The Student Room Group

New neighbour complaing of noise

So new I am not sure how long he has lived here!

I have been here 2 and a half years and first time anyone complained about me so says a lot.

I didnt take much in as its early in morning but have been ill last week so sleeping as much as 20 hours a day, the guy complains I am keeping him up all night hoovering, when tonight I hoovered living room for about 2 minutes as spilled sauce and scrubbed and cleaned it and kitchen both which are away from the bedroom,so eitherhe is a very light sleeper or just sensitive to sound.

You can hear something when the hooveris on but considering he cannot hear my fan heaters which are above him in bedroom how can he hear a hoover 2 rooms away.

Not doubting him but even tonight I hoovered hours ago, he knocked on my door at 5.30am when I was reheating some hot chocolate so maybe its my microwave he hears.

What is your interpretation? I can see why he could be annoyed but I shouldnt have to avoid getting out of bed just to suit him.

This is only second time in my life have had complaint about late night noise, in fact people often think I am so quiet I have either moved out or gone away for a while.
Reply 1
My neighbors are SO noisy! In fact i can hear them now:angry: lol. there is a teenager with a reception aged child. there is screaming and banging and talking loudly and washing machine at all hours of the night. Our front doors are right next to each other and she's had .... 2 or 3 guys seemingly staying with her since xmas and we hear them even louder when they go outside to smoke (all sorts of substances that make my hallway smell...

What can i do!?! I wear ear plugs when i'm revising or studying... maybe suggest this to your neighbor?? You really don't sound bad in comparison to some neighbors. Maybe don't answer the door to him? especially in the middle of the night... creepy!!
Reply 2
Things like baths,hoovers,washing machines should not be used late at night or to early in the morning and you do need to be considerate about walking about and closing doors. It sucks but that is the downside to living in flats. But aside from the late night hoovering it doesn't seem like you have done anything wrong. I would just fob him off everytime he complains or just don't answer the door.
Reply 3
This guy just seems to have some sleeping issues. Just don't do any loud things like hoovering or listening to loud TV/music. If you're using a microwave or something like that, I am sure that's fine and he is just over reacting and needs to take a chill pill. He just seems annoying. You're not doing anything wrong and if no one else complains, screw him and live your life as you do, just don't hoover at night :tongue:

I am not a great neighbor myself, but I don't give a damn because my neighbors have loud sex at 3 am which I really don't appreciate:angry:(Seriously, like 2 children isn't enough!) and I want to kill them, PAINFULLY.
If he had neighbors like that, he could complain.
Reply 4
Original post by drbluebox
So new I am not sure how long he has lived here!

I have been here 2 and a half years and first time anyone complained about me so says a lot.

I didnt take much in as its early in morning but have been ill last week so sleeping as much as 20 hours a day, the guy complains I am keeping him up all night hoovering, when tonight I hoovered living room for about 2 minutes as spilled sauce and scrubbed and cleaned it and kitchen both which are away from the bedroom,so eitherhe is a very light sleeper or just sensitive to sound.

You can hear something when the hooveris on but considering he cannot hear my fan heaters which are above him in bedroom how can he hear a hoover 2 rooms away.

Not doubting him but even tonight I hoovered hours ago, he knocked on my door at 5.30am when I was reheating some hot chocolate so maybe its my microwave he hears.

What is your interpretation? I can see why he could be annoyed but I shouldnt have to avoid getting out of bed just to suit him.

This is only second time in my life have had complaint about late night noise, in fact people often think I am so quiet I have either moved out or gone away for a while.

Ignore him.
Reply 5
I think he's being unreasonable. He shouldn't be living in flats or he should buy earplugs if he has that big a problem with noise. I've lived with some very noisy people and it has done my head in, but I mean people who had very loud music on and were talking/shouting throughout the night (literally till 6/7am). I had every right to complain then (and I did), and I wore earplugs.

Regarding your situation, you should be able to use your microwave whenever you want for goodness sake. If that's bothering him at night, he must be a light sleeper, which is his problem and not yours. I can understand why he might be a bit annoyed by hoovering, but still, it was only on for a couple of minutes, and it is unreasonable for him to complain about that (unless you're doing it every night).

You sound like a considerate neighbour, whereas he doesn't. If you are living in flats, you have to accept that you are going to hear other people at times that may be inconvenient for you. As long as you're not hoovering at 3/4am every night, or are slamming doors, or playing loud music regularly at night - in other words, as long as you are not being loud on a regular basis, I don't think he has anything to complain about. Just do your best to ignore him, and if he continues, maybe complain to him for being unreasonable with his noise complaints. You can't expect everyone around you to be silent.
Reply 6
Just to let people know, in the last few weeks each time he sees me he gives me the "evil eyes" and huffs at me and slams the doors at all hours! This is the guy who complained to me about noise!

He keeps leaving the communal entry door open which means we have had drunks walk into the building as we live next to 2 pubs and he has the only working communal light switch in his flat and he turns it off apart from when he needs it so I have to carry a torch to go in and out
Reply 7
This guy is a nutter, went out to get a takeaway and spoke for 1 minute to the driver and then as I went back up stairs the neighbour turned the only hallway light off leaving me in pitch black and started muttering and swearing and calling me stuff like "fat monkey" (with swear words added to the beginning!)

Also found out theres a drip from my shower due to a minor gap and he is blaming me for that and yet I have a ceiling ready to collapse as his landlord refuses to chip in because this guy told him about the drip which is nuts.

a few drips of water once a day is more important than a massive hole in ceiling and the hole causing temps to drop so heating to be higher and buckets under the holes in 3 rooms.

Some people are jerks.
Reply 8
I'm a really light sleeper and for some reason my next door neighbour leaves his window open during the night, the wind makes the door move, which keeps me up all night :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by katyness
I'm a really light sleeper and for some reason my next door neighbour leaves his window open during the night, the wind makes the door move, which keeps me up all night :frown:

I can understand, not just that but it will drop the temps if say he lives below, had a druggie neighbour therebefore who felt hot all the time so left every window open 24/7

I am semi light sleeper its more that I force myself to sleep through anything so if I wake up I drop back off before I wake fully, problem with that though is it means I find it hard to wake up in morning

Forgot to say this guy is so nutty he slams door at all hours that the other neighbours have complained to him and he thinks I am the noisy one!
Reply 10
I can understand, not just that but it will drop the temps if say he lives below, had a druggie neighbour therebefore who felt hot all the time so left every window open 24/7

I am semi light sleeper its more that I force myself to sleep through anything so if I wake up I drop back off before I wake fully, problem with that though is it means I find it hard to wake up in morning

Forgot to say this guy is so nutty he slams door at all hours that the other neighbours have complained to him and he thinks I am the noisy one!

It's only a problem for me because he taped the thing on his door which means the door is able to open and close and make so much noise; and when I wake up, I can't fall asleep for at least another 2 hours.

But yeah just ignore your neighbour.

Forgot to say this guy is so nutty he slams door at all hours

I live next door to someone like that. They never talk to each other, they always shout and they're always shouting at the dogs.:mad:
I get called noisy for walking around and talking in my friend's room. I'm sorry if I have a bad leg and heavy footsteps, and I'm sorry if my voice is quite deep so reverbs a bit, I've explained it but the person below bitches to everyone else about it and once threatened to break my legs to my face. So now I stomp around the room, shout and play music at ungodly hours :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending