The Student Room Group

Is Lenovo A Good Laptop Brand?

Hi,

I bought a laptop a few days ago and it was a Lenovo.

I have never had a laptop before and have always had a desktop. Thing is, I can build desktops so I know a lot about them.

Anyways, I ended up getting the Lenovo Z580 laptop (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-z580-15-6-laptop-grey-17056582-pdt.html ). The specs of the laptop looked good to me.

However, I really liked the Sony Laptop (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-sve1512w1esi-cek-15-5-laptop-silver-17056567-pdt.html )

I'm asking if the laptop I got was good, because I still haven't opened the packaging and I can still exchange it for another laptop if necessary.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have heard Lenovo isn't really good. I do not own one myself though, so I can not tell you personally.
Reply 2
Original post by clubber
Hi,

I have never had a laptop before and have always had a desktop. Thing is, I can build desktops so I know a lot about them.

Anyways, I ended up getting the Lenovo Z580 laptop (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-z580-15-6-laptop-grey-17056582-pdt.html ). The specs of the laptop looked good to me.

However, I really liked the Sony Laptop (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-sve1512w1esi-cek-15-5-laptop-silver-17056567-pdt.html )

I'm asking if the laptop I got was good, because I still haven't opened the packaging and I can still exchange it for another laptop if necessary.

Thanks

That i7 is the low end i7, its dual core, so wasted money there in my opinion though it faster then the i5's.

Have a look at this:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_E15_-_Core_i5_3210M_4GB_640GB_15.5_Screen_Shared_Win_8_HP_SVE1512K1EB/version.asp

Also Lenovo is highly reputable, one reason is they make a range called thinkpads which businesses love.
Reply 3
Original post by clubber
Hi,

Thanks

They are very good, they manufacture the ThinkPad brand of laptops which are widely used in businesses.
I have one and it's the only laptop I've ever had where I've managed to get a longer battery run-time than what was quoted by the manufacturer (says 5 hours on the box, I got 7.5 hours with wifi off, 6 with wifi on). It feels very well built for the price and it still works great despite being very heavily used.

If you paid £549.99 for that laptop, you've had an excellent deal.
The sony one has a better GPU, more RAM and a BD drive, but unless you're going to be doing lots of gaming, the GPU doesn't matter, the RAM is easily and cheaply upgradeable and unless you're going to be watching blu-rays on it, you don't need the BD drive. As it has a worse CPU and battery life, I wouldn't say the Sony was worth £130 more than the Lenovo.
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
That i7 is the low end i7, its dual core, so wasted money there in my opinion though it faster then the i5's.

Have a look at this:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_E15_-_Core_i5_3210M_4GB_640GB_15.5_Screen_Shared_Win_8_HP_SVE1512K1EB/version.asp

Also Lenovo is highly reputable, one reason is they make a range called thinkpads which businesses love.

Should I get the VAIO instead?

I have never heard off Lenovo til a few days ago. The i7 processor is what made me go for it.
Reply 5
Original post by NewFolder
They are very good, they manufacture the ThinkPad brand of laptops which are widely used in businesses.
I have one and it's the only laptop I've ever had where I've managed to get a longer battery run-time than what was quoted by the manufacturer (says 5 hours on the box, I got 7.5 hours with wifi off, 6 with wifi on). It feels very well built for the price and it still works great despite being very heavily used.

If you paid £549.99 for that laptop, you've had an excellent deal.
The sony one has a better GPU, more RAM and a BD drive, but unless you're going to be doing lots of gaming, the GPU doesn't matter, the RAM is easily and cheaply upgradeable and unless you're going to be watching blu-rays on it, you don't need the BD drive. As it has a worse CPU and battery life, I wouldn't say the Sony was worth £130 more than the Lenovo.

Thing is, the Sony just looks better. I tried them both before buying. The only reason I went for Lenovo is because they put a i7 processor inside.

But the thing is Lenovo don't seem reputable and I just feel that the product looks a bit cheap.
Reply 6
Original post by clubber
Thing is, the Sony just looks better. I tried them both before buying. The only reason I went for Lenovo is because they put a i7 processor inside.

But the thing is Lenovo don't seem reputable and I just feel that the product looks a bit cheap.

They are a reputable brand, businesses around the world use their ThinkPad laptops.

It may look cheap, but is it really worth paying £130 more just because it looks cheap?
Reply 7
AFAIK, Lenovo came to be from IBM selling off their computer business to focus instead on tech services. So there is a good pedigree for the company, although whether that translates a particular laptop being better than the competition is another question.
Reply 8
They are a reputable brand, businesses around the world use their ThinkPad laptops.

It may look cheap, but is it really worth paying £130 more just because it looks cheap?

Sony laptops are durable.

I know a few mates of mine who have had vaios for years now and I got to admit I like them.

When I went to PC World, I asked the people working there what they thought of Lenovo and they said it wasn't good (of course they would, they want to make money). Apparently the guys I asked worked in the Knowhow department and they kept saying the VAIO was a better option.

Whilst I feel that getting a VAIO will rip me off, I do feel that it may last me a good four years.

What do you think? The Lenovo I got was not a ThinkPad (which was owned by IBM).
Reply 9
cant speak for lenovos own brand widgets but their thinkpad ranges are impeccable!
Reply 10
Original post by clubber
Should I get the VAIO instead?

I have never heard off Lenovo til a few days ago. The i7 processor is what made me go for it.

Its up to you, but not the pcworld one, the one I linked is reasonable..........

Lenovo is highly reputable, one of the top makers in reliability in general, i7 you bought is just a dual core, but the fastest dualcore there is, not a proper quadcore which i7's on laptops generally are.
Reply 11
Original post by clubber
Sony laptops are durable.

I know a few mates of mine who have had vaios for years now and I got to admit I like them.

When I went to PC World, I asked the people working there what they thought of Lenovo and they said it wasn't good (of course they would, they want to make money). Apparently the guys I asked worked in the Knowhow department and they kept saying the VAIO was a better option.

Whilst I feel that getting a VAIO will rip me off, I do feel that it may last me a good four years.

What do you think? The Lenovo I got was not a ThinkPad (which was owned by IBM).

It will definitely last you 4 years if you look after it.

It may not be a ThinkPad, but they are still good laptops.

If I had the choice of those two, I'd go for the Lenovo, it's £130 cheaper, has a better processor and battery life, and ample RAM for most purposes.

If I wanted a gaming laptop, I'd choose the Sony out of those two, due to the better GPU, although I'd use a desktop for gaming.

For anything else though, I'd pick the Lenovo.
Reply 12
It will definitely last you 4 years if you look after it.

It may not be a ThinkPad, but they are still good laptops.

If I had the choice of those two, I'd go for the Lenovo, it's £130 cheaper, has a better processor and battery life, and ample RAM for most purposes.

If I wanted a gaming laptop, I'd choose the Sony out of those two, due to the better GPU, although I'd use a desktop for gaming.

For anything else though, I'd pick the Lenovo.

Dunno. Might just stick with Lenovo for now.

I might replace my current desktop with a new one.

I have a £1000 budget (well earned) and that was why I wasn't bothered about the money being spent on a laptop.

BTW, what do you think of this laptop (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-e-series-sve1712z1eb-cek-17-3-laptop-17056569-pdt.html )?
Reply 13
Original post by clubber
Dunno. Might just stick with Lenovo for now.

I might replace my current desktop with a new one.

I have a £1000 budget (well earned) and that was why I wasn't bothered about the money being spent on a laptop.

BTW, what do you think of this laptop (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-e-series-sve1712z1eb-cek-17-3-laptop-17056569-pdt.html )?

It looks very nice, although it seems just a little bit too expensive for the spec. It is a very good spec, but I wouldn't say it was quite worth it, considering the price difference between that and the other laptops you suggested.

What do you want to use the laptop for? It may be better to keep the lenovo and use the remainder of your budget to upgrade your desktop maybe?
Reply 14
Lenovo Thinkpads is where it's at. They're extremely sturdy laptops, and aesthetically pleasing for those with an acquired taste. You can also find them with some good specs.
Reply 15
It looks very nice, although it seems just a little bit too expensive for the spec. It is a very good spec, but I wouldn't say it was quite worth it, considering the price difference between that and the other laptops you suggested.

What do you want to use the laptop for? It may be better to keep the lenovo and use the remainder of your budget to upgrade your desktop maybe?

+1REP. Thanks.

I will keep the Lenovo. I mean its not bad for the price I paid, and the RAM can be upgraded easily.

I like the fact that it comes with a good sound system. But I have a few questions to ask you.

Can I install a graphics card to this laptop?

Is this product durable (long lasting)?

Can I get a better battery?

Is there any way I could make the product more visually appealing?

Does it matter if it comes with a i7 dual core?

Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by Astonix
Lenovo Thinkpads is where it's at. They're extremely sturdy laptops, and aesthetically pleasing for those with an acquired taste. You can also find them with some good specs.

This laptop is an IdeaPad.

I know the ThinkPads are good because they used to be owned by IBM and my parents used to own them back in the days (early 2000's).

Thing is, is the IdeaPad a good range?
Reply 17
Original post by Iqbal007
Its up to you, but not the pcworld one, the one I linked is reasonable..........

Lenovo is highly reputable, one of the top makers in reliability in general, i7 you bought is just a dual core, but the fastest dualcore there is, not a proper quadcore which i7's on laptops generally are.

+1REP. Thanks.

It seems that based on this thread, Lenovo seem to have a good reputation.

I have decided to keep the Lenovo for now.

Thing is, is it bad that the laptop came with a i7 dual core instead of a quad core?

Also does this come with wifi? Because in the specs it says NON-INTEL 1X1 BGN+BT4.0.

What would you say that the product lacks on? Like the weak points to the product
Original post by clubber
Hi,

Thanks

I bought a lenovo and it is great.
I had concerns that it's a chinese make but after all what is not been made in china.
Sony is always over priced. I would suggest lenovo.
You can always compare the processors on intel webpage: they are the same for desktop and laptops:wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by greenforce
I bought a lenovo and it is great. I had concerns that it's a chinese make but after all what is not been made in china.
Sony is over priced and also an i5, where as lenovo is way above in specs.
You can always compare the processors on intel webpage: they are the same for desktop and laptops:wink:

Thanks for that.

My concern was whether the Lenovo was durable or not (long lasting).

Do you know if I can install a graphics card?

Also, does this come with wifi? Because on the specs it says NON-INTEL 1X1 BGN+BT4.0.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending