Reply 40
Finally made a decision I'm firming NTU :smile:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by 747-400
Ah mine are ABB for both. NTU might change theirs to ABB for you I think they have for most people :smile:

Ah that would be better tbh, I think if I get the offer I will definitely put NTU first anyway! Yesterday confirmed that for me! Thanks for your help btw, think it went okay yesterday but you really can't tell can you!!
Reply 42
Original post by BS95
Finally made a decision I'm firming NTU :smile:

Aw that's great :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by NT95
Ah that would be better tbh, I think if I get the offer I will definitely put NTU first anyway! Yesterday confirmed that for me! Thanks for your help btw, think it went okay yesterday but you really can't tell can you!!

Sure you'll get an offer! The course sounds good don't it, and the uni is nice.. What grades do you think you'll get??
I'm on this course at the moment and coming to the end of my first year, if any of you have got any questions feel free to message me :smile:
One piece of advise I would give anyone is 100% do not underestimate how hard this course is! That includes how hard it is to secure a placement! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 45
Original post by tasminholly
I'm on this course at the moment and coming to the end of my first year, if any of you have got any questions feel free to message me :smile:
One piece of advise I would give anyone is 100% do not underestimate how hard this course is! That includes how hard it is to secure a placement! :smile:

Hey Taz :wink: just saw your comment there, thought i know that name :smile:

Yeah Im in my 1st year too just sorting out placements and I agree with what Taz says its not an easy way out :smile: Feel free to ask anything :smile:
hey I am currently on this course!! in first year... do not underestimate how hard it is.. this is not a normal degree :smile: reply if you have any questions xxx
Reply 47
Hi guys, I'm also on my first year of this course.

First things first I would definitely recommend the course to anyone is ambitious and determined to succeed in business, the opportunities it provide are brilliant. However, the course is very hard work (especially years 2+3) and will not allow you to have a normal uni experience. It's becoming more and more difficult to get a placement, as companies like Boots/Experian/Severn Trent are pulling out so don't listen to anyone who says a placement is guaranteed. For me coming onto this course would still be worth the risk - the majority of students on the course will come out with a degree, no debt and 2 years work experience and if you've performed well, almost a guaranteed job. Any questions feel free to ask...
Reply 48
Original post by BS95
Sure you'll get an offer! The course sounds good don't it, and the uni is nice.. What grades do you think you'll get??

I got the offer!! They've offered me ABB like you said, which is great as that's much more achievable as long as i put the work in now... Maths and French especially!!

Good to hear from those of you already on the course.. do any of you regret not going to another uni for a 'normal' degree to get the whole uni experience?! That's the one thing that worries me about this course however it seems too much of an offer to refuse:confused:
Reply 49
I'm a first year on this course as well; I don't regret doing it as you still get a decent uni experience in the first year in terms of going out and all that. Just make sure you know what to expect with the whole placement process. I'll gladly answer any questions if you have any.
Reply 50
Original post by NT95
I got the offer!! They've offered me ABB like you said, which is great as that's much more achievable as long as i put the work in now... Maths and French especially!!

Good to hear from those of you already on the course.. do any of you regret not going to another uni for a 'normal' degree to get the whole uni experience?! That's the one thing that worries me about this course however it seems too much of an offer to refuse:confused:

Congrats! French is so hard though I agree :frown:
Reply 51
Original post by DaveJH
I'm a first year on this course as well; I don't regret doing it as you still get a decent uni experience in the first year in terms of going out and all that. Just make sure you know what to expect with the whole placement process. I'll gladly answer any questions if you have any.

Hi, so you'd recommend the course over other business BSC degrees like liverpool, lancs etc just regular ones with a placement year. Is the workload not to bad in 1st year? What's the process of finding placements like and has everyone In your year secured them?! I just need as much info as I can to definitely decide on my firm, so any info you have is much appreciated and good to hear it from someone who's on course first hand!
Reply 52
Original post by lozzieeannxo
hey I am currently on this course!! in first year... do not underestimate how hard it is.. this is not a normal degree :smile: reply if you have any questions xxx

Is course really as good opportunity as it sounds?! There's gotta be some hidden drawback, beyond the large workload etc:P
Reply 53
Original post by BS95
Hi, so you'd recommend the course over other business BSC degrees like liverpool, lancs etc just regular ones with a placement year. Is the workload not to bad in 1st year? What's the process of finding placements like and has everyone In your year secured them?! I just need as much info as I can to definitely decide on my firm, so any info you have is much appreciated and good to hear it from someone who's on course first hand!

I'd recommend it - nice chance to set yourself up in a career. I've not particularly found the workload too strenuous and I've had plenty of free time. We're currently going through the placement process at the minute but you submit an application (CV etc.) to up to 5 of the affiliated companies, and if that's successful you'll progress to the interview stage. In some cases you'll have to undertake psychometric tests and be successful in those in order to gain an interview. It's all up in the air at the minute so I can't say how many have been placed, we're all currently waiting to hear back from the companies.
Reply 54
Original post by DaveJH
I'd recommend it - nice chance to set yourself up in a career. I've not particularly found the workload too strenuous and I've had plenty of free time. We're currently going through the placement process at the minute but you submit an application (CV etc.) to up to 5 of the affiliated companies, and if that's successful you'll progress to the interview stage. In some cases you'll have to undertake psychometric tests and be successful in those in order to gain an interview. It's all up in the air at the minute so I can't say how many have been placed, we're all currently waiting to hear back from the companies.

Glad the workload aspect doesn't seem too bad, but I was told tat all students were guaranteed a placement all with blue chip companies, what are the kinda roles and companies on offer, and average salary?? Obviously it's such a good opportunity it appears, does worry me that the placements dnt seem a cert though://
Original post by BS95
Is course really as good opportunity as it sounds?! There's gotta be some hidden drawback, beyond the large workload etc:P

Hey.. yeah i think the hidden drawback would be that they make it sound like you'll definitely get a placement, which is SO not the case! I have been lucky enough to do well in the application process so far and I've got interviews lined up but I know of people who have really struggled to just make it past CV stage! But you do get alot of advice re, covering letters, CV's etc so if you listen to it and apply it you should be okay.. you must have done well enough to get onto the course anyway. There's hardly any academic work in the first year really..(easy if you have done A levels!) but you set up and run a limited
company which takes up so much more time than you think. I would still reccomend the course but just be aware that you have to work really hard to get a placement, companies will not consider you purely because youre on the course. You have to have decent work experience. Also, alot of companies have dropped out which they may not tell you about. At the minute its only Barclays, Rolls Royce, Toyota and Tesco! xxx
Original post by NT95

Yeah sometimes i do regret not doing a normal degree sometimes, this course can get very stressul at times with interviews ..and thats just first year haha :smile: student life is great and part of me doesnt want to leave uni so soon after it seems like we only just got here..
but i think you have to think of it from a long term point of view..we will be better off in a few years! so id still reccomend the course.. just make the most out of your first and only proper year at uni haha :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by lozzieeannxo
Hey.. yeah i think the hidden drawback would be that they make it sound like you'll definitely get a placement, which is SO not the case! I have been lucky enough to do well in the application process so far and I've got interviews lined up but I know of people who have really struggled to just make it past CV stage! But you do get alot of advice re, covering letters, CV's etc so if you listen to it and apply it you should be okay.. you must have done well enough to get onto the course anyway. There's hardly any academic work in the first year really..(easy if you have done A levels!) but you set up and run a limited
company which takes up so much more time than you think. I would still reccomend the course but just be aware that you have to work really hard to get a placement, companies will not consider you purely because youre on the course. You have to have decent work experience. Also, alot of companies have dropped out which they may not tell you about. At the minute its only Barclays, Rolls Royce, Toyota and Tesco! xxx

Thanks for this! Put a bit of a spanner in works now though! How many placements are on offer in comparison to number of students on BABM? When does the placement process start? Are you confident? My big worry is that I'd end up without placement and then just have a normal degree, when I could have gone to a better nicer uni like Lancaster. Did you think the same? But the opportunity it if it goes to plan sounds so good!
Reply 58
Original post by BS95
Thanks for this! Put a bit of a spanner in works now though! How many placements are on offer in comparison to number of students on BABM? When does the placement process start? Are you confident? My big worry is that I'd end up without placement and then just have a normal degree, when I could have gone to a better nicer uni like Lancaster. Did you think the same? But the opportunity it if it goes to plan sounds so good!

There's over 50 places theoretically on offer for 48 students. The placement process started about a fortnight ago now, most people are having/have had interviews by now.

Personally, this was the only course I wanted as I wasn't overenamoured with the thought of university anyway; the fact that there was a decent chance of getting a career after three years is what made me decide to take a gamble and actually come to university so I can't answer re: if I worried about going to a more prestigious university. I think it comes down to whether you fancy a gamble or not - Trent is a less prestigious uni but if you're successful in finding a placement you'll be in a better position than those graduating from one of the more prestigious universities. It's worth noting that if you fail to find a placement you can either transfer onto a standard course at Trent, or drop out and reapply for one of the more prestigious unis. It will cost you a year admittedly, but at least you've taken the risk and had the chance of it paying off.
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree with Dave, it's a chance, but a gamble that may ultimately be worth taking. I turned down a course at Kings College London to do this but it gives you more opportunities (like running a limited company at 18) than a "normal" business course, even at a prestige uni, ever could. Yes it can be hard at times and placements aren't as guaranteed as you might like but it'll give you skills and experience that are invaluable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending