The Student Room Group

Is Lenovo A Good Laptop Brand?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Biddyish
So do I.

But I understand what they mean :smile:

Anyway I was only trying to help. Glad you're happy with your machine.

What do you mean 'understand what they mean'?
Reply 41
Original post by clubber
Ok thanks for that.

What is HD4000?

Also, is Norton 360 gold any good? I installed it onto my laptop yesterday

The integrated graphics.

Nope, I wouldn't say so, the russian one kaper something is supposed to be very good.
Reply 42
Lenovo have made a significant improvement in it's technology in the past year, pushing it's popularity sky-high. My sister and friend both own two differing models, and they are incredibly robust in comparison to some very low-end brands such as Dell (even the name makes my skin crawl!).

Having a look at the specs, it's clear that the Lenovo is better in performance. If you want to use your laptop for games or some heavy-software such as PS, I'd lean towards the Lenovo because of it's higher GHz speed and processor. Don't be fooled by Sony's TurboBooster - if you want to play a top-of-the-range game with a lower processor, you'd need a higher GHz anyway. Also, with that sort of AMD g.card that Sony offers, it's pretty much useless. Lenovo is much better when it comes to gaming.

Additional items such as the webcam and software should never be compared, because you can easily buy a good-quality webcam for around a fiver and purchase the software separately. Additional RAM can be purchased and upgraded, unlike graphics cards.

I've grown up with Sony products, and it's a shame to say that they're failing to meet standards nowadays. A couple years back, the VAIO was considered to be of high quality. I always wanted one, but the budget was too small for its price. Now, the VAIO still remains the same as it was four years ago...at the same price.
Might just hijack this thread slightly...

I'm planning on getting this Lenovo - the specs are incredible as is the price. Is an i5 processor significantly better than an i3 though? And is there anywhere I can find the same notebook with less ram & memory (I'm not going to need 1TB and 8GB, 500GB and 6GB would be perfect) for less money?

@OP I used to have a ThinkPad and it was fantastic. Robust till the end, great machine.
Reply 44
Original post by St. Brynjar
Might just hijack this thread slightly...

I'm planning on getting this Lenovo - the specs are incredible as is the price. Is an i5 processor significantly better than an i3 though? And is there anywhere I can find the same notebook with less ram & memory (I'm not going to need 1TB and 8GB, 500GB and 6GB would be perfect) for less money?

@OP I used to have a ThinkPad and it was fantastic. Robust till the end, great machine.

Well the mobile version there is less difference then the desktop version, but its much faster and better for gaming.
Well a cheaper one with the same specs but no gt630m.
Reply 45
Original post by Faberry
Lenovo have made a significant improvement in it's technology in the past year, pushing it's popularity sky-high. My sister and friend both own two differing models, and they are incredibly robust in comparison to some very low-end brands such as Dell (even the name makes my skin crawl!).

Having a look at the specs, it's clear that the Lenovo is better in performance. If you want to use your laptop for games or some heavy-software such as PS, I'd lean towards the Lenovo because of it's higher GHz speed and processor. Don't be fooled by Sony's TurboBooster - if you want to play a top-of-the-range game with a lower processor, you'd need a higher GHz anyway. Also, with that sort of AMD g.card that Sony offers, it's pretty much useless. Lenovo is much better when it comes to gaming.

Additional items such as the webcam and software should never be compared, because you can easily buy a good-quality webcam for around a fiver and purchase the software separately. Additional RAM can be purchased and upgraded, unlike graphics cards.

I've grown up with Sony products, and it's a shame to say that they're failing to meet standards nowadays. A couple years back, the VAIO was considered to be of high quality. I always wanted one, but the budget was too small for its price. Now, the VAIO still remains the same as it was four years ago...at the same price.

Really :eek: wow.

I never knew my Lenovo laptop would be good for gaming.

I do a Computing course and bought this laptop purely based on my system architecture knowledge :wink:. Never knew I would make such a great choice
Reply 46
Guys, I love this laptop. Thanks so much for your comments.

I feel that the battery life is really good.
Reply 47
My friend has a Lenovo laptop (got it for Computer Science course) and whilst I would also agree they seem to look good, and be quite reliable his laptop nearly fried in his bag as it somehow turned itself on whilst we was traveling.

So would just be a bit careful if your going to be carrying it around places!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending