The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Business Management (In-Company) at Nottingham Trent replies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BS95
Thanks for this! Put a bit of a spanner in works now though! How many placements are on offer in comparison to number of students on BABM? When does the placement process start? Are you confident? My big worry is that I'd end up without placement and then just have a normal degree, when I could have gone to a better nicer uni like Lancaster. Did you think the same? But the opportunity it if it goes to plan sounds so good!

There's more placements than students..but if the companies don't find who they are looking for they wont give all their places out. Placement process starts at 'Placement week' in February.. but even before that you do presentations infront of some of the companies so really they are watching you from November! I think this course is worth the gamble IF you are willing to work hard on your applications and therefore get placed! x
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by 747-400
Ah mine are ABB for both. NTU might change theirs to ABB for you I think they have for most people :smile:

Don't quote me on this.. but I'd say don't worry too much about your grades! I'm on this course at the minute and I only got BBC...x
Reply 62
Original post by BS95
Thanks for your help, it's a bit bad that the Uni didn't emphasis the fact that placements aren't a guarantee.. But do you feel confident you will? And what are average salaries like? Totally agree I think it's worth the risk, and if you out the work in then rewards should come. And if worse comes to worst I could always reapply, do you think that'll happen with a few ppl this year? It does sound exciting and worth a risk if I'm honest

I feel quite confident; I'm a firm believer that what will be will be so I'm not too worried about it in all honesty. The average salaries while on placement are around £10,000, the lowest is £9,000 and I think the highest is £16,000.
Reply 63
I agree with everything that has been said really :smile:

I think the reason they are looking for higher grades is because they want to know students will work hard, in your 2 and 3rd year you are working and doing a degree so they want to know students are up for the challenge and will meet the work lode but saying that if they meet you and like you and you can show them other skills your grades aren't the only factor they look at.

I did really want to go to Nottingham Uni and I got the grades to study management but I would have been stupid to turn this course down. You still get the complete Uni experience in your first year and you get extra benefits such as being so close to your course mates because there are so few of you - we are like a BABM family :smile:

Also I just thought if i am successful in 2years time I will have a job, degree, salary and very little debt where as my friends could have at least 3 years of uni fees and living debts to pay back and no job.

The course might not suit everybody's learn style but I really think if you have been offered a place its worth taking it :smile:
Reply 64
You know because there are now only RR, Toyota, Tesco and Barclays, does this mean no Experian etc? And what's it like trying to find your own placement?
Reply 65
Original post by 747-400
You know because there are now only RR, Toyota, Tesco and Barclays, does this mean no Experian etc? And what's it like trying to find your own placement?

yeah Experian have pulled out because they have started a new course with trent called management and leadership which is 3 years. Thats not to say they wont come back in the future but they had pulled out for our year.

The Uni do support you if you would like to find your own placements and there are a few people who have done it, a girl in the year above us is working for Aston Martin. There are plenty of opportunities to talk to older students as well so you can get lots of information.
Reply 66
Original post by elliee_93
yeah Experian have pulled out because they have started a new course with trent called management and leadership which is 3 years. Thats not to say they wont come back in the future but they had pulled out for our year.

The Uni do support you if you would like to find your own placements and there are a few people who have done it, a girl in the year above us is working for Aston Martin. There are plenty of opportunities to talk to older students as well so you can get lots of information.

Cheers your help is invaluable, I should easily get grades I hope so gonna firm it! It does seem a risk and hopefully companies don't pull out, but I suppose as salaries aren't too high plus they have pay uni fees, around 20k for them isn't too bad a deal if you are doing graduate style jobs, are most jobs local or who pays for accommodation during y2 and 3? Is the teaching good, you get decent help with work and placement process?
Reply 67
Original post by BS95
Cheers your help is invaluable, I should easily get grades I hope so gonna firm it! It does seem a risk and hopefully companies don't pull out, but I suppose as salaries aren't too high plus they have pay uni fees, around 20k for them isn't too bad a deal if you are doing graduate style jobs, are most jobs local or who pays for accommodation during y2 and 3? Is the teaching good, you get decent help with work and placement process?

You pay for your own accommodation in years two and three; however with your salary it's easily affordable. Apparently you get a good deal on accommodation as a 'management trainee' and with a number of you likely sharing a house, rent isn't too high. I wouldn't worry too much about your salary in the placement years - anything is a bonus to what most students are getting and upon graduation your salary increases anyway. I've been told the post-graduation salary at Barclays starts at £30,000 which isn't bad at all! Rolls-Royce are in Derby, Toyota and Tesco are down South, and Barclays is all over the place - you can apparently choose a rough location where you want to be placed.

I can't complain with the standard of teaching; I've found everyone extremely helpful and willing to help.
Reply 68
Original post by DaveJH
You pay for your own accommodation in years two and three; however with your salary it's easily affordable. Apparently you get a good deal on accommodation as a 'management trainee' and with a number of you likely sharing a house, rent isn't too high. I wouldn't worry too much about your salary in the placement years - anything is a bonus to what most students are getting and upon graduation your salary increases anyway. I've been told the post-graduation salary at Barclays starts at £30,000 which isn't bad at all! Rolls-Royce are in Derby, Toyota and Tesco are down South, and Barclays is all over the place - you can apparently choose a rough location where you want to be placed.

I can't complain with the standard of teaching; I've found everyone extremely helpful and willing to help.

Sounds good and exciting time for you! Hope you're successful with your placement. I am going to firm NTU, and take a chance that the course does live up to expectations and uni life is good! Worth a risk! Outta interest what grades did you get into course with and other people on it? My requirements have been lowered to abb as of last week but apparently people are accepted with way lower?
Reply 69
Original post by BS95
Sounds good and exciting time for you! Hope you're successful with your placement. I am going to firm NTU, and take a chance that the course does live up to expectations and uni life is good! Worth a risk! Outta interest what grades did you get into course with and other people on it? My requirements have been lowered to abb as of last week but apparently people are accepted with way lower?

I got on with BCC which I think were the lowest grades out of everyone on the course, but on the other hand some people got all A*s. Good decision on making it your firm, I've honestly enjoyed this year and hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to enjoy my second and third years too! Thanks for your well wishes, also.
Reply 70
Original post by DaveJH
I got on with BCC which I think were the lowest grades out of everyone on the course, but on the other hand some people got all A*s. Good decision on making it your firm, I've honestly enjoyed this year and hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to enjoy my second and third years too! Thanks for your well wishes, also.

So on results day you just rang them and you still got on the course? And yes best of luck!
Reply 71

The companies remaining are still impressive though! Are the placements reserved for BABM students or on offer for those around country etc? Any indication so far if your application likely to be successful, and any tips on how to try and give yourself as good a chance to get onto a placement? Past work experience or just good research etc?
Is the content in year 1 much harder than A level and how many hrs a week are you in lessons etc?
Reply 72
Original post by BS95
So on results day you just rang them and you still got on the course? And yes best of luck!

I did, fortunately I was able to make enough of an impression to be accepted.
I agree with all of what Dave's said. I myself was worried about the issue of Russell Group universities etc. For a business management course without the placement then academically the top universities are the way forward. However with the placement it ranks as one of the best courses offered nationally. Employers are looking experience and this course allows you to stand out from the competition especially with so few jobs about.

I would like to point out however that it doesn't suit everyone, and i would emphasise the fact you do have to 'back' yourself. There is enough places for everyone but these are not guaranteed in the slightest. I fully believe it's worth the risk though as the starting salary when upon completing your degree and placement will be around 25-30k.

Companies do not just give jobs out, you have to earn them and don't underestimate the difficulty of this. Some have simply had CV's and covering letters rejected - even after spending hours on them. Throughout the year i would suggest doing psychometric tests, as many (myself included) have failed to get to assessment centres through not ranking high enough in the results. This is due to lack of intelligence as at A-level i got A*AA.

At a Polytechnic like Trent more people go out and get smashed than a "Uni of". Nottingham has a top notch night-life and a lot of girls which is quality from a male perspective - apparently it's a 3:1 ratio of girls to lads.

Overall, be confident in your own abilities - if your good enough the places are there and it's a brilliant opportunity. In the same respect choose a placement because it's what you want and enjoy rather than money. Don't set your heart on one company as they may pull out and others companies may sign up.

I may seem somewhat pessimistic but it is honestly really decent and i've enjoyed it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Original post by BS95
The companies remaining are still impressive though! Are the placements reserved for BABM students or on offer for those around country etc? Any indication so far if your application likely to be successful, and any tips on how to try and give yourself as good a chance to get onto a placement? Past work experience or just good research etc?
Is the content in year 1 much harder than A level and how many hrs a week are you in lessons etc?

some companies specifically take BABMs but others are open to others aswell. tips for getting a placement would be practice psychometric tests, put loads of work into CV and covering letters, and I think work experience is pretty vital. you can get through without it but it's sooo much harder to think of example in interviews, and also fill out your cv, if you dont have any. I would say year 1 is easier than A level academically. in the first term we had 12 hours of lectures as week, but there is soo much group work to do it takes up alot of time. as the year has gone on lectures have dropped down and now were on 6-8 hours a week ish.
Reply 75
Original post by BS95

I haven't found the work that much harder apart from some of the accountancy modules. I think it depends how much time you give to working on your studies and doing the set tasks etc because they dont chase you up like you might have found at school.

The applications do tend to be saved for BABM and have they have a rough number of places they want to offer to BABM students though saying that they wont just take you because they are offering the place - they want good students.

We are still in the interview process but will know by the end of the month. Companies really like work experience and voluntary work so make sure you have a good variety because you need to make your CV stand out. You do get help from the Uni though when it comes to writing applications and CVs, so dont worry :smile:
Reply 76
I haven't found the work that much harder apart from some of the accountancy modules. I think it depends how much time you give to working on your studies and doing the set tasks etc because they dont chase you up like you might have found at school.

The applications do tend to be saved for BABM and have they have a rough number of places they want to offer to BABM students though saying that they wont just take you because they are offering the place - they want good students.

We are still in the interview process but will know by the end of the month. Companies really like work experience and voluntary work so make sure you have a good variety because you need to make your CV stand out. You do get help from the Uni though when it comes to writing applications and CVs, so dont worry :smile:

Thanks for your help, so good hearing from a current student. So you'd definitely recommend this course over general business degrees at Lancaster or Liverpool were I have my offer. Seems like although more prestigious, these placements at NTu (if they go to plan) give you greater advantage over other grads?
Original post by BS95
The lady at Open day also said BABm students are given more attention and kind of preferential treatment throughout the business school and uni? Is this true? She kind of made it out that they don't mix with other students that much..

without a doubt she's bull ****ting massively - take no notice of that. BABM's usually all go out drinking etc together though - but that's the same across any course.
Reply 78
Original post by BS95
The lady at Open day also said BABm students are given more attention and kind of preferential treatment throughout the business school and uni? Is this true? She kind of made it out that they don't mix with other students that much..

Think there might be a little bit of overselling there, unfortunately. We're very well treated by the staff involved on our course, don't get me wrong, but on the whole I'd be willing to bet the majority of the business school doesn't have a clue who we are.

As Liam said, we mainly just go out as coursemates which is pretty standard for everyone at uni unless they're part of a society or team.
Original post by BS95

You don't mix with the rest of the business school only because you've got completely different lectures and lecturers, you're not segregated. I live with a girl who's also in the business school and she'd never heard of the In Company course whilst some of her course friends have. There's no preferential treatment what so ever but people and other lecturers might know its slightly harder is all

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending