The Student Room Group

US NRA - "Good guys with guns to stop bad guys with guns"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100195338/the-national-rifle-association-has-muffed-it/

http://www.itn.co.uk/World/64599/national-rifle-association-calls-for-guns-to-protect-schools

The National Rifle Association is suggesting armed guards should be put in schools to prevent further shootings and that "a good guy with a gun should stop a bad guy with a gun". I can see this going very wrong and actually increasing shootings in the long term.

and as for having a database of mentally ill people - what an idiot.
Wasn't the NRA founded by KKK members?
Reply 2
Or we could make sure it was much harder for people to get hold of guns and worked to change the American mindset that if they give up their guns the government will turn into Stalin's Russia.....
Original post by Aj12
Or we could make sure it was much harder for people to get hold of guns and worked to change the American mindset that if they give up their guns the government will turn into Stalin's Russia.....

This is the best solution in my view, though it'd take a huge amount of money, time and effort to get it done - certainly more than one presidency could manage I think, in which case, all of it could be undone if a pro-gun candidate gets into office before the process is finished - and all at a time when America is struggling with it's economy too I might add. Personally I think this particular incident, though tragic, will change nothing, even though a single massacre of people of any age should be enough.
Complete madness, America is one screwed up country.
I really don't understand that, it's just fighting fire with fire. "If he's got a gun, I need a gun!"

NO one should have the ****ing guns except army/police/farmers who shoot annoying animals that eat their cabbages.

It's a shame here that it took the Dunblane massacre to change the law - but how many massacres will it take in the US before something changes??
Reply 6
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
This is the best solution in my view, though it'd take a huge amount of money, time and effort to get it done - certainly more than one presidency could manage I think, in which case, all of it could be undone if a pro-gun candidate gets into office before the process is finished - and all at a time when America is struggling with it's economy too I might add. Personally I think this particular incident, though tragic, will change nothing, even though a single massacre of people of any age should be enough.

The worst part is that most of the killing done by guns in the States is with normal handguns, a weapon no one will touch with legislation. It'll be decades and many more shootings like Newtown and Columbine before any real change is seen I think.
Original post by Aj12
The worst part is that most of the killing done by guns in the States is with normal handguns, a weapon no one will touch with legislation. It'll be decades and many more shootings like Newtown and Columbine before any real change is seen I think.

The problem is as you said the pro-gun culture of the US - with that in place, even good gun-control legislation can be overturned because it'll be easier to obtain support for it, but cultures in my view take an extremely long time to disperse.

I don't know... it's a right mess in my view, and I'm just glad I don't have a responsibility to make decisions about it.
Reply 8
Well to be fair the same principle is applied on a global scale, i.e. armed forces and nuclear weapons, by world leaders.
sounds crazy :s-smilie: surely the lesson here is not to give randomers guns? they should do what we do here and have stict controls, only people who need guns are people like police/army in extreme situations imo! it's so sad what happened in the USA though :frown: it's awful that people kill civilians, especially when they are children, it's why I don't like wars, think we should avoid them if we can!
Reply 10
Reactionaries, reactionaries everywhere...
Reply 11
The people are who are too mentally unstable to own guns are pretty much everyone who wants to own one in the first place.

Times like these America just seems incredibly backwards.
Reply 12
The only people who should really own guns, are the people who need to use them in their proffesions. In the USA, there is something like 88 guns for every 100 people, that's alot of guns. The idea in America seems to be "guns will make you safer" when in reality, the truth couldn't be more different. America needs to change it's gun laws, and change them soon.
It's a nice idea in theory but who's to say who a "good guy" is and surely anyone is a potential "bad guy".
Reply 14
I thought it was funny that they asked for armed guards in schools across America.
Original post by AkaJetson
Wasn't the NRA founded by KKK members?

No, it wasn't.
Reply 16
Armed guards do not belong in schools.
Reply 17
Original post by Alix23
Armed guards do not belong in schools.

I commend this statement to the house.

Only a neanderthal would want armed guards in school. Only in America.
It's not a bad short term solution, if it stops any more kids dying it's worth trying. But that's not going to solve the wider issue of guns. If people can't shoot up schools they'll pick the next easiest targets, IE universities, malls, cinemas, supermarkets etc. I suppose in the ideal world everyone's job would be an armed guard, every shop, public building and busy street corner would have one. Why? Because the NRA will be training them and making massive profits.
Reply 19
It's clear that these highly networked and funded lobbyists have a huge impact on domestic policy. America needs to questions their own mental capacity because it appears they have lost it with this one, honestly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending