The Student Room Group

Career Advice: Solicitor or Intelligence Corps?

Hi, I am trying to decide which of the above career paths to follow and would really appreciate any advice.

I am 26 years old from Scotland, I have a law degree and I am currently studying a diploma in legal practice which finishes in May.

Becoming a Solicitor might seem like the obvious choice given I've studied law, however I'm worried that I will find office life behind a desk a bit boring. I like to be active and keep fit. This being said becoming a solicitor is a good solid career for life and offers good earning potential. In order to become a fully qualified solicitor you have to do the diploma which I am on now, and then do a two year traineeship. If you don't start a traineeship within two years of completing the diploma it expires and you need to do it again (it costs £6500, not happening). Whilst on this two year traineeship, salaries are pretty low some are even minimum wage. This being said I do enjoy law, even if I'm not the most studious person.

My second option is army intelligence, I'm interested in security and intelligence and have always been curious about the army life style. The thought of variety and the camaraderie appeals to me. I am unfortunately now too old for entry as an Intelligence Officer so would have to go in at Lance Corporal (one rank above a Private). At this level I would still be earning a much better wage than as a trainee solicitor and it comes with the added benefit of providing me with somewhere to live after University. I would however be away from my family and friends a lot more often. I am also concerned that it might not be a career I would stay in for life.

I've been going through phases of preferring one over the other, I suppose I'm just worried about making a decision I regret either in not being able to become a solicitor or regretting not taking my opportunity to join the army when I had it. At 26, and I know some will disagree but I feel that I am too old to be career hopping. I really just want to make a choice and get cracking up the ladder.

I've been racking my brain for months, have done all the research I can and still haven't been able to come to a conclusion. As I said above any advice or opinions that can help me make this decision would be much appreciated.
Original post by Jon101k

I am 26 years old from Scotland, I have a law degree and I am currently studying a diploma in legal practice which finishes in May.

I am unfortunately now too old for entry as an Intelligence Officer so would have to go in at Lance Corporal (one rank above a Private). At this level I would still be earning a much better wage than as a trainee solicitor and it comes with the added benefit of providing me with somewhere to live after University.

You need to do some more research. There is a significant difference between joining the Army as an Officer and joining as a soldier. Solicitor v Soldier are basically inconsistent and incoherent jobs to be dithering between. Go and do some more research on the Army lifestyle as a soldier, even on in the Int Corp, because frankly, you are either misguided about your potential for a career as a Solicitor, or you are misguided about what life is like as a soldier.

Go and do some research on where you might be in terms of income, location and career prospects in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years and at retirement on each career path. You will find they are significantly different at every stage. You will, at that point, find you have a preference for one or the other.
Reply 2
Thanks very much for the reply, I wasn't very specific in my post regarding my reasons for considering solider entry. I have researched the differences between solider and officer entry and life style and this is why I am struggling to decide. If my choice was solicitor v int officer I'd choose int officer. I'm aware of the salary differences, an int corps lance corporal (on completion of training) earning £24,000. Over a 5 year time scale I'm likely to be around 28-30,000 in both careers however after 10 years the solicitor route will pull away and depending on how successful I am could double that of an army career unless I am able to get late commission. Money is important but not the sole deciding factor in this decision. Hope this makes my first post a bit clearer.
Original post by Jon101k
Thanks very much for the reply, I wasn't very specific in my post regarding my reasons for considering solider entry. I have researched the differences between solider and officer entry and life style and this is why I am struggling to decide. If my choice was solicitor v int officer I'd choose int officer. I'm aware of the salary differences, an int corps lance corporal (on completion of training) earning £24,000. Over a 5 year time scale I'm likely to be around 28-30,000 in both careers however after 10 years the solicitor route will pull away and depending on how successful I am could double that of an army career unless I am able to get late commission. Money is important but not the sole deciding factor in this decision. Hope this makes my first post a bit clearer.

I would take the first piece of advice on this thread with a pinch of salt - I think it is misguided.

I know of a practicing solcitor who gave it up join the Int Corps as a soldier - they are not mutually exclusive. There are many Int Corps soldiers with degrees and master's and lots of interesting opportunities (languages etc). Also, there is the opportunity to commission from the ranks.

Good luck.
Reply 4
I have nothing but respect for the army; I have nothing but contempt for lawyers.

I hope this helps.
Reply 5
Original post by Jon101k
If you don't start a traineeship within two years of completing the diploma it expires and you need to do it again (it costs £6500, not happening)

Can anyone confirm this is true? I'm under the impression a law degree/GDL expires within 7 years if you don't do that LPC, but on completion of LPC there's no expiry date between LPC and acquiring a trainee contract. Getting confused now.
Reply 6
Original post by Brevity
I have nothing but respect for the army; I have nothing but contempt for lawyers.

I hope this helps.

Some soldiers take pleasure killing the innocent. Haven't you seen videos of that happening in Iraq? Just saying there's good and bad people in all jobs.
Reply 7
Original post by firaWhoops
Just saying there's good and bad people in all jobs.

This is obviously true, but it's one of those platitudes that aren't really worth saying (ie. you've added nothing to the conversation that wasn't already obvious).

The thing about joining the army, though, is that it's one of the few (perhaps only) job in the world that requires bravery. Very little else in the world does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending