The Student Room Group

What's ChemEng really like?

Calling all chemical engineers

Next year I'll be going to study chemical engineering at rather Manchester, Bath, Edinburgh, Nottingham or Birmingham (as long as i get the grades). Which is great but I have a couple of questions about the degree.

1) How hard really is it?
2) How much maths is involved, I mean is it much harder is it than A2 maths?
3) How much work is there; I mean does it cripple the social life compared to other students?
4) Are most other ChemEng students kinda nerdy?
5) Is the money really that good?
6) And most importantly, is it fun at all?
Reply 1
How longs a piece of sting?
In comparison with A levels I'd say its much easier as exams/coursework seem to be more spread out as oppose to having a whole bunch of them in one week!

In my course I had a module named Engineering Mathematics in my first year which everyone found was a bit of a doss module in that it was very similar to As maths with a bit of A2 maths later on. Nothing too difficult and a bit of revision meant that everyone who had done A levels got 80/90%.

In year two we have a module named Analytical Techniques which is all about different methods of sving equations, using graphs and different rules like the "Golden Section rule" Aswell as using excel to solve cramers rule and such. . I've just done a coursework ICA which was heavily excel based and took about 4 hours to derive the equations from a problem and then an hour or so to put it into excel... Will take about 3 hours to write it up into a good report and then it's done! So it's not difficult... Just make sure you make detailed notes and do some regular revision.

3) How much work is there; I mean does it cripple the social life compared to other students?
I wouldn't say it's any different to any other course in regards to hardness level.

What I will say is that engineering students generally take there course more seriously than someone doing media studies or such (sorry to name drop here!) and therefore might spend more time revising as oppose to drinking non stop.

Haha in some ways!
"Jps.." -joules per second
"What?" - watt
"Exactly!"
But who cares, we all have a good laugh and if you're at uni and not a "nerd" then this seems like a double entendre to me!
Well £28k average starting salary sounds good to me. Just remember not to go all arrogant when you do get a job as an engineer. Take advice from operators.. They know a lot more than you. Be respectful... Just something to keep in mind!

I enjoy it. Have a bit of banter with the lecturers who are pretty funny and have a lot of experience from working in engineering companies already.
Night life is good, people on my course are great. What's not to like?!

Hope this helps,
Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you, that helps allot. Just out of interest, where are you studying?
Reply 3
Teesside University.

Most on here have very low opinions of it. The uni seems good to me and the lecturers give lots of extra help if anyone needs it so If given the chance I wouldn't move. Though this could be because of the fact my particular class is more like a family really.

Original post by Ollie:)
Calling all chemical engineers

Next year I'll be going to study chemical engineering at rather Manchester, Bath, Edinburgh, Nottingham or Birmingham (as long as i get the grades). Which is great but I have a couple of questions about the degree.

Original post by LimeTree.
Teesside University.

Most on here have very low opinions of it. The uni seems good to me and the lecturers give lots of extra help if anyone needs it so If given the chance I wouldn't move. Though this could be because of the fact my particular class is more like a family really.

Without trying to diss your university or anything, be aware different universities offer different modules, and elite engineering institutions like Bath and Nottingham can be somewhat more challenging.

For example:
Bath: mathematical techniques, thermodynamics, further mathematical techniques, mathematical modelling
Nottingham: Fluid mechanics, engineering thermodynamics, particle mechanics

Have a look at the different modules and descriptions and see what would suit you best.
Reply 5
How longs a piece of sting?
In comparison with A levels I'd say its much easier as exams/coursework seem to be more spread out as oppose to having a whole bunch of them in one week!

In my course I had a module named Engineering Mathematics in my first year which everyone found was a bit of a doss module in that it was very similar to As maths with a bit of A2 maths later on. Nothing too difficult and a bit of revision meant that everyone who had done A levels got 80/90%.

In year two we have a module named Analytical Techniques which is all about different methods of sving equations, using graphs and different rules like the "Golden Section rule" Aswell as using excel to solve cramers rule and such. . I've just done a coursework ICA which was heavily excel based and took about 4 hours to derive the equations from a problem and then an hour or so to put it into excel... Will take about 3 hours to write it up into a good report and then it's done! So it's not difficult... Just make sure you make detailed notes and do some regular revision.

I wouldn't say it's any different to any other course in regards to hardness level.

What I will say is that engineering students generally take there course more seriously than someone doing media studies or such (sorry to name drop here!) and therefore might spend more time revising as oppose to drinking non stop.

Haha in some ways!
"Jps.." -joules per second
"What?" - watt
"Exactly!"
But who cares, we all have a good laugh and if you're at uni and not a "nerd" then this seems like a double entendre to me!
Well £28k average starting salary sounds good to me. Just remember not to go all arrogant when you do get a job as an engineer. Take advice from operators.. They know a lot more than you. Be respectful... Just something to keep in mind!

I enjoy it. Have a bit of banter with the lecturers who are pretty funny and have a lot of experience from working in engineering companies already.
Night life is good, people on my course are great. What's not to like?!

Hope this helps,
Good luck

My course was considerably harder.
There were no doss modules (except safety in Stage 1 - unassesed :smile: )

Often all the assignments would be set at roughly the same time, leading to most of the year pulling an all nighter the same night to get finished.

The courses vary immensely between unis - but if you go to a good one that will only benefit you when you come to apply for jobs.
Original post by The Polymath
Without trying to diss your university or anything, be aware different universities offer different modules, and elite engineering institutions like Bath and Nottingham can be somewhat more challenging.

For example:
Bath: mathematical techniques, thermodynamics, further mathematical techniques, mathematical modelling
Nottingham: Fluid mechanics, engineering thermodynamics, particle mechanics

Have a look at the different modules and descriptions and see what would suit you best.

All engineering courses will have the same core modules, which make up the vast majority of modules offered, as this is a requirement for accreditation.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
All engineering courses will have the same core modules, which make up the vast majority of modules offered, as this is a requirement for accreditation.

Couldn't have said it better!

And I of course have engineering thermo, particulates, transport phenomena etc.
I'm not saying it insanely easy... But it's nothing to stress over. Just revise

Reply 8
Original post by SebMurphy
My course was considerably harder.
There were no doss modules (except safety in Stage 1 - unassesed :smile: )

Often all the assignments would be set at roughly the same time, leading to most of the year pulling an all nighter the same night to get finished.

The courses vary immensely between unis - but if you go to a good one that will only benefit you when you come to apply for jobs.

You should perhaps start your assignments earlier. :P

Reply 9
You should perhaps start your assignments earlier. :P

4 set in the same week! and new bouldering problems at the climbing wall, that takes precedence :P

I get an unholy rush from leaving them to the last minute and charging through.
Original post by SebMurphy
4 set in the same week! and new bouldering problems at the climbing wall, that takes precedence :P

I get an unholy rush from leaving them to the last minute and charging through.

Ah I do apologise! Been climbing long? I've just started :P ...slightly off topic.. I apologise ha

I study Chem Eng at Leeds... Have to admit it is challenging and yes I don't really have much of a social life at the moment. 2000 word assignments were due pretty much every week in the first semester and before Christmas just completed a 10,000 word group project on glass. Oh and not to mention we had no exams in January... All exams were in December :O so had an immense workload and also revision to squeeze in. Bring on semester 2 :P

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Ok, so getting some pretty mixed up feedback. But it sounds like the genral gist is that the subject is hard, eats into social life; but bearable?
Original post by Ollie:)
Ok, so getting some pretty mixed up feedback. But it sounds like the genral gist is that the subject is hard, eats into social life; but bearable?

It would seem so!
It's not as difficult as people make out. We had that 10,000 word group project thing aswell, but on an ammonia plant proposal. Was interesting more than anything. Though it did get a bit intense towards the deadline!

A lot more than bearable, knowing you're coming out with a chem eng degree helps a lot! :P

Quick Reply

Latest