Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I so emotionally attached to my animals?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only had a few dogs throughout my childhood, but I feel so close to animals

everytime I go to another country and see how ill treated animals are I get so upset, it kills me

Seeing or hearing about how animals get treated badly upsets me on a deep level

My mom cares and does a lot more for animals than me but it doesn't effect her as much as it effects me

Why is this?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because humans are scum, whereas animals are pure and only become cruel because of humans. Some would also say it's because they can't defend themselves in modern society (as in they can't pop into Greggs for a pasty when hungry).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They were part of your childhood (years that are quite precious) hence why they mean more to you than your mum.

You're also a very affectionate and compassionate person, there's nothing wrong with that Your username even represents that kind of person you are.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Because humans are scum, whereas animals are pure and only become cruel because of humans. Some would also say it's because they can't defend themselves in modern society (as in they can't pop into Greggs for a pasty when hungry).
    Err... Wild animals are capable of feeding themselves too. Wild animals have certainly found ways to defend themselves.

Define 'pure' because a lot of animals kill to live in quite grotesque ways.

Humans are criticised because we're supposedly meant to be non-barbaric, socially. However intrinsically, we all are (to various extents).
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Err... Wild animals are capable of feeding themselves too. Wild animals have certainly found ways to defend themselves.

Define 'pure' because a lot of animals kill to live in quite grotesque ways.

Humans are criticised because we're supposedly meant to be non-barbaric, socially. However intrinsically, we all are (to various extents).
    I don't think the OP is speaking about wild animals which fly around the African plains chomping on the leg of an unfortunate zebra. The OP is speaking about when humans mistreat animals, so the sort of things our species comes into contact with. When we come into contact with animals the animal generally doesn't survive if it attempts to defend itself; either through immediate action of retrospective counterattack.

By pure I mean the animals we domesticate tend to become violent because we make them violent. Like the dogs the OP mentions, they are not born evil or with violent tendencies. They get that way because of thwat we do to them.

I totally agree with you. Whoever thinks that we aren't barbaric are either morons or live as hermits on the side of a mountain.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the OP is speaking about wild animals which fly around the African plains chomping on the leg of an unfortunate zebra. The OP is speaking about when humans mistreat animals, so the sort of things our species comes into contact with. When we come into contact with animals the animal generally doesn't survive if it attempts to defend itself; either through immediate action of retrospective counterattack.

By pure I mean the animals we domesticate tend to become violent because we make them violent. Like the dogs the OP mentions, they are not born evil or with violent tendencies. They get that way because of thwat we do to them.

I totally agree with you. Whoever thinks that we aren't barbaric are either morons or live as hermits on the side of a mountain.
    Okay I understand now. Yes, no animal deserves to be mistreated.

It can it argued however that like humans, other animals can be born 'evil' or conditioned to be 'evil' (like you said). Like humans, animals have personalities.

Your first sentence made me laugh out loud.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    But humans are also pure by your logic because the one's that are 'cruel' are usually that way because of how they were treated by their masters (parents)
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Okay I understand now. Yes, no animal deserves to be mistreated.

It can it argued however that like humans, other animals can be born 'evil' or conditioned to be 'evil' (like you said). Like humans, animals have personalities.

Your first sentence made me laugh out loud.
    I think what makes animals different from humans in terms of their minds, however, is the fact they are of a more primitive mind. There are only so many things they can comprehend. You must actively condition an animal to turn it violent, whereas a human you have no real control due to how easy negative influences can travel and our ability to understand it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    But humans are also pure by your logic because the one's that are 'cruel' are usually that way because of how they were treated by their masters (parents)
    I believe humans in this day and age must be actively conditioned to do good. Since we, unlike animals, have the ability to comprehend the disgusting doings going on around the world we must actively condition ourselves to be unduly influenced by it. Since animals can't understand these things unless they are actively involved you must train them to be bad.

I suppose in a way humans are pure, but it means next to nothing since being exposed to such information is so simple. The only way you could have a pure human is by cutting them off from society really. We are too intelligent to not be unduly influenced. If this wasn't the case parents wouldn't need to tell us the difference between right and wrong, we would be good naturally.

It's an extremely complicated issue which this thread, and myself, are over simplifying for debating purposes, though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 25, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.