The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Accommodation 40 weeks

Hi all,

I'm looking at going to Lancaster in 2013 for Computer Science with Industrial Experience MSci Hons. I haven't been offered a place as of yet but this is definately my first choice.

I don't understand how much of the year is actually spent in study. I am looking at the accommodation sheet http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/factsheets/ugsummary and it is saying that let times are 40 weeks but surely the summer holiday isn't 12 weeks? (52 weeks in year) In school it was only 6 weeks summer break (it's been a while, maybe this has changed?). Can someone explain to me how this works.

I was also wondering if it is possible to live in halls for the full 4 years of the course or are we expected to find somewhere private after the first year?
Reply 1
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/about-us/term-dates/

This might be helpful.

There is loads of free time, for holidays, Christmas etc.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
It's just that a 12 week break seems overly generous. I thought it must be a mistake.
Reply 3
Original post by Vadsi
Hi all,

I'm looking at going to Lancaster in 2013 for Computer Science with Industrial Experience MSci Hons. I haven't been offered a place as of yet but this is definately my first choice.

I don't understand how much of the year is actually spent in study. I am looking at the accommodation sheet http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/factsheets/ugsummary and it is saying that let times are 40 weeks but surely the summer holiday isn't 12 weeks? (52 weeks in year) In school it was only 6 weeks summer break (it's been a while, maybe this has changed?). Can someone explain to me how this works.

I was also wondering if it is possible to live in halls for the full 4 years of the course or are we expected to find somewhere private after the first year?

I think it's actually 22 weeks we get off in total. We have three terms each consisting of 10 weeks, with 4 week breaks at christmas and easter, with 36 week lets not allowing you to stay over Easter. So yeah I guess 12 weeks in summer does sound a bit much.

As to accommodation - you can apply to stay on campus for your remaining years but there is no guarantee due to a limited number of places available for non-freshers. The general plan is that in November you have to decide who you want to live with next year and go and look at houses. They go quickly, and you'll have signed for a flat for the next academic year by the end of November in your first term. It sounds daunting, and is difficult when you don't have long to get to know people and choose who to live with, but is how the system works.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
November of the first year? Why so early? we wouldn't be moving in until the following October.
Reply 5
Original post by Vadsi
It's just that a 12 week break seems overly generous. I thought it must be a mistake.

Most uni's do that :smile: with my university the official dates are 1st July 2013- 30th (I think) September 2013 but in reality I'm going to be finished by the end of May.

With the accommodation you might be looking at one where you have to be moved out for Easter and the earlier in the summer holiday as some university's now teach some of their part time and OU courses during the full time the easter/ summer breaks so they need the room.

If you want a room where you can keep your stuff there over the Easter instead of in a university locker thing it's better to look for a 52 week contract if they've got it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by Vadsi
November of the first year? Why so early? we wouldn't be moving in until the following October.

If you don't do it that early, all the good houses will be gone. Start looking early to get a good house and as soon as you get one and the housemates you want to live with, sign the contract.

I know things change during first year and it seems daunting, but I've just signed my contract on a house for 2nd year and I'm so glad I did.

The landlords in the area where I live have almost nothing left because people are getting there so quickly and signing contracts so quickly. All that's left really are the houses nobody wants to live in, for various reasons.

Having a house that early also means you don't need to worry about finding one during exam times at the end of first year and it's one less thing to stress about.
Reply 7
Original post by Vadsi

To be honest, I don't know the reasoning of it. I guess because there is a lot of competition for housing what with Lancaster Uni students as well as the UCUM lot. It's just when landlords do it and I guess they hold the power to do so.
Reply 8
I just hope I can find some people that are more mature like me. I don't want to live in a mad party house with music and heavy drinking until 4am.
Just to sum up the responses of the thread [and add my 2 pence]...

Terms at Lancaster are split into 3 lots of 10. The final lot of 10 will likely be shorter than that in practice [I'd finished my exams by week 6 in second year, for example]. The standard 40 week lets at Lancaster mean that you can move in when the year starts [late September/early October] and you then have your room until July. It removes the hassle of having to move everything out at Christmas and Easter, and it gives you a bit of time when term does end to explore etc. :smile:

You can apply to live on campus for all the years of your course, but returners are not promised accommodation and finalists are given priority over other returners. It does happen though - I stayed on for all three years of my course, as did a lot of my friends. Alternatively, you could apply for Chancellor's Wharf, which is university run halls for returners in the city centre. Almost like a half-way house. I had a couple of friends who loved living there, being in the city centre and having that bit of distance from the campus...

Houses in Lancaster do tend to go quite quickly. Most people will have signed by the end of the first term. However, I wouldn't rush into something. Do your research, visit a variety of places and check out the landlords. I viewed around 12 houses, some were great and some were awful. One had flees and no electric. Another had no beds and the landlord wasn't registered, so everything there was dodgy. You could try sticking to the big names like Yellow Door and LUSU Living, although there are some good smaller landlords around - you just have to be careful. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest