The Student Room Group

Slowbro93's path to a healthy wellbeing

Hello :wavey:

So with the new year around the corner, I've decided to drive forward my lifestyle change even further so I can get to the ideal weight and fitness level that I want :yep:

How am I doing this already? I have being doing Jitsu from February this year (and doing it properly from about May so twice a week for 2 hours a session) which involves strength exercises, intense cardio and then actual technique. Since doing this I've seen my health getting better and I'm also becoming much fitter then I used to be (I've posted pictures of me before and after on the transformation contest blog :yep:)

I have improved my eating habits, however I still do things that means I am not progressing a much as I want to. I have days when I eat all the right things but I have developed a bad habit of eating junk food (mcdonalds, kfc, burgers etc.) every other day. It was last week that it hit me that I am running out of money because of this. As a result, I want to use this blog to track my food intake and will use my fitness pal to help me with this. I feel this will be the hardest thing for me :sadnod:

What is the aim of this blog? For me to track my eating habits and have the support of TSR to help me :smile: I also want to increase in strength and loose weight (I have a goal to loose 5kg atm and then will then increase once I've hit that goal). Therefore I'll do weekly weigh-ins and keep a record of that.

I've decided to also take up the 100 push up challenge. Within Jitsu I have to do quite a lot of push up/sit up/star jumps etc. but I feel that doing this challenge will benefit me to make sure I keep up with the exercises in training :redface:

I know that I've written a lot here but I want it to be a successful blog for once! The last one I closed due to trolls really insulting my weight. However, I want to try and overcome that and finally have the lifestyle I really want! Huzzah! :biggrin:

Progress

So far so good :biggrin: I plan to start doing weights and will start to really mention that from this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=41951015&postcount=147

Update:

Stats from March 2013 and April 2014 (with 3 month break due to injury):

Bench press

8x35 - 3x70

Lat Pulldown

8x52 - 5x81

OHP

8x25 - 5x35

Back Squats

8x40kg

Deadlift

8x40kg

(Can't give a full update for deadlift and Squats as knees have scared me doing these. However, I should be able to do this now)

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So I'm doing the 100 push up challenge: http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.2Ji5nDcj.dpbs

As I was able to do 25 push ups in a row before dropping I started on week 3

I was able to complete this push up session:

Set 1 - 14
Set 2 -18
Set 3 - 14
Set 4 - 14
Set 5 - 20

I am going to do Day 2 on Friday :yep:

I also complimented it with doing a 60 second plank (which I am quite impressed with as a year ago 10 seconds and I was on the floor :tongue:) and 20 sit ups (but nothing too major).

Today I started off my eating a bowl of porridge with honey (put too much in :nooo:) and raisins. I did eat a tiny bit of the salmon from yesterday's Christmas dinner but not enough for a meal. I had green tea before I had my porridge (usually drink white tea but I've only got 2 bags and I don't want to use them all till I'm back at uni). For lunch my mum gave me some of the beef from yesterday with some fried dumplings. Not the best food and not making excuses, but slowly cutting out fatty foods. Probably will have a salad later today tbh :smile: Had a glass of juice and some water with that.

I won't be back at Jitsu till the 3rd due to the holidays :yes:
Welcome, subbed so I can track your progress :wink:

Pretty much everyone on this forum is awesome, can't believe you had trolls! Although you will inevitably get some people saying forget the press ups and just do a strength routine like SS, me included :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by areebmazhar
Welcome, subbed so I can track your progress :wink:

Pretty much everyone on this forum is awesome, can't believe you had trolls! Although you will inevitably get some people saying forget the press ups and just do a strength routine like SS, me included :tongue:

May I ask, what is SS? this is a term that I've never heard of :no:
Original post by cpdavis
May I ask, what is SS? this is a term that I've never heard of :no:

Starting strength :smile: Here's a link: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

Basically 3 days a week
Workout A and B
Alternate workouts
For example
Week 1: Mon A Wed B Fri A Week 2: Mon B Wed A Fri B etc

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay rows 3x5

Add is some curlz, skullcrushers, maybe dips and extra back work (facepull, chins etc) :smile:

You'll get much better results from something like this than just cardio and press ups. As you lose weight and if you keep up the training your body shape will be much better
Reply 5
Starting strength :smile: Here's a link: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

Basically 3 days a week
Workout A and B
Alternate workouts
For example
Week 1: Mon A Wed B Fri A Week 2: Mon B Wed A Fri B etc

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay rows 3x5

Add is some curlz, skullcrushers, maybe dips and extra back work (facepull, chins etc) :smile:

You'll get much better results from something like this than just cardio and press ups. As you lose weight and if you keep up the training your body shape will be much better

I know this sounds silly, but will this result in me having to join the gym again? I ask as finances are tight and although this programme looks really good I don't have the equipment :erm: Are there any alternatives? :smile:

Thanks for the link though :h:
Reply 6
Subbing :colone:
Original post by cpdavis
I know this sounds silly, but will this result in me having to join the gym again? I ask as finances are tight and although this programme looks really good I don't have the equipment :erm: Are there any alternatives? :smile:

Thanks for the link though :h:

Yeah it will lol. How overweight are you if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 8
Yeah it will lol. How overweight are you if you don't mind me asking?

Well just calculated my BMI and it's 33.7. However, this was partly due to when I did weight training and as a result my BMI went sky high! In terms of body fat though, I am around 24% last time I checked :/

This is why I think doing a smaller steps of 5kg will work better, however I'm looking into this SS :yep:
Original post by cpdavis
Well just calculated my BMI and it's 33.7. However, this was partly due to when I did weight training and as a result my BMI went sky high! In terms of body fat though, I am around 24% last time I checked :/

This is why I think doing a smaller steps of 5kg will work better, however I'm looking into this SS :yep:

Ah right. For the mean time I guess you can just focus on shedding the fat, and then when you get closer to your goal then start incorporating SS or something similar (hopefully by then your finances may be better as well) :smile:
Go CRAIGEY!
Reply 11
Ah right. For the mean time I guess you can just focus on shedding the fat, and then when you get closer to your goal then start incorporating SS or something similar (hopefully by then your finances may be better as well) :smile:

Got it :yy: Sorry for the bombardment of questions (:ahee:) but do you think loosing 5kg is viable in 2 months?

Original post by tkoki1993
Go CRAIGEY!

:rave:
Reply 12
yo cpdavis , start counting calories .Theyre the best way to keep yo in track .Calculate your bmr , and the rest should be easy
Original post by cpdavis
Got it :yy: Sorry for the bombardment of questions (:ahee:) but do you think loosing 5kg is viable in 2 months?

:rave:

No probs and yeah it definitely is, 5kg is about 11ish pounds, so that would be a weight loss of just under 1.5lbs a week which seems pretty achievable (as long as you stay on track! :biggrin:)
Reply 14
So an update:

I haven't been able to go to my normal gym due to it being closed for the holidays and as a result haven't been able to attend training :sad: However, I've been able to watch my diet better for the past week. Nothing fancy but it's a start :h:
Reply 15
run fatboy run
Reply 16
Original post by rbnphlp
run fatboy run

Very good movie IMO :tongue:
Reply 17
First weigh in for 8 days, I'm down half a kilo :awesome: getting a digital scale as my old one is a pain to read :sadnod:

Actually forget the new scale idea, it's just going to get my obsessive which I know will make me flop :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Second set of push ups done for this week in this order:

First set - 20
Second set - 25
Third Set - 15
Forth Set - 15
Last Set - 25

I had the issue of having my toes slip of the floor and me struggling through the last set but I did it :smile:

Less then a week till Jitsu :woo:
Original post by cpdavis
Second set of push ups done for this week in this order:

First set - 20
Second set - 25
Third Set - 15
Forth Set - 15
Last Set - 25

I had the issue of having my toes slip of the floor and me struggling through the last set but I did it :smile:

Less then a week till Jitsu :woo:

Nice work, your pushups are better than mine! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest