The Student Room Group

Feel like I can't cope..(AS-Level)

I have an AS-level biology exam in Jan (AQA unit 1) and I've never been so petrified for an exam in my life... I think its the jump from GCSE to A level. I got a B in biology last year and wanted to do something involving medicine. Now that I have seen AS Biology-those days are long gone :tongue:
I'm getting constant U's just in biology (history and IT are perfectly fine) and obviously it is demoralising me. I've spoken to my teacher about it and she is really understanding but I still have no confidence in my ability (or lack of as the case may be haha)

so is there any advice? can I revise differently to what I'm doing now (notes, diagrams, CGP books etc)
Reply 1
Hold on, Let me motivate you. Warning this will suck. Sorry for bad skills.
You can do it girl/boy. You got the skills and the brain, If you can get B's at GCSE than you can get at least a C! Believe in yourself, and think of it as an orange. You may not like oranges, but if you eat the orange you'll get free chocolate with it.. and you cannot resist the chocolate. So just work your ass off for it and it will probably pay off. :biggrin: If your teacher has confidence, why don't you?
I have no idea about A levels yet, but it's the same for all exams really.
Try Internet sites, I am sure that TSR has some revision notes for it, just look around. Also, BBC bitesize has some stuff on it as well.
Youtube videos would be great, and there's a lot of them.
Get typing, revising and good luck :smile:

P.S. What sort of things do you learn in Biology, thinking of taking it for my A level next year.
Reply 2
yea A levels have that affect :smile:, but trust me it gets better especially at A2, which is where i am at now. The best thing to do it use the past papers, examiners reports etc that that are provided on the AQA website as that helped me alot in my A.S exams :smile:
Reply 3
haha thank you both :smile: (I'm a guy :P)
and heres a link to all the stuff you do at a level, hope it helps :smile: :
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2410-W-SP.PDF
Download the specification and go through it. Furthermore, relax and go to the library If you need to. I'm doing an 'intensive year' which is basically year 12 and year 13 combined into 1 year and I'm able to keep up whilst following the spec/library method. Give it a go, see if it works well for you?
Reply 5
It is a whole different game at a level, I remember finding that myself at the time, so don't worry- you are definitely not alone.

i remember my first unit one biology mock - I got an E. with a lot, and I mean hours and hours of hard work, it can be done, you just need to improve revision techniques by preparing early and doing lots and lots and lots of past papers- honestly cannot emphasise their importance especially with AQA as the questions tend to repeat themselves. Also ask your teachers about things you don't understand and get them to go through it until you do. Definitions and longer questions on things like enzymes are really easy marks that you will easily pick up on when doing lots of past papers. The textbook and cgp books are also useful. The specification is also vital to check you've covered everything.

I got an A overall and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but with hard work I'm sure you'll manage to get a decent grade, especially with a B at GCSE.

good luck!! (:
Reply 6
thank you very much :P all of these posts helped me get me round the mental block I had :smile:
Original post by strawzy
I have an AS-level biology exam in Jan (AQA unit 1) and I've never been so petrified for an exam in my life... I think its the jump from GCSE to A level. I got a B in biology last year and wanted to do something involving medicine. Now that I have seen AS Biology-those days are long gone :tongue:
I'm getting constant U's just in biology (history and IT are perfectly fine) and obviously it is demoralising me. I've spoken to my teacher about it and she is really understanding but I still have no confidence in my ability (or lack of as the case may be haha)

so is there any advice? can I revise differently to what I'm doing now (notes, diagrams, CGP books etc)

If you struggle at AS then you are actually a retard.
Look up some videos on khan academy that might help explain some of the concepts :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
*Us

YOU DON'T APOSTROPHISE PLURALS

Quick Reply

Latest