The Student Room Group

How do you revise for English Literature A level?

I have an exam in January (edexcel) and was looking for revision techniques. In which way do you make notes on the books that you study? I have extracted quotations and explained them a bit + looked at themes and symbols. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you
Original post by purple_clouds
I have an exam in January (edexcel) and was looking for revision techniques. In which way do you make notes on the books that you study? I have extracted quotations and explained them a bit + looked at themes and symbols. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you

1. Reread the books
2. Do some further reading on the books (google is fine, Jstor is better even if you just read the introductions)
3. Compile a list of quotes
4. Practice exams
5. Get top marks :awesome:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
1. Reread the books
2. Do some further reading on the books (google is fine, Jstor is better even if you just read the introductions)
3. Compile a list of quotes
4. Practice exams
5. Get top marks :awesome:

Do you group your quotes by character, theme, setting, etc? Or just select the most important ones?
Do you group your quotes by character, theme, setting, etc? Or just select the most important ones?

I do it more by points I plan on making. I sit with a blank piece of paper, and make bullet points of what I can say about a piece. For each of these points, I find either a quote that supports it or an example of something in the novel that supports it.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I do it more by points I plan on making. I sit with a blank piece of paper, and make bullet points of what I can say about a piece. For each of these points, I find either a quote that supports it or an example of something in the novel that supports it.

Oh ok, thanks!
Additional revision tips are welcome :smile:
Reply 6
Get the past papers and practice doing the essays ! Even do essay plans for each question it really helps !
Make a list of quotes for character , themes etc.. you can learn them by re-writing them or sticking them up around your room or something. Thats what I do anyways :smile:
what would you guys say a good nubmer of quotes is per book?

Thank you

I am doing the same as you, i tried practicing by re writing essays making mind maps and picking out quotes from the streetcar named desire that can be used for any point e.g. them... desire... death....
know what i mean
Reply 9
I’d say about 30 good ones
I hate to break it to you but looks like you're about 7 years too late

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending