The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by almunia
Sometimes it'll come under 2.6 on the logbook or 1.3. If it's 1.3 you're lucky as many insurance companies will just look at the engine size and add an extra premium on top of.

No, they'll look at the type of car.

They don't see Mazda RX8 1.3 and think "oh a 1.3, let's give him a good price." - their algorithms are far more complex than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by shaymarriott
No, they'll look at the type of car.

They don't see Mazda RX8 1.3 and think "oh a 1.3, let's give him a good price." - their algorithms are far more complex than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The ones that are 1.3 on paper are more desirable than the 2.6 because they can contribute to insurance depending on the company.

also for people like me on traders insurance limited to 1.8l due to my age the 1.3 is my only option. Even though it's the same engine it all comes down to what the logbook states it as.
It is absolutely not the perfect car for a new driver! While cheap to buy, they are extremely expensive to run and are relatively complex to maintain. The engine needs refurbishing every so often (I think ever 5-10k miles), and then you have to be careful not to go over a certain RPM for the first few hundred miles after a refurb. The one that my dad owned was prone to flooding, and to remedy this, you have to take off the front passenger side wheel to be able to access the necessary engine bits (I’m not too familiar with the technicalities or rotary engines). Furthermore, you kinda need to use the sporty variety of petrol and mix a little bit of two stroke oil into the fuel. You can’t use synthetic oil etc etc. Basically it’s a whole load of faff to maintain a rotary.Even if maintainence wasn’t a problem, an rx8 is way way too powerful for a new driver and rear wheel drive makes driving in rain, snow and ice even more dangerous than usual, despite having traction control.In conclusion: I love the rx8, it’s an incredibly fun and surprisingly comfortable and practical car (we used to have one as our family car!). But it’s one for when you’re: a) a more experienced driver and car owner and b) have enough money to cope with unexpected repairs and high maintenance costs.
Original post by ben26121
It is absolutely not the perfect car for a new driver! While cheap to buy, they are extremely expensive to run and are relatively complex to maintain. The engine needs refurbishing every so often (I think ever 5-10k miles), and then you have to be careful not to go over a certain RPM for the first few hundred miles after a refurb. The one that my dad owned was prone to flooding, and to remedy this, you have to take off the front passenger side wheel to be able to access the necessary engine bits (I’m not too familiar with the technicalities or rotary engines). Furthermore, you kinda need to use the sporty variety of petrol and mix a little bit of two stroke oil into the fuel. You can’t use synthetic oil etc etc. Basically it’s a whole load of faff to maintain a rotary.Even if maintainence wasn’t a problem, an rx8 is way way too powerful for a new driver and rear wheel drive makes driving in rain, snow and ice even more dangerous than usual, despite having traction control.In conclusion: I love the rx8, it’s an incredibly fun and surprisingly comfortable and practical car (we used to have one as our family car!). But it’s one for when you’re: a) a more experienced driver and car owner and b) have enough money to cope with unexpected repairs and high maintenance costs.

Not even going to address how much is wrong in this post because it's a 6 year old thread. But there's a lot wrong lol. And calling an rx8 powerful is hilarious.

Latest

Trending

Trending