The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Brunel Primary PGCE 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mjsaunders22
Oh I didn't realise you could get more than 1 person I might get some1 else to write something! I'm in year 3 so I might ask head of year 3 to write something but might b too short notice as its on thursday. But I've only been working there since sept n I'm 1to1 so not many other teachers see me! Oh we'll I'll just get them to write a little something! Lol xx
<br />
<br />

Mine looked like it was done by one person, but was a group, to be honest I don't really think it matters who signs it off, the content will have far more weighting. If they can write about the skills you have developed, your progress so far and your personal qualities that would probably be best.

Im a general class TA in year 2 and only started in September, so don't worry. You'll be surprised how much you know compared to others, trust me!

Some general tips... make sure you know about the new curriculum, I talked about my opinion on banning calculators and the new aspects their introducing to science. How children are assessed and their progress, was a generally badly answered question from my group. Have a example in mind of a lesson that didn't go well and how you'd do it differently now. Also have a name ready of a teacher you think is outstanding and why.

Def practice yor presentation, I was cut short which felt so bad. Certainly have a presentation prepared some idiots in my groups openly didn't prepare and as a result it was painful to watch lol.

Biggest tip be confident, have yoy own personal experiences ready at hand and as stupid as it sounds make sure you smile (so many didn't! )

Good luck!
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Did u mainly talk about specific experience and what you have learnt from that in your presentation or did u focus on general thing like how to b a good teacher how to manage the class ect?! I'm so scared I that I'm gunna stutter n not know what I'm talking about even though I do! Lol
Yeh I was going to talk about the new phonics assessments in yr 1 & it's good n bad points and the grammar test in ur 6 n how children should b taught grammar not just tested on it to practise if that makes sense!
Thanks for advice about the teacher examples! Did they ask about ur degree at all? Do u live local to Brunel or are you going to move there? X
For my presentation I kept it to what I had experienced in the classroom and tried to back it up with an example, avoid making sweeping statements. Anything you feel you've learnt even if that is from observing someone else I would talk about it. I kept my points breif to try cover more, if that makes sense.

I talked about inclusion, behaviour, safeguarding, classroom layout, the kids work mentality, self reflection... I even stuck in about how my confidence has grown and how I had to teach my class a dance routine, def try fit in somewhere something only you will have! You will have so many experiences and formed your own opinions, convey them well and you'll do great!

Phonics is def a good one to talk about, link that in with children who have english as a second language, their big on that!

They breifly ask about your degree but that will be fine, my undergrad is in economics, couldn't be any more different lol just show your passion for teaching and you'll be fine. they do ask why you choose brunel though! Which was easy for me being a past student so played that up! very local, only 10min drive, you moving out? Brunel your first option?

You'll have to let me know how you get on!
I'm local live 2 min walk from the uni! So not moving out! I moved out for my degree at Chichester doing dance so I've experienced moving out so didnt want to do it again! I taught my class in p.e doing dance so I'll defo mention that!

Yeh I'm gunna link in about EAL especially as I have about 10 in my class! So I'm always working with them!
No it wasn't my 1st choice as I took advice from teachers at school to apply for others but should of stuck with my own choice n done brunel 1st was actually happy I got rejected so I am able to interview at brunel!

Thank u so much for all ur help! I'll let you know how it goes! I want this Soo bad I'm really hoping I get in! Fingers crossed! :smile:
you have the experience and you sound like you know your stuff, youll do great!
last tip,get your passion and personality across! dw about nerves, my hands were shaking all the way through my presentation, the interviewers are really nice, plus u start to relax after that!

Good luck!
Reply 25
I'm local live 2 min walk from the uni! So not moving out! I moved out for my degree at Chichester doing dance so I've experienced moving out so didnt want to do it again! I taught my class in p.e doing dance so I'll defo mention that!

Yeh I'm gunna link in about EAL especially as I have about 10 in my class! So I'm always working with them!
No it wasn't my 1st choice as I took advice from teachers at school to apply for others but should of stuck with my own choice n done brunel 1st was actually happy I got rejected so I am able to interview at brunel!

Thank u so much for all ur help! I'll let you know how it goes! I want this Soo bad I'm really hoping I get in! Fingers crossed! :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow.. Hopefully you do really well and you'll be joining us come September! Let us know how you get on.
Reply 26
Original post by Heather_1989
you have the experience and you sound like you know your stuff, youll do great!
last tip,get your passion and personality across! dw about nerves, my hands were shaking all the way through my presentation, the interviewers are really nice, plus u start to relax after that!

Good luck!

Heather, do you know how many people are accepted for Primary PGCE in Brunel each academic year? And how many are in each class/group?
Original post by Zahoora
Heather, do you know how many people are accepted for Primary PGCE in Brunel each academic year? And how many are in each class/group?
<br />
<br />

I think last year's intake was approx 120, but dont quote me on that. I would image lectures would be held all together, given there is room abailability. But for seminars for my undergrad we were spilt into groups of about 40. Saying that, when snooping around for info, I saw people talking about group B and F? So if group F is the last group would make 20 to a class.

Give us an update on tomorrow, sure you'll do great, good luck!
Reply 28
<br />
<br />

I think last year's intake was approx 120, but dont quote me on that. I would image lectures would be held all together, given there is room abailability. But for seminars for my undergrad we were spilt into groups of about 40. Saying that, when snooping around for info, I saw people talking about group B and F? So if group F is the last group would make 20 to a class.

Give us an update on tomorrow, sure you'll do great, good luck!

Ok.. Sounds like much larger groups than what I'm used to at IOE.. Most of our classes are max 20-25 people. It'll be such an interesting learning experience.. The whole PGCE and the completely new environment. Looking forward to September!
Original post by Zahoora
Ok.. Sounds like much larger groups than what I'm used to at IOE.. Most of our classes are max 20-25 people. It'll be such an interesting learning experience.. The whole PGCE and the completely new environment. Looking forward to September!
<br />
<br />

But for my undergrad my course started with 300. So I reckon it probably will be much smaller groups, considering the amount we will have to cover and to give everyone the chance to be heard.

And I know, wishing my life away here lol, just want to get started!
Hey! Had my interview today! I think it went well so figures crossed ! But i might not get it as i only have yr 3 experience n she hinted to go n observe other years. They have 180 places on the course, they mentioned that today so thought I'd let you know :biggrin: now the nervous bit of waiting n checking track for 2 weeks starts! Lol :smile:
Reply 31
Hey! Had my interview today! I think it went well so figures crossed ! But i might not get it as i only have yr 3 experience n she hinted to go n observe other years. They have 180 places on the course, they mentioned that today so thought I'd let you know :biggrin: now the nervous bit of waiting n checking track for 2 weeks starts! Lol :smile:

Well done.. Hopefully that won't effect you getting a place!
on a brighter note.. Check your emails rather than track.. Brunel emaied mel before track had updated and then track also emailed once it had been updated.. So it's pointless checking track repetitively.. Just keep an eye on your emails.
Goodluck.. I hope you get on! Definitely sounds positive if today went well..
Woow.. 180! It's definitely gonna be an interesting year for me.. Never been in a class even close to half that size! Keep us updated with how u get on x
Bet you did great! And I only have year 2 experience (sept start) and 2 weeks in my old high school so that wont go against you! How were the others in your group interview? And mine took 9days to hear a reply, but ye will be in your email!

Good luck and fingers crossed!
I was going to ask how long it took to find out! Ther was 16 all together! But I had 3 others in my interview. Another girl is doing an education degree, so she knew alot. Another had experience in workshops in Libaries n museams and other had experience working with adults who has disabilities n some in a school. So every1 had a good amount of experience! I just made sure I was passionate and the lady taking the interview said she could see I had a hunger to be a teacher! So hopefully my writing n Maths were ok! so im guessing ill her next monday maybe! Scary!! :smile:
Reply 34
I am so glad I found this forum. I normally use the TES forums but not a lot of people studying PGCE Primary at Brunel. I have my interview on the 15th Jan (tomorrow, yikes!!). I am just hoping I have prepared enough. For the 300 Word essay, aspects of teaching, I revised behavior management, teaching skills, differentiation, equal opportunities etc. Is this enough?

How many questions for the Maths test? And what is the pass rate? Was it GCSE level? (been using BBC GCSE Bitesize)

I'm sorry for the 20 questions! Getting nervous as my interview date draws closer :frown:

Any help is well appreciated Many thanks x
Ps happy for those who have secured their place, hopefully I'll be joining you. Fingers crossed!! x
The maths is very simple don't worry about it, about 5 questions with abcd sections, must be around GCSE level.

For the essay maybe throw in another one or two topics, you have loads of time to do the maths and english tests.

What experience do you have, where best to link it to your own experience.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Reply 36
The maths is very simple don't worry about it, about 5 questions with abcd sections, must be around GCSE level.

For the essay maybe throw in another one or two topics, you have loads of time to do the maths and english tests.

What experience do you have, where best to link it to your own experience.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Ok thanks.
Will do.
I have 7 months volunteering, once a week at my local primary school but it was mainly with Year 3s. I did get to observe an infant class once- very demanding :smile:.

I didnt get to attend my interview (so disappointed as I want to get this part over and done with) as I became very sick the day before. I am so worried I won't get another interview. I called them and explained and they took my name and advise me not to worry but I just help it. I am sure everything will be ok. I must have faith :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Bet you did great! And I only have year 2 experience (sept start) and 2 weeks in my old high school so that wont go against you! How were the others in your group interview? And mine took 9days to hear a reply, but ye will be in your email!

Good luck and fingers crossed!

Original post by Zahoora
Well done.. Hopefully that won't effect you getting a place!
on a brighter note.. Check your emails rather than track.. Brunel emaied mel before track had updated and then track also emailed once it had been updated.. So it's pointless checking track repetitively.. Just keep an eye on your emails.
Goodluck.. I hope you get on! Definitely sounds positive if today went well..
Woow.. 180! It's definitely gonna be an interesting year for me.. Never been in a class even close to half that size! Keep us updated with how u get on x

Thought I'd Let you both know that i got a CONDITION offer!!!

Just need to pass the skills test :smile: x:smile:
Thought I'd Let you both know that i got a CONDITION offer!!!

Just need to pass the skills test :smile: x:smile:

CONGRATULATIONS, same here, so guess be seeing you in septemebr !!
Original post by Syde
Ok thanks.
Will do.
I have 7 months volunteering, once a week at my local primary school but it was mainly with Year 3s. I did get to observe an infant class once- very demanding :smile:.

I didnt get to attend my interview (so disappointed as I want to get this part over and done with) as I became very sick the day before. I am so worried I won't get another interview. I called them and explained and they took my name and advise me not to worry but I just help it. I am sure everything will be ok. I must have faith :frown:

you heard anything about another interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending