The Student Room Group

LOVE my part-time job. HATE Uni.

Hi. I put another post about this the other day, but just an update to it.

Basically, there were two different courses I was looking at doing at Uni. I massively chose the wrong one. I'm in the final year so I might as well finish it because if I drop out, all that time and effort I've spent on the work will be a waste, and I'd still need to pay the fees.

I have a part-time job in a food department in a retail store. I LOVE it. The people there are so kind, helpful, funny, nice, and it just makes it a really nice place to work. The Managers and Supervisors are all funny as well... one of them came over to me once when it was busy, I was putting out stock and he said "So... What kind of women do you like? Skinny ones with big knockers or 25 stone ones?".

Meanwhile at Uni, I've just got deadlines, I have no enthusiasm to do the work, one of the teachers doesn't even really teach us anything - I learnt more from a book my Nan once got me, and no one seems up for a laugh. I'm a hardworking person. When I studied BTEC Media at college, I got a DDD (top marks) in it. At work, I have a laugh with people, but i'm hard working.

My contract at work ends this month. I, like others, have had to re-apply for different hours/positions. I applied for some hours that won't fit in well with Uni because they'll be very long days. I just phoned my Manager and asked if I could keep my weekend job and see if they could at all possible change the vacant hours instead of me doing it really early in the morning before Uni (only one weekday). He said that wouldn't really be possible. I don't think I'll be able to do my part-time job hours with Uni, so when I put the phone down, I'm not one to do this, but I cried.

I cried knowing I may not be working there after this month when I have adored it. I love it that much. The nice customers, the people I work with, the Managers, what I do in the job makes me want to stay there. I know having a fancy degree would be better, but I don't love doing Uni.

Throughout the Summer, I did loads of overtime. It's not about the money, but it was because it was offered to me, and I just love working there. The Managers have always told me that I work very well, and very hard, and compliments like that just boost my confidence. Whenever I've finished my shift, I've just always had so much energy in me because I love it. I've got so much energy I jog/sprint home lol. The full 2 miles. I don't even get out of breath. I love it.

I was told if the hours didn't work out, I could leave and they'd phone me up when some become available on the weekend.

What would you do?
Original post by timmy-scott
Hi. I put another post about this the other day, but just an update to it.

Basically, there were two different courses I was looking at doing at Uni. I massively chose the wrong one. I'm in the final year so I might as well finish it because if I drop out, all that time and effort I've spent on the work will be a waste, and I'd still need to pay the fees.

I have a part-time job in a food department in a retail store. I LOVE it. The people there are so kind, helpful, funny, nice, and it just makes it a really nice place to work. The Managers and Supervisors are all funny as well... one of them came over to me once when it was busy, I was putting out stock and he said "So... What kind of women do you like? Skinny ones with big knockers or 25 stone ones?".

Meanwhile at Uni, I've just got deadlines, I have no enthusiasm to do the work, one of the teachers doesn't even really teach us anything - I learnt more from a book my Nan once got me, and no one seems up for a laugh. I'm a hardworking person. When I studied BTEC Media at college, I got a DDD (top marks) in it. At work, I have a laugh with people, but i'm hard working.

My contract at work ends this month. I, like others, have had to re-apply for different hours/positions. I applied for some hours that won't fit in well with Uni because they'll be very long days. I just phoned my Manager and asked if I could keep my weekend job and see if they could at all possible change the vacant hours instead of me doing it really early in the morning before Uni (only one weekday). He said that wouldn't really be possible. I don't think I'll be able to do my part-time job hours with Uni, so when I put the phone down, I'm not one to do this, but I cried.

I cried knowing I may not be working there after this month when I have adored it. I love it that much. The nice customers, the people I work with, the Managers, what I do in the job makes me want to stay there. I know having a fancy degree would be better, but I don't love doing Uni.

Throughout the Summer, I did loads of overtime. It's not about the money, but it was because it was offered to me, and I just love working there. The Managers have always told me that I work very well, and very hard, and compliments like that just boost my confidence. Whenever I've finished my shift, I've just always had so much energy in me because I love it. I've got so much energy I jog/sprint home lol. The full 2 miles. I don't even get out of breath. I love it.

I was told if the hours didn't work out, I could leave and they'd phone me up when some become available on the weekend.

What would you do?

I think you are right about not leaving your degree after putting so much in and having to pay the fees anyway. If there is a possibility of getting the hours to fit around your last year of uni, even if it means stopping work to wait for them, I would definitely take that route. If no work comes up, it is only a matter of time before you finish uni and can re-apply when you have a degree behind you. Good luck whatever you do! :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending