The Student Room Group

Going on a date tomorrow...awkward 'I'll get the check'. Need advice please

Im female by the way...

I find it really awkward going on dates. I hate counting pennies and splitting, it seems somewhat non gentleman but neither do I like being payed for because I feel awkward.

Were suppost to be going for a nice meal.
But I was thinking going to a bar instead, getting there 10 mins early and get the first drink round in and POSSIBLY order a meal to share maybe, therefore I can pay upfront. No money discussion. He can get the next round in and go up to the bar.

I'm 21 and I think he's nearly 24, he's doing his masters at uni.

What do you guys suggest?
If I went for a meal with a girl I'd probably grab the bill, check the amount and ask if she'll chuck in a tenner and pay the rest myself. If you deliberate over it for ages and haggle then it could be awkward, so don't make it a big deal.

If you grab the bill first and sort out your own part then he can pay the rest and it's all sorted. If you sit around waiting for him to look at the bill without getting out your own purse then it may seem presumptious and a bit awkward.
Reply 2
if you wait for him to settle the bill, then you'll be on your bill
Reply 3
i would like it if a girl grabbed the bill first and offered to pay anything, around half would be a good, or even a 1/4 whatever. as long as she made the effort to grab it with her own intention of paying, she would gain a lot of respect from me.
Reply 4
I wouldn't order stuff before he got there - if I went on a date and someone did that I'd find it weird, but I have quite a lot of food issues. Just split the bill or take it in turns to get rounds in.
Reply 5
I think if you end up liking this guy, the awkwardness over the bill will pretty much evaporate. Amongst amicable people, it's a pretty trivial matter. Just smile lots, try and keep things relaxed, and silly things like this will fall into place without you having to try to avoid them. Don't expect to be paid for, just as you wouldn't with a friend. But you also don't need to insist on covering every little bit if he's insisting you don't worry about the last few coins.
When my partner and I went on our first date, he just casually asked 'so how do you want to do this?' when the bill arrived. So I said 'straight down the middle?' and that was that. Alternatively when the bill arrives just.casually go 'half and half suit you?' and get your purse out. Its only awkward if you make it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending