The Student Room Group

Help - an inconvinient choice to make.

Hello,
I'm going to apply for BA in Linguistics and Phonetics at Leeds University. At first I wanted to apply for joint BA degree in French and Linguistics / English / Russian but all the courses I found required an A level in French and I don't have it. :frown: I like Linguistics, and Phonetics has became my passion for 3 years now (so as French) so I decided to apply for Leeds instead, thinking that there is no chance for me to study French and other language or discipline at the university level...But I recently discovered that the University of Westminster in London offers BA in English Language and French (French can be taught at different levels). The course looks very appealing. Nevertheless, I heard so many negative opinions about Westminster...And it's very low in the ranks as well... I like Linguistics and Phonetics really much but I am not sure if will have a lot of career opportunities since it is strictly scientific field of study. However, I know that if go to Leeds I will be taught it well and that I will benefit from it because of the better quality of the university. Well... But I'm not so sure if I can get the same at Westminster... I cant afford studying so I have to get a Government Loan and I don't want to waste the money. I want to invest it so that I will find a good job after... I am a bit confused and don't know what to do... I hope to get some advice. What would you do if you were me? Do you know any other universities that are more prestigious than Westminster one and offer the same or similar course?
Reply 1
are you interested in english language? arent you more into linguistics and phonetics? i'd say go for leeds as its more prestigious and its got what you want. you can always do french outside of cirriculum thru tutions, reading, youtube, etc.
If you go to Leeds, then you can do some modules in French, it's just that it won't be a part of your degree title (this is quite a common thing that many different unis have) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/125009/foreign_languages/1196/foreign_language_courses
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you go to Leeds, then you can do some modules in French, it's just that it won't be a part of your degree title (this is quite a common thing that many different unis have) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/125009/foreign_languages/1196/foreign_language_courses

But what if I am more intrested in French linguistics and Phonetics as well? Do I have any possibilities to learn it there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending