The Student Room Group

How much did you drive after you passed your test ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by gorjus
thank you fellyjish!!!so i have been driving and feeling more confident,but was driving into my yard and scratched the car on one side because i was too close to the wall so that decreased my confidence!i never had experience with driving in and out of a driveway and i never parked next to another vehicle before so this is preventing me from going out.how do you park a bmw next to another vehicle and reverse out a yard and drive into it?

Hello again.

I myself barely learned to park inwards when I was learning to drive. The only time l actually drove (badly) into a parking bay was when I finished my driving test, so don't worry if you think you were the only one with little or no experience in that regard.

Here we go: Driving in to a driveway/parking spot.

First, I suggest finding a car park (again, I know), but this time make sure you practice driving into empty spaces AND areas that have cars already parked. Make sure your front left (or right) tire is even with the painted bay line, then turn your steering wheel to the left and straighten up the wheel as you're going in. This will get you comfortable before attempting to park next to someone else's car.

If you scratch your car, it sounds to me that you're not swinging out far enough to give the rear wheels time to straighten up.

So if your driveway is on the left, and there isn't much room on the left to turn, what you have to do is swing out to the right so you're closer to the right lane, then swing left into the spot. If done correctly, it's usually just a matter of driving straight in. If your driveway is on the right, then just do the opposite.

Note: Try to turn when your front left or right wheel is even with the start of your driveway.

Now, if you want to reverse out of your driveway, put your gear in reverse, use your mirrors and turn your head so you can see both directions of the road behind you, then feather the clutch and/or apply the gas gently. Check for cars and pedestrians! Once you're halfway or 3/4s of the way out your driveway, turn the wheel in the direction which want to go. If your reversing onto the immediate road which you want to go on, i.e., the road next to your driveway, I suggest apply full lock to your steering wheel. If you're reversing on the road furthest away, with the intention of going in the opposite direction, apply only one turn. If you see cars coming, do not panic. Take your time and you'll be away in no time.

That's the gist of it. If you need any more advance or clarification, you know where I am.

I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest