The Student Room Group

D1 Mathematics - 23/01/2013

Hey guys :smile:

Didn't see a thread for this, is anyone sitting this ?? :tongue:

If so how are preparations going ? :smile:

I am like 1/3 way through the book!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
D1 is really fun, it's key to show all workings.
There's no skipping steps. Do all papers, and learn all definitions and you'll be fine.
I done it in June, I ended up with 89, I made some simple mistakes which stopped me from getting a higher mark. But make sure you get enough sleep before this exam, you can't afford to misread things.
I'm happy to help anyone if needed.
Reply 2
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Im sitting this in january! :biggrin:

Not bad I've done about 4/5 past papers and been getting an average of around 86%!

A few of the small mark end parts of questions seem very tricky!

Hopefully I'll push my average up to 90%+ in time for the exam!

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by Griyu
D1 is really fun, it's key to show all workings.
There's no skipping steps. Do all papers, and learn all definitions and you'll be fine.
I done it in June, I ended up with 89, I made some simple mistakes which stopped me from getting a higher mark. But make sure you get enough sleep before this exam, you can't afford to misread things.
I'm happy to help anyone if needed.

Ah god, I still have all the algorithms to learn ! :frown: I'm trying to self teach this before my exam in January.
Are you guys in your AS or A2 year ? :smile:
Reply 3
I am doing this exam:smile::smile: !

I love route inspection but when it comes to parts b and c those are the nitty gritty parts
Reply 4
Original post by posthumus
Ah god, I still have all the algorithms to learn ! :frown: I'm trying to self teach this before my exam in January.
Are you guys in your AS or A2 year ? :smile:

A2. I done it last year for further maths. It's always the small questions which are super tough.
Reply 5
Okay I realised I'm being extremely stupid ! I'm going to do some D1 this evening :tongue:

I thought if I started too early, there would be no point as I'd forget the algorithms by the time January came.
Reply 6
Hey, does anyone have ay good tips or know any good websites for route inspection? I'm all good with the chinese postman algorithm, but the actual 'finding the least weight path that uses every arc at least once' is confusing me! I hope this makes sense! Thaaanks :smile:
Reply 7
How long does D1 usually take to self-teach? Is it 'easy' to get 100 UMS? specifically on MEI.
Reply 8
Original post by Law-Hopeful
About self teaching I wouldn't know, but regarding 100 UMS I would say it is most definitively NOT easy to get 100! I've heard that the cut off for 100 UMS has often been 72/72. You'll have to know the ins and outs of everything in the specification to be getting 100 UMS imo, but good luck!

Just quoting stuff off good ol' TSR :cool:
Reply 9
is this edexcel or OCR?
Reply 10
Original post by otrivine
is this edexcel or OCR?

Well the thread is Edexcel :smile:
Reply 11
Well the thread is Edexcel :smile:

Ok good ! so what past papers have you done? what did you get
Reply 12
Ok good ! so what past papers have you done? what did you get

I havn't even been through all the chapters yet :/ :tongue:

I went through chapter 3 & 4 today ... I did 1 & 2 back in October, so I can't remember it :frown:

I have no exams 7 days before my D1 exam, so I hope to do D1 only during then.

Hows it going for you ? :smile:

And how are you finding them in terms of difficulty?
Reply 13
I havn't even been through all the chapters yet :/ :tongue:

I went through chapter 3 & 4 today ... I did 1 & 2 back in October, so I can't remember it :frown:

I have no exams 7 days before my D1 exam, so I hope to do D1 only during then.

Hows it going for you ? :smile:

And how are you finding them in terms of difficulty?

I finished the book , all i need to do is memorize all the definitions and the thing i get confused in route inspection i get all the marks like the 5 marks one but when it comes to parts like if route C is delivered here e.t.c i get those wrong.

do you know how to get a route , sometimes we are asked this and how many nodes should we there should be
Reply 14
I finished the book , all i need to do is memorize all the definitions and the thing i get confused in route inspection i get all the marks like the 5 marks one but when it comes to parts like if route C is delivered here e.t.c i get those wrong.

do you know how to get a route , sometimes we are asked this and how many nodes should we there should be

I'm not sure what you mean by route inspection ? :frown: I'm a complete noob...

Is that when you start at a node & finish at the same node ?

In that case the diagram has to be eulerian meaning each node must have an even number of vertexes ?
Reply 15
I'm not sure what you mean by route inspection ? :frown: I'm a complete noob...

Is that when you start at a node & finish at the same node ?

In that case the diagram has to be eulerian meaning each node must have an even number of vertexes ?

yes
Reply 16
yes

You need the graph to be eulerian, so if there are any odd nodes you have to insert arcs connecting the odd nodes.

You choose the shortest path between odd nodes (there is usually no more than 2 pairs) through inspection, so write down all the possible routes and their weight, then inspect and choose the paths with the shortest weight :smile: Once you have the shortest route, show that you are going to take this path (again) by connecting all your nodes in the path with arcs.

EDIT: Basically the idea is that your going to take a path more than once between odd nodes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
You need the graph to be eulerian, so if there are any odd nodes you have to insert arcs connecting the odd nodes.

You choose the shortest path between odd nodes (there is usually no more than 2 pairs) through inspection, so write down all the possible routes and their weight, then inspect and choose the paths with the shortest weight :smile: Once you have the shortest route, show that you are going to take this path (again) by connecting all your nodes in the path with arcs.

Thank you

and in matchings how do we know which letter is unmatched?
Reply 18
Thank you

and in matchings how do we know which letter is unmatched?

Your very welcome :smile:

& sorry can't help you with that ! :frown: still need to do chapter 5,6 & 7

Do you think its possible for me to cover them in several hours ?

Which is the easiest out of the 3 chapters do you think :smile:
Reply 19
Your very welcome :smile:

& sorry can't help you with that ! :frown: still need to do chapter 5,6 & 7

Do you think its possible for me to cover them in several hours ?

Which is the easiest out of the 3 chapters do you think :smile:

to be honest chapter 5 is easy

chapter 6 is OK but does need like a good solid 2 hours to understand everything
chapter 7 only needs at least 1 hour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending