The Student Room Group

AQA Accounting - Unit 1. Revision tips please?

Hiya. :biggrin:

I find Accounting as a whole fairly tricky... does anyone happen to know of any good tactics to approach the paper?

I find Memorandums and Balance Sheets the toughest, as well as most of the theory. :frown:
Hi. I'm an A2 accounting student. I got an A at AS and got an A(92ums) in this paper. Hopefully I can be of help to you. Balance sheets have a set format so remember the format and what goes where. Just keep practicing them and you will be come familiar with the type of additional information such as accruals prepayments depreciation etc. Thats all there is really to mastering the balance sheet. Onto your next point about memorandums and theory. I found that memorising definitions of keywords from mark schemes and generally answers for any written questions since they are pretty generic and repeat themselves and ul know you will get close to full marks on them since they are from previous paper's mark schemes. Also this is the book I used. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1905777140/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356457593&sr=8-1&pi=SL75. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Hi. I'm an A2 accounting student. I got an A at AS and got an A(92ums) in this paper. Hopefully I can be of help to you. Balance sheets have a set format so remember the format and what goes where. Just keep practicing them and you will be come familiar with the type of additional information such as accruals prepayments depreciation etc. Thats all there is really to mastering the balance sheet. Onto your next point about memorandums and theory. I found that memorising definitions of keywords from mark schemes and generally answers for any written questions since they are pretty generic and repeat themselves and ul know you will get close to full marks on them since they are from previous paper's mark schemes. Also this is the book I used. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1905777140/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356457593&sr=8-1&pi=SL75. Good luck.

Ah, believe me, you have been most helpful. Thank you so much!
I've been trying a few Balance Sheets and Income Statements since I've posted this thread... it is slowly beginning to make sense. I've only done three, but I get a bit more marks each time. Now to face the memorandums!

Again, thank you good sir. ^_^
No problem. Keep practicing exam questions and you'll no doubt get an A.
Reply 4
Hopefully you find some of these videos useful.

Learn Accounting Podcasts by Prof. Accounting
http://www.youtube.com/user/profaccounting

Original post by FaisalTreShah
Ah, believe me, you have been most helpful. Thank you so much!
I've been trying a few Balance Sheets and Income Statements since I've posted this thread... it is slowly beginning to make sense. I've only done three, but I get a bit more marks each time. Now to face the memorandums!

Again, thank you good sir. ^_^
Reply 5
Original post by A.A.T.
Hopefully you find some of these videos useful.

Learn Accounting Podcasts by Prof. Accounting
http://www.youtube.com/user/profaccounting

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to look into them. :smile:
Im in the same boat, i have to do accounting unit 1 and 2 in January, im doing the whole a level over a year, acc 2 is easier to understand, but i want an A in my AS level so A2 level i can ease off the pressure and stress, currently im struggling ;(
Reply 7
Original post by maths-mental
Im in the same boat, i have to do accounting unit 1 and 2 in January, im doing the whole a level over a year, acc 2 is easier to understand, but i want an A in my AS level so A2 level i can ease off the pressure and stress, currently im struggling ;(

And I thought I had it bad! My goodness, I do wish you the best of luck!
Aww good luck! Well when I first did it I got a U on that paper LOL. I retook it and got an A.. I did past papers upon past papers for weeks. Trust me, just keep doing past papers. Do the same one over and over if you need to. They always word the questions similarly and you know there will be a few altercations in the balance sheet that you will be able to spot easily once you get the hang of the income statements.

Once you've mastered unit 1, unit 2 will be a lot better as the income statement still comes up on it and various other statements which just need to be practised through past papers. As for the theory, again past papers make you wary of key words to look out for and if you just jot those down you can possibly gain good marks on those questions. Just learn the layout of past papers and mark schemes as that's all I did considering I bunked so many lessons lol =/
Original post by FaisalTreShah
And I thought I had it bad! My goodness, I do wish you the best of luck!

thanks for that, need all the luck i can get lol
Original post by Confusing_Chem
Aww good luck! Well when I first did it I got a U on that paper LOL. I retook it and got an A.. I did past papers upon past papers for weeks. Trust me, just keep doing past papers. Do the same one over and over if you need to. They always word the questions similarly and you know there will be a few altercations in the balance sheet that you will be able to spot easily once you get the hang of the income statements.

Once you've mastered unit 1, unit 2 will be a lot better as the income statement still comes up on it and various other statements which just need to be practised through past papers. As for the theory, again past papers make you wary of key words to look out for and if you just jot those down you can possibly gain good marks on those questions. Just learn the layout of past papers and mark schemes as that's all I did considering I bunked so many lessons lol =/

i might start doing that today, till the 16th when the unit 1 exam is
BTW i know this wont change anything now, but I have only had the AQA book for accounting AS level, its like made by AQA, Nelson thornes, however i know this book is really crap, it doesnt teach me in a student friendly way, do you recommend any other book for a2 level so that i dont have to purchase the A2 level nelson thornes
Original post by maths-mental
i might start doing that today, till the 16th when the unit 1 exam is
BTW i know this wont change anything now, but I have only had the AQA book for accounting AS level, its like made by AQA, Nelson thornes, however i know this book is really crap, it doesnt teach me in a student friendly way, do you recommend any other book for a2 level so that i dont have to purchase the A2 level nelson thornes

Never read the Nelson Thorne book so no idea how that is but I'm using "A2 Accounting for AQA" by Osborne Books, I think David Cox and Michael something are the publishers. It's a very helpful book, gives you a worked example and then some practice questions for you to do. However, I think the practice questions don't accurately relate to the ones in the past paper, so I usually tend to read the chapters from the book and go straight to the past papers. For accounting (like some other subjects) I find past papers are the best thing to have as everything is repetitive so you get good practice.

I'm retaking unit 2 on 24th as I got a C in it, totally didn't focus on this unit lol. Hopefully push that up to an A as I've heard that Unit 4 is tricky so quite nervous about that in the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending