The Student Room Group

I need advice on deciding what to do with my life.

During the last couple of years I never really thought about what I wanted to do. I didn't like the idea, and still don't for the most part, of working and especially didn't like the idea of career (I am aware it may sound crazy to some of you). I didn't care for it much and went along with what the people around me told me I should do, all I wanted to do was travel the world for life. I went along with applying to university and such as with the majority of late teens and ended up with a place at the University of Manchester to study mechanical engineering and a place at the University of Calgary, Canada, to study physics. I opted for the latter purely because I thought it would be more of an adventure and kind of a beginning of my travels.

It was not long before I came to the sudden realisation that I had made a mistake and that I had also been mistaken in my choices over the last two years. Albeit I continued my studies. In the little spare time I had I frantically searched and thought and tried to figure out what it is I must do. I knew that I didn't want to study physics or engineering and that university in Calgary was not for me.

However I still could not find what it is that would make me happy and what I truly want in life but in the long term travelling the world may not be the best idea. I considered studying to be an accountant, something else in the finance/economics/banking sector or a lawyer. I love film so I decided to apply to study a film degree in the hope of being a director but it was not long before I doubted that. I'm interested in architecture and being an architect but I don't want to spend a lot of years at university. I considered environmental science as well as a career in the intelligence service, something which I had always thought about.

Yet I am still no closer to figuring out what it is I want to do. I am now at the end of my first term at university and drastically need to try to figure out in the next few days what I must do. I think I definitely want to complete my studies back in England and in particular in London, although this is not a firm decision. I have been thinking about doing a languages degree that could be combined (eg. Arabic and Persian, Arabic and Russian, Law and Arabic, Film and Russian, Philosophy and Arabic etc.) or an engineering degree, something that does not have a narrow job scope and whose graduates end up in all kinds of jobs and fields.

I only talk as if university is the only option because I have not come across any alternatives that I believe would allow me to fulfil the life I want to live.

If you understood any of this I would be incredibly grateful for any help, thoughts or advice.

Thank you
It's not easier working out what you want to do. I had my mindset for a numbers of years on one career path which hasn't worked out. But during this period of trying to get this career. I a job that I really enjoyed and it made me realise what I really want to do. Am now hoping to head to uni to study sport and physical education as I want to become a pe teacher. After having worked as a sport coach. It sometimes takes time to really find that one thing you will enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending