The Student Room Group

Shallow girls deserve to be cheated on.

When you look at sexual and romantic relationships between men and women from a biological or evolutionary perspective it makes perfect sense that women should be shallow i.e. that they should determine whether to accept or reject the advances of a potential partner based primarily on physical traits which are suggestive of his genetic quality. This is because women make a very large physical investment in any offspring they conceive, in that they are compelled to carry what is essentially a parasitic organism, inside their body for 9 months. As a result of this significant investment, women are compelled or biologically driven to seek out a partner who will provide their offspring with the best possible chance of surviving long enough to copulate and reproduce themselves. This means selecting a mate that bares physical markers or clues pertaining to strength and health, such as broad shoulders, relatively large muscles and masculine jawline etc.

Similarly but also conversely, men are biologically driven to be promiscuous i.e. to sleep with as many women as possible in order to maximise the chance of at least some of his offspring surviving long enough to reproduce. This is, in essence, due to the much lower physical investment in the offspring made by males relative to females. The emphasis for men is therefore on the quantity of sex they can get as opposed to the genetic quality of those they mate with. This explains why men, more often than not, have a higher sex drive than women and why it is often much easier for an unattractive woman to find a partner than it is for an unattractive male. With these biological facts established I can now address the assertion made in the thread title.

It is the social norm in western society for relationships to be monogamous. Indeed, one party in a relationship being unfaithful is usually grounds for that relationship being ended by the partner who was cheated on. Moreover, those that break such conventions are usually ostracized by society. But if men are culturally expected to suppress their natural behavioural urge to be promiscuous, should not women be obliged to suppress their tendency towards physical selectivity? Does it not seem somewhat hypocritical to expect men to transcend their primitive biological urges whilst women continue to flagrantly indulge theirs? It is ironic also that many of the traits that women find attractive in men are physical manifestations of testosterone, high levels of which significantly correlate with promiscuity in both men and women.

It is on this basis that I assert that women who select their partners with shallowness and superficiality at the forefront of their minds deserve to end up with unfaithful partners.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's no use trying to critique morality... it just is what it is.
Reply 2
Majority of women wouldn't select partners for a long term, monogamous relationship purely (or even mostly) on the males physical attributes would they?
Reply 3
Original post by Futility
Well indirectly yes, I suspect they would. I think most girls would only approach or engage in flirting with a male if they found him to be physically attractive in the first place. Therefore they would never get to know men that they don't find attractive. There are of course exceptions to this, but for the most part, at least subconsciously, I think women do primarily select partners based on physical appearance.

There may be a small portion of women who do this, but I'd like to think most would will initially give a guy a chance to prove himself even if he isn't six foot tall and ripped. Anyway women don't approach culturally - it's up for the guy to approach and flirt, and there are other factors to that other than physical attributes which enable you to survive.
Reply 4
Please, like men don't consider the way a woman looks at all. They want to bang her personality.
Two wrongs won't make a right. Nobody 'deserves' to be cheated on.
Reply 6
No one deserves to be cheated on. And anyway you're totally missing the point. You're putting a man's motives for cheating as somehow resident in the woman's character. It's not really like that. People cheat for their own reasons and feelings. It's not always about anything the other person did.
Reply 7
Original post by Lucia.
No one deserves to be cheated on. And anyway you're totally missing the point. You're putting a man's motives for cheating as somehow resident in the woman's character. It's not really like that. People cheat for their own reasons and feelings. It's not always about anything the other person did.

I think you have misunderstood, I'm not saying that mens' motives for cheating stems from womens' characters at all. I'm saying the desire to cheat, or rather to sleep with as many women as possible, is an inherent part of mens' biological and behavioral makeup.
Reply 8
Original post by Miss G
Please, like men don't consider the way a woman looks at all. They want to bang her personality.

Well I obviously can't speak for every man, but I suspect a lot of guys simply want to "bang" full stop. I personally would pretty much have sex with any girl (bar those under the age of consent, those old enough to claim a bus pass and those no longer breathing) who offered it to me.
Reply 9
Sure, biologically, men may be set up to try and sleep with as many women as possible. And this isn't even definite, because monogamous behaviour easy develops in small populations, our evolutionary ancestors included in this category. But do you want to be trapped by your biology for your entire life? We have higher order brain functions, the ability of self-control and extremely advanced decision making. I would far rather use those and engage in a life that I deem as morally acceptable than go around banging girls. What you are suggesting, that men be promiscuous because they need to "get back" at women for who they attracted to, is simply ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Hypocrism
Sure, biologically, men are set up to try and sleep with as many women as possible. But do you want to be trapped by your biology for your entire life? We have higher order brain functions, the ability of self-control and extremely advanced decision making. I would far rather use those and engage in a life that I deem as morally acceptable than go around banging girls. What you are suggesting, that men be promiscuous because they need to "get back" at women for who they attracted to, is simply ridiculous.

Not at all. Quite the contrary, I'm suggesting that women who fail to use their higher order brain functions to look beyond the physical appearance of men basically get their just deserts when the men that they choose based upon shallowness cheat on them.
Reply 11
Original post by Hugo Rune
Anyway women don't approach culturally - it's up for the guy to approach and flirt, and there are other factors to that other than physical attributes which enable you to survive.

Blimey, this isn't the 18th century y'know.
Reply 12
Well I obviously can't speak for every man, but I suspect a lot of guys simply want to "bang" full stop. I personally would pretty much have sex with any girl (bar those under the age of consent, those old enough to claim a bus pass and those no longer breathing) who offered it to me.

How could someone no longer breathing offer it to you? :biggrin:

But, yes. I have difficutly believing that you don't have standards. Most people have standards. There are just some people you would do, and some you wouldn't. You can't honestly tell me, thinking back to all the girls you've ever known, that at least some of them don't repulse you.
Blahhhhhhhh! No one deserves to be cheated on. If you think the next bitch or dick you are/about to bang is better then end your current/previous relationship. Simple brah!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Blimey, this isn't the 18th century y'know.

:confused: Yes I know.

If a bloke wants any success with a woman then the onus is on him to approach. Can't say I agree with it but it's where we're at (in western society at least).
Reply 15
Not at all. Quite the contrary, I'm suggesting that women who fail to use their higher order brain functions to look beyond the physical appearance of men basically get their just deserts when the men that they choose based upon shallowness cheat on them.

Hence suggesting that women should be punished for who they are attracted to.

There's nothing wrong with being attracted to someone; there's a lot wrong with cheating on someone.
Reply 16
Original post by Miss G
How could someone no longer breathing offer it to you? :biggrin:
:tongue:

Original post by Miss G
But, yes. I have difficutly believing that you don't have standards. Most people have standards. There are just some people you would do, and some you wouldn't. You can't honestly tell me, thinking back to all the girls you've ever known, that at least some of them don't repulse you.

You seem to be projecting your own attitudes and values onto others but this is merely your perspective, you shouldn't assume that everybody must feel the same way. I can honestly say that I've never been repulsed by any woman's physical appearance, yes. I have nevertheless been repulsed by some girls personalities/things they've said or done.
I understand your premise, but you don't seem to have taken into account the individual, like tastes and blind women?

Also what about homosexual relationships? How can a woman deserve to be cheated on then when this rejects your idea of biologically choosing a partner for mating purposes.
Reply 18
Original post by Hypocrism
There's nothing wrong with being attracted to someone; there's a lot wrong with cheating on someone.

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with being attracted to someone, I said that there's something wrong with dismissing somebody out of hand based purely upon their physical appearance. Ultimately you reap what sow; if a woman chooses to be with a man based merely on his physical attractiveness, and in so doing disregards all the genuine, kind and loyal but physically unappealing men, she has made her bed and thus has no grounds for complaint when her partner goes and lays in somebody else's.

It is on this basis that I assert that women who select their partners with shallowness and superficiality at the forefront of their minds deserve to end up with unfaithful partners.

I actually understand your statement. Unlike most posters, I didn't read the title and keyboard warrior it out to say:
'Cheating is wrong y'all' :ahee:

I contest your statement however.

Biologically-evolutionary speaking, it is beneficial for a male to stay with one mate. The benefits of continuous procreation with one partner are numerous, such as:

- Controlled nourishment for children
- Reliable birthing
- Safer environment (Even for the Alpha male)
- Moral inheritance theory
- Sexual dimorphic influence

Those are just some of the points that make monogamy a socially and evolutionary sound practice.

That established, it is dually acceptable for females to seek men with desirable traits, whilst men seek monogamy.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending