The Student Room Group

Mesons and anti-mesons

Can you get anti-mesons?
I was wondering whether you could get anti-mesons anti-K meson, for example, because a meson only has two quarks and one is an anti quark so wouldn't you just make a different meson but not an anti-meson?
Reply 1
Good question - no you can't because as you rightly said, a meson is a combination of a quark and an anti-quark :smile:

I'd be interested to know why the two particles don't annihilate each other - anyone got any ideas?
Reply 2
If I recall, they do, otherwise they won't have such short lifetimes.

The simplest case is a meson composed of a quark and its antiquark, which will obviously annihilate itself.

Quark and antiquark of different flavor can annihilate themselves as well, and all you need is weak interaction to violate the conservation of flavor.

You can look up the lifetime of neutral pion and charged pion to compare their relative lifetimes.
Reply 3
Wait, what about the uncharged K-meson?

its shown in my textbook that for an uncharged k-meson, theres an anti-version of it

k-meson has a down quark and an anti-strange quark, so it follows that an anti-k-meson would have an anti-down quark and a strange quark, is this all right or have I misunderstood something? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Yep, you are correct.
Reply 5
Original post by agostino981
Yep, you are correct.

oh thats reassuring, actually in my textbook it says that the 'minus' meson is anti-version of its 'plus' counter-part, is this correct as well?
Reply 6
Indeed.
Reply 7
Original post by fincle1
Can you get anti-mesons?
I was wondering whether you could get anti-mesons anti-K meson, for example, because a meson only has two quarks and one is an anti quark so wouldn't you just make a different meson but not an anti-meson?

Isn't an anti meson of a meson, just a meson? As its still a quark-anti quark pair.

Quick Reply

Latest