The Student Room Group

Avoiding self-plagiarism

I'm currently writing an essay for my MA that is somewhat related to an earlier essay I have written for the same module. The first essay was theoretical, whereas the one I am on now is a case study - however, I do need to refer to theory in this essay and I cannot really avoid using some of the same references this time around. Is it acceptable to use some of the same references to allude to my theories?

I am not sure of the morality/legality of this? I have contacted my tutor but no reply so I assume I won't get a response until after the new year.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Original post by detrix
... I cannot really avoid using some of the same references this time around. Is it acceptable to use some of the same references to allude to my theories?

that's perfectly fine.
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
that's perfectly fine.

Ive been told by another student that I need to cite my previous essay because it went through Turnitin; do you know if this is the case?
Original post by detrix
Ive been told by another student that I need to cite my previous essay because it went through Turnitin; do you know if this is the case?

if you are using lengthy chunks of the same wording, this might be sensible precaution. But you anyway shouldn't be doing that. But if you're only employing the same sources, that isn't a problem at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending