The Student Room Group

Changing University

Hi all,

Can someone explain to me the procedure associated with moving to a different university?

I am mature student (25), about to start my second semester of my first year (year 0, foundation year) - So very early in the stage.

I really hate my current university.

What are the steps I need to take i.e. who to approach, timescales of what to do when, is UCAS involved?

Is the procedure of "moving" easier than the ordeal of applying via UCAS and getting in to a Uni on your first initial application procedure?

Any help, advice and good links or info would really be appreciated but would really like to hear from people who have been through this experience first hand.
Reply 1
From my experience I could only transfer if it was the same course but each situation is different so I would try the following:

Get in contact with the admissions team of the uni you want to go to and see what their entry requirements are and explain your situation, why you want to move etc.

They'll have a lot more information on how to go about it. You should also contact your university's student welfare team they will be able to help.

Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
hi-

i applied to transfer very late, in june, just before the ucas cut off point.

as said above youll need to contact the unis you want to go to and check their policy for transferring. they might want to view details of your modules and grades, and you might need to get a 2:1 overall. (if you are transferring straight into the next year)

then you have to go through all the ucas crap- personal statement, paying, you need references from your tutors, etc. so its the same as the first time round unfortunately but for me it took much less time because i had already been through the process and it wasnt as scary.

then you also need to sort out student finance and also let the first uni know that you are leaving! Dont formally withdraw unless your place is confirmed after results are through.

But moving was much easier second time round especially as you now know exactly what you want from uni -so research well! i can safely say i love uni now whereas i hated it first year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending