The Student Room Group

How to work out degree?

I was just wondering how I would work out my degree classification...

In my second year at the moment, taking 120 modules (6 modules, 20 credits each) and it's the same amount of modules next year each being worth 20 credits.) Now I have been told that the my degree is worked out from the average of my best 180 credits (only 80 can be taken forward from my second year.)

Could you please tell me what the weighting is for my second and third year, also how I would go about working me classification out please.

Thanks guys and girls:tongue:
Reply 1
We don't know the weighting. You need to know the weighting. This varies by university. We cannot work out degree classifications until you have the weighting. But to work it out surely you just take the average from your strongest 180 credits (or, if more than 80 credits at level 2, your best 80 credits at level 2 and 100 at level 3) and then adjust per weighting?

What university are you at?
Original post by River85
We don't know the weighting. You need to know the weighting. This varies by university. We cannot work out degree classifications until you have the weighting. But to work it out surely you just take the average from your strongest 180 credits (or, if more than 80 credits at level 2, your best 80 credits at level 2 and 100 at level 3) and then adjust per weighting?

What university are you at?

What do you mean by weightings? I assumed that every module is weighted the same due to them all being worth 20 credits.
Reply 3
At the end of your final year wht they will do is calculate the best modules for 180 credits to give you the best overall percentage.
Just make sure you do well in your 2nd and 3rd year and you can strategically study the modules (That's how i got my overall 69%).
Just work hard throughout... Don't worry about it yet, my transcript is all over the place with marks (40% being my lowest -Arabic module in first year to my highest module of 86%)
Original post by lcsurfer
At the end of your final year wht they will do is calculate the best modules for 180 credits to give you the best overall percentage.
Just make sure you do well in your 2nd and 3rd year and you can strategically study the modules (That's how i got my overall 69%).
Just work hard throughout... Don't worry about it yet, my transcript is all over the place with marks (40% being my lowest -Arabic module in first year to my highest module of 86%)

What do you mean by that and well done with the overall 69%:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by pinda.college
What do you mean by weightings? I assumed that every module is weighted the same due to them all being worth 20 credits.

Third/final year modules are often given a greater weighting (they are worth more), even if all modules are the same credits. For example, it's often (but by no means always or even usually) the case that third year is worth twice as much as second year (33.3:66.3). However, as your degree is calculated by looking at your best modules across second and third years, and not all modules, I'm not sure if this will be the case.

You need to consult your degree regulations or at least ask in the appropriate university subforum (where current students who know can assist).
Original post by River85
Third/final year modules are often given a greater weighting (they are worth more), even if all modules are the same credits. For example, it's often (but by no means always or even usually) the case that third year is worth twice as much as second year (33.3:66.3). However, as your degree is calculated by looking at your best modules across second and third years, and not all modules, I'm not sure if this will be the case.

You need to consult your degree regulations or at least ask in the appropriate university subforum (where current students who know can assist).

I get you now, thanks for the response:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending