The Student Room Group

Guessed answers on numeracy assessment tests?

Do you think when doing the numeracy tests you get credit for answers that you obviously guess towards the end?

For example if you guess the last 5 answers correctly of an SHL test, spending about 2 seconds on each answer (answers would be impossible to work out in that time) do you think the system flags it?
Probably. Normally with numerical tests, you get about 25 questions to do in 30 minutes. Say, for example, that you complete 18 normally and guess the last 7. Common co-occurrence, I did that regularly. System probably flags it and your employer knows it's happened. You've proven that:

You panic under pressure

You won't think rationally towards the end of a task because you're motivated by the idea of finishing more than the idea of learning

You can't plan ahead

Your quick mathematical reasoning is sub-par

If, for example, you do the first 20 and don't attempt the last 5, it shows:

You stay calm under pressure

You think about completion and doing things well rather than doing things quickly

You plan ahead and manage time constraints

Nothing about your quick mathematical reasoning

By going slower, you reveal nothing about your personality. By speeding through at the end, you reveal flaws that employers might penalise you for.
Reply 2
Yeah I kind of agree,

It depends what the objective is though.

If it is to get the highest score possible then you would be a fool not to guess the last answers.
Reply 3
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Probably. Normally with numerical tests, you get about 25 questions to do in 30 minutes. Say, for example, that you complete 18 normally and guess the last 7. Common co-occurrence, I did that regularly. System probably flags it and your employer knows it's happened. You've proven that:

You panic under pressure

You won't think rationally towards the end of a task because you're motivated by the idea of finishing more than the idea of learning

You can't plan ahead

Your quick mathematical reasoning is sub-par

If, for example, you do the first 20 and don't attempt the last 5, it shows:

You stay calm under pressure

You think about completion and doing things well rather than doing things quickly

You plan ahead and manage time constraints

Nothing about your quick mathematical reasoning

By going slower, you reveal nothing about your personality. By speeding through at the end, you reveal flaws that employers might penalise you for.

I don't know how you can conclude half of those things. If it is multiple choice you have x% of getting an answer right by guessing, with some quick reasoning you can probably eliminate that down to a couple of answers.

What does it have to do without planning ahead? The person answering 18 has ran out of time, same with 20. The person with 18 has at least had some initiative.

You hardly learn during numeracy assessments, very often you don't even get the answers back so what exactly are you learning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending