The Student Room Group

Why do different music genres appeal to girls of levels of attractiveness?

Obviously I've got to generalize a little here.... but for example, go to any metal gig or club and quite a high proportion of the (not very many :biggrin:) girls there tend to be overweight. (How many girls do you know who are really into metal - i.e. wear band t-shirts frequently, attend a lot of metal nights - and aren't a little chubby??).

Meanwhile, all raves and psytrance nights that I've been to have had a much higher proportion of attractive women - I was at one last night and nearly every girl there looked like she could have been a model. (Obviously it's all subjective - everyone's got different opinions and tastes).

Typical studenty clubs (Propaganda etc.) seem to be quite all-round, though I've not actually been inside any, only seen people in the queues etc.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but I just thought I'd get people's opinions on this :s-smilie: (Also not sure if this should go in the relationships section but there are usually threads about picking up girls in clubs so I guess it kinda relates)
Reply 1
You've got it wrong
Reply 2
I have no idea what most girls listen to and probably wouldn't like it if I did.
Reply 3
I think there are many factors that need to be considered other than just the genre of music played. For example, Ministry of Sound in London tends to have a lot of 'attractive' women.

Other possible factors:

* Peer pressure - The girl may not like the music but is there because of their friends.
* Price of entry - A club I have seen has free entry for all until 1am and has fewer 'attractive' girls than one which charges £6 entry but lets girls in for free on some nights.
* Location and logistics (taxi arrangements etc.)
* Drinks available - A metal gig will predominantly have lager and ale which may not be to every girl's liking.
* Self-fulfilling prophecy - The stereotype that certain music nights are more male-orientated will lead to a higher ratio of guys to girls and vice versa.

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons I've missed. :hat2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Area is an important factor. If the place is close to or on the main strip then you're more likely to get lots of girls. I find that most women will not venture beneath the surface. Places that are popular and appear to be bustling are important for wannabe socialites. Underground has a stigma attached to it that it's either nerdy, chavvy, violent, too male or too hardcore.

People are also forgetting that women will look more attractive when YOU'RE drunk and when you're in the dark. I just don't agree that certain genres attract attractive girls and some don't. That's thinking too much.

All Women are the bait in most cases who get men in the club. They get the ****ty end of the deal. They're the exploited. They're the ones who get men in the place buying drinks and they're the ones who will make a club look good if they like it or not. Most clubs who don't rely on music and DJs to sell a night rely on this. Drinks sales and people paying for entry is what clubs rely on for survival. Look at club Facebook pictures. In most cases it's pictures of young young women.

Sorry to sound sexist but I'm talking about the mainstream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah lots of girls at Propaganda. Been before ad hated it. Not my scene.

Indie nights in general usually attract all the student types in cities. They're just RnB nights with less RnB, less black people, Asians and other minorities, less dance moves and more crazy unorganised jumping around, more pop-rock, more vintage clothing, and more middle class young white people and in some cases cheaper drinks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
When I was at school, hard rock and metal was very uncool to listen to so it might be that people who grew up liking that sort of thing are more comfy going against the grain a bit, less likely to fit in and try and be trendy, etc. I can't say I've actually noticed a difference though.
I'm surprised this isn't full of girls saying 'Oh I listen to [What OP said attractive girls listen to]' yet, so that us strangers know they're attractive. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
lol ive actually been a model for 5 years and a photographer for 7 years (although it mainly just a hobby now) and the majority of good models actually listen to rock music

obviously not all models listen to rock and not all rockers are good models but the most amazing models ive ever met where rockers and you would be surprised to find that doesnt mean they all have tattoos and piercings and black hair, some you would never know where into rock if they didnt tell you
Original post by rattusratus
ive actually been a model for 5 years

The post after mine.. that didn't last long. :colonhash:
what didnt last long lol, lots of women in photography work in modelling - trust me im no super model but i know a lot of people across all the genres of modelling from fashion to fetish to glamour to art nude
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending