The Student Room Group

someone dials 999 beause his son wouldn't go to bed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
There are some special people around, I can't understand why someone would dial 999 because his son wouldn't go to bed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20838335

Never underestimate the stupidity of humanity.
Original post by OU Student
And they can't call their home number because...? That's what I tend to do - call home / parents mobile to check my phone works properly.

These people should be fined. There are people out there who really need emergency services and these people are preventing this.:mad:

Well, I imagine their phone hasn't been properly registered with the network or something... But that's not exactly a long process to do.

Mostly just laziness. I don't see why the phone wouldn't work!
Unfortunately many people are very dumb. Make that more than many...
Original post by Monarose
Because some people just want to watch tax payers' money burn.

Literally the first thing that came into my head. Nerds unite.
111 isnt great, ive phoned 3 times for non emergancy issues (once for a possible overdose advice, once for and emergancy doctors appointment because the regular doctors are closed, and once for a reaction to antibiotics) and twice they sent out ambulances anyway
Reply 26
Some people are just pure stupid
Reply 27
Absolutely pathetic. There are much better ways to get your child to do as they are told than threaten to call the police on them. For example, taking the games console away from the child.

Hopefully this idiot didn't stop anyone who actually needed the emergency services from getting through to them.

Original post by rattusratus
111 isnt great, ive phoned 3 times for non emergancy issues (once for a possible overdose advice, once for and emergancy doctors appointment because the regular doctors are closed, and once for a reaction to antibiotics) and twice they sent out ambulances anyway

That was probably because a possible overdose or reaction to antibiotics could be a medical emergency - better to send out an ambulance and not need it, than to not send out an ambulance when you do need it.
Original post by NewFolder
Absolutely pathetic. There are much better ways to get your child to do as they are told than threaten to call the police on them. For example, taking the games console away from the child.

Hopefully this idiot didn't stop anyone who actually needed the emergency services from getting through to them.

That was probably because a possible overdose or reaction to antibiotics could be a medical emergency - better to send out an ambulance and not need it, than to not send out an ambulance when you do need it.

they didnt send an ambulance for the possible overdose it was the other two

the first time the sent out an ambulance the paramedics had to stay while they got advice to leave from the emergency doctor (which took an hour, and i was fine didnt even need an ambulance - ive never felt so stupid and thinking of all the people that might of need that ambulance :frown:)

the second one turned out to be sepsis instead of a reaction to antibiotics so i probably would of ended up in hospital either way but it wasnt a life or death emergency

the problem is 111 call takers arnt trained and just read off a sheet, if you have a simple headache they legally have to call for an ambulance (how stupid is that)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rattusratus
the problem is 111 call takers arnt trained and just read off a sheet, if you have a simple headache they legally have to call for an ambulance (how stupid is that)

Why would you call if you just had a simple headache?:s-smilie:
Original post by OU Student
Why would you call if you just had a simple headache?:s-smilie:

i wouldnt but a headache can often be a symptom if you have something else... i.e you have the flu, you might get vomiting, lethargic feeling, a head ache ect... but the hospital cant do anything unless your suffering from dehydration - but as soon as 111 hear headache they have to phone an ambulance
My first thought when reading this headline was that this parent must have had their parents do the same thing to him as a child, only pretend, but the poor guy didn't realise it was only a pretend phonecall...my first reaction was to feel sorry for the guy for being so gullible xD
Reply 32
They say the police have 'powers to prosecute' timewasters, but don't say how hard they hit them. A "some bloke got fined £1million for wasting our time" would deter far more people than a vague threat of potential action.
Original post by Sephiroth
Is it normal to get put on hold when you dial 999? I mean they always go on about how these calls could stop regular calls getting through but surely the same is true if there is higher demand than usual. And thus they should have a good amount of spare capacity.

My Mum was put on hold when she called 999 because someone was breaking into the house.
Surely this kind of thing shouldn't go unpunished? The operators could be missing genuine calls which could stop people from getting help in an real emergency.

These people should be fined at the very least for wasting the emergency services' time.
It's scary that people that think this **** is okay. A fine might work in deterring people but I suspect most of those doing them are drunk. Alternatively we could create a special call centre named the Insignificant Domestic Incidents and Other Trivialities Line or IDIOTS Line to deal with these nutjobs.
Maybe a little harsh but I hope that all these idiots one day get trapped in a burning house/are having a heart attack/need the police but can't get through because some jackass is hogging the lines.

That might teach them to stop being so selfish. Harsh but true-this is exactly what they are doing to others, and they must know it, but they don't seem to care at all.
Reply 38
Punishments need to be harsher on hoax callers.
Original post by Mourinho<3
Maybe a little harsh but I hope that all these idiots one day get trapped in a burning house/are having a heart attack/need the police but can't get through because some jackass is hogging the lines.

That might teach them to stop being so selfish. Harsh but true-this is exactly what they are doing to others, and they must know it, but they don't seem to care at all.

The special one is here, really????? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending