The Student Room Group

So, I'm looking for someone to hang around with when I go to London..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by F1Addict
Just a warning, but the weather will most likely be awful in autumn. Expect rain and grey, dull cloudy days. :frown:

I'd thought I'd add on the Skype idea. Whoever you find, I roughly guess you've got about 6 months to get to know them before you actually meet them. Use Skype (video call at least once so you know what they look like), Facebook, e-mail, etc. to make sure they're a nice person, and not some creep. It'll also make the first time you actually meet up in person less awkward, and you'll have a lot more to talk about. Good luck.

:biggrin: Exact reason I am going in Autumn! I love the rain...also another reason why I hope to move there one day. :P

Thanks F1 :smile:

Original post by Beige_Angel
Y'know OP, TSR isn't the only sociable website online with young people. Have you looked into Gumtree yet? If you go to the London page and click on the 'community' section you'll find loads of stuff going on in the area and many people looking to meet new friends. You can always find events and classes being listed on there along with people looking to make new friends.

Another option is Meetup (google it) which is AMAZING if you want to meet new people seeing as it's the whole point of the website. Basically, it's full of groups of people with particular hobbies - say yoga, or photography, food, languages etc - who set up events online with open invites. Anyone can turn up as long as they can get there. Sometimes there's a small fee if there's materials involved or if the leader is qualified in their hobby and teaching others but it's not usually more than a few pounds. I've personally gone to a couple meetups from this website and it is both legit and enjoyable. I highly recommend this site if you like to try new things or just meet like-minded people!

Now Craigslist, on the other hand, is a site you should probably stay well away from. Whole different group of people on there :rolleyes:

Hah...If meetup is as great as you say, I'll try to find a group on finding friends in/near London!
As far as gumtree...I've *heard* of it...but haven't actually been there..I'll do this today...thanks :smile:

Don't get me started about craigslist......*shudders* :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Corpsgirl
How abouts do I find someone to hang around with/get to know before I head over there?
I don't want to be a *weirdo* and I don't want to attract creepy guys, but I do want someone local to join me when I go places :biggrin:

Anyone know of any cool websites/forums/etc that will best suit this topic?

Edit, Adding a little bit of info-

-I'm mainly looking to explore as much as possible, not into all the tourist-y type of sites.
I do want to see the London Eye, and cruise on the River Thames..
But I want my experience to be more intimate with the city, I want a unique experience on the daily lives of Londoners. (I plan to move there one day!)
I'm also planning on visiting Southampton.

-I'm 20, from the United States. (Although I'll be 21 by the time I visit)

-Looking to visit around Autumn time of 2013.

-When I meant 'Creepy guys' I really meant guys who are just looking to erm..not sure how to say it politely, but I'm not looking for guys who are going to try and bed me.

What do you expect TSR to do?
Reply 22

:biggrin: Exact reason I am going in Autumn! I love the rain...also another reason why I hope to move there one day. :P

Thanks F1 :smile:

Ah, each to their own I guess. :smile:

Btw, whats with the 'zoom in' icons?
Reply 23
I'll show you around East London if you want :h:
Reply 24
Original post by .Scout.
I'll show you around East London if you want :h:

No need, here's East London in a nutshell, OP:

Reply 25
Yeah yeah old post, but HAHA that is one funny reply :smile:

Anywho, how the **** do I get from gatwick to central london?
Anywho, how the **** do I get from gatwick to central london?

There are trains from Gatwick to Victoria and London Bridge.
Reply 27
Original post by RamocitoMorales
There are trains from Gatwick to Victoria and London Bridge.

Neat, thanks man.

Next up on the list, where is a good place in Central London or Gatwick to buy a prepaid Orange phone plan and get a SIM card? I recently unlocked my iPhone 5C (Lol, Sprint is the best!) and I need to have phone service while I'm over there.

Quick Reply

Latest