The Student Room Group

Pressure

http://photouploads.com/images/photoojo.jpg

I thought total pressure = atmospheric pressure + (height x density x 9.81) but how comes in the solution to the above question they just worked out (height x density x 9.81) ?

I was doing a question about an air bubble under water earlier and I used
total pressure = atmospheric pressure + (height x density x 9.81) and got the answer right. How comes we don't use it here?
Reply 1
Original post by GPODT
http://photouploads.com/images/photoojo.jpg

I thought total pressure = atmospheric pressure + (height x density x 9.81) but how comes in the solution to the above question they just worked out (height x density x 9.81) ?

I was doing a question about an air bubble under water earlier and I used
total pressure = atmospheric pressure + (height x density x 9.81) and got the answer right. How comes we don't use it here?

It asks for the pressure difference, not for the pressure at the bottom.
Pressure at bottom = density*h*g + p0 (p0=atmospheric pressure)
Pressure at top = p0
Difference between the two = density*h*g
Reply 2
Original post by Naiad
It asks for the pressure difference, not for the pressure at the bottom.
Pressure at bottom = density*h*g + p0 (p0=atmospheric pressure)
Pressure at top = p0
Difference between the two = density*h*g

Why is the pressure at the bottom (density*h*g) whereas the pressure at the top is (p0) ?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by GPODT
Why is the pressure at the bottom (density*h*g) whereas the pressure at the top is (p0) ?

Thanks

It isn't. The exercise says: 'Calculate the pressure difference'.
pressure difference = pressure at bottom - pressure at the top = density*h*g + p0 - p0 = density*h*g
Reply 4
Original post by Naiad
It isn't. The exercise says: 'Calculate the pressure difference'.
pressure difference = pressure at bottom - pressure at the top = density*h*g + p0 - p0 = density*h*g

So the pressure at the bottom = density*h*g + p0
and pressure at the top = p0

My question is why does the formula for the respective pressures differ?
They don't, you're just trying to find the pressure difference. p0 is just the pressure at the top, which is ρgh less than the pressure at the bottom. Hence why they work it out via the formula ρgh.
Reply 6
Original post by GPODT
So the pressure at the bottom = density*h*g + p0
and pressure at the top = p0

My question is why does the formula for the respective pressures differ?

You mean why the pressure at the bottom differs from the pressure at the top? Because there's an extra column of air of height h pressing down on it.

ETA: Remember, pressure is force/surface, in this case weight of air column/surface.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest