The Student Room Group

Ukip candidate suggests abortion for foetuses with Down's syndrome

As title. Couldn't see a thread.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/18/ukip-candidate-abortion-for-downs-syndrome

Among the ideas listed for discussion by Clarke was "compulsory abortion when the foetus is detected as having Downs, spina bifida or similar syndrome which, if it is born, will render the child a burden on the state as well as on the family".
Reply 1
That is disgusting. Just shows how much of an ignorant halfwit he is.
UKIP have acted decisively and quickly following this incident which is good to see; makes a change from the main parties.
Reply 3
why downs syndrome? those downs syndrome guys seem pretty happy to me.
He's been removed from UKIP within an hour of this breaking.

Very quick response to a complete idiot.
COMPULSORY? What the hell is he trying to suggest? Christ, glad he was chucked out quickly.
Reply 6
This is in no way representative of UKIP or its members. Every other UKIP member I've spoken to about this has expressed utter shock and abject disgust.
Reply 7
Another feeble attempt by leftists to smear UKIP.

You failed!!! HAHAHAHAHAA
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
He's been removed from UKIP within an hour of this breaking.

Very quick response to a complete idiot.

Idiot is one word for it.

My nephew has Downs and we wouldn't change him for the world.
This is just terrible.
Don't use this to smear UKIP, unlike the main parties they have acted incredibly swiftly and decisively on this. One hour on and the guy is no longer a member of the party - very impressive. Unlike the man himself.
Reply 11
...What the hell is wrong with him?!
What about foetuses which will be blind and deaf? Yeah, how dare you deny them the lovely life a blind and deaf person could enjoy. It's a little bit like Gatika. Maybe this is something we should be doing. Or rather have artificial insemination with the 'perfect' genes to breed a human super race. We all have decent genes, just some of them go into our offspring.

I guess the counter argument to this UKIP candidate is that anyone who disagrees wants biological disability complications to exist. This isn't about killing off already existing people.
Original post by dj1015
Another feeble attempt by leftists to smear UKIP.

You failed!!! HAHAHAHAHAA

Well bar the BNP none of the other parties have anyone this dangerously stupid in them and you don't need to be on the left to dislike UKIP...
Well he is kind of right it would very very marginally ease burden on the state and certainly on the families.
Reply 15
Original post by Alex_Jones
Well bar the BNP none of the other parties have anyone this dangerously stupid in them and you don't need to be on the left to dislike UKIP...

There probably are people who share hardcore views in each party
Reply 16
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
UKIP have acted decisively and quickly following this incident which is good to see; makes a change from the main parties.

Nope.

Ukip had initially backed Geoffrey Clark, saying that members held "a range of views and opinions" that were not party policy and adding that while it disagreed with his comments, they were contained in a "personal manifesto".

But following a backlash, the party performed a u-turn and said in a later statement the views of the would-be Kent county councillor were "abhorrent" and that he would not be standing for the party again.
Original post by TimHuak
why downs syndrome? those downs syndrome guys seem pretty happy to me.

It's a pretty serious medical condition.

Where would we draw the line on this? There are people out there with some medical conditions who live a normal life. There are people out there with the same diagnosis who have some serious issues as a result.

I think it should be up to the parents to decide on whether the fetus should be aborted or not. They're the ones raising the child; no-one else.
What a numpty, but if he's already been removed from the party or as a candidate or whatever then there isn't much else to say.
Original post by Snagprophet
What about foetuses which will be blind and deaf? Yeah, how dare you deny them the lovely life a blind and deaf person could enjoy. It's a little bit like Gatika. Maybe this is something we should be doing. Or rather have artificial insemination with the 'perfect' genes to breed a human super race. We all have decent genes, just some of them go into our offspring.

I guess the counter argument to this UKIP candidate is that anyone who disagrees wants biological disability complications to exist. This isn't about killing off already existing people.

Or maybe the counter argument to this is that not everyone is a crazy fascist that believes in Eugenics?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending