The Student Room Group

Tips to get high grades in bio, maths, chem, psychology?

Hey TSR, I was just wondering how to get high grades in these AS subjects: Biology, chemistry, psychology and C1 maths? They're all ocr, apart from psychology which is AQA, does anybody have any tips or hints on how to get high grades such as B/A, i have my 4 exams in jan, and although i have already started revising, i fear i may fail:O http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/frown.png
Reply 1
im doing the exact same subjects so im gna stalk this thread :P
Reply 2
Original post by Atemukay
Hey TSR, I was just wondering how to get high grades in these AS subjects: Biology, chemistry, psychology and C1 maths? They're all ocr, apart from psychology which is AQA, does anybody have any tips or hints on how to get high grades such as B/A, i have my 4 exams in jan, and although i have already started revising, i fear i may fail:O http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/frown.png

you haven't quite mentioned weather you're doing A2 or AS??

Original post by goldenkuri
im doing the exact same subjects so im gna stalk this thread :P

Original post by Jerry

"in these AS subjects" :tongue: And anyway, it's practically the same for most subjects.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1972086
Reply 4
Original post by Jerry
She has, she said AS subjects...
I can only say for chemistry and maths as i didnt do the others. Honestly, past papers. First revise everything that youve learnt and then do past paper after past paper after past paper. We were told to do this and by the time it came to the exam we found the Qs were the same just with different numbers and stuff :smile:

Original post by Jerry

See bold.

With regards to Psychology, learn the case studies like the back of your hand. Learn the main ones and don't be afraid to guess names/years if you can't remember. I got an A on one of my AS papers for making up the names and dates, but the info in the studies was correct haha.
Make sure you start your revision early, don't leave it 'til last minute. You have to find the revision technique that is right for you, so consider your learning technique. Personally, I found it useful to create mind-maps, posters, diagrams etc, but you might be different. I did psychology and I found that writing sample essays for all the possible questions that could be asked was really useful. I highlighted important parts and tried to memorize them. Also consider writing bullet points on small pieces of card, this was a technique that was recommended by one of my teachers during GCSE and I found it really helped me to remember things - it's much easier to remember bullet points than whole paragraphs. Possibly the best means of revision however is to plough your way through as many past papers as possible. These are all available on the exam board's websites, sometimes there are the answers as well so you can check. If you enjoy discussing things, why not consider asking some people in your class to get together for a group revision session?
Good luck with your exams by the way, I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Do LOADS of past papers because eventually you'll learn the exam layout You might do crap at first but then you'll start hitting those As:wink:

Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeonVII
I can only say for chemistry and maths as i didnt do the others. Honestly, past papers. First revise everything that youve learnt and then do past paper after past paper after past paper. We were told to do this and by the time it came to the exam we found the Qs were the same just with different numbers and stuff :smile:

Lol, + rep for one of the best sigs I've seen in a long, long while.
For bio - go through all past papers, and for questions you keep getting wrong literally learn the mark scheme if you have to. They ask the same questions over and over again and even the "How science works" questions will have pretty much the same answer as something you've done before. Sorry if that made no sense I can't really describe what I am trying to say haha
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for all your replies! Im waist deep in past papers at the moment aha :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending