The Student Room Group

Engine cuts out while driving..

asdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it only when you''re on very low revs? Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body? Couldn't tell you how to do this on a VW but it's usually not too difficult as a DIY job. That'd be my best guess for the problem.
Reply 2
Quite dangerous because you lose you brakes as well.
Reply 3
Original post by russellsteapot
Is it only when you''re on very low revs? Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body? Couldn't tell you how to do this on a VW but it's usually not too difficult as a DIY job. That'd be my best guess for the problem.

Yeah it only seems to happen when I'm off the accelerator and slowing down and below 25mph. I'll check out the throttle body, thanks.

Original post by Camoxide
Quite dangerous because you lose you brakes as well.

Indeed.
Reply 4
You may want to get your battery checked as well, it may not be holding charge, althogh you probably have had problems starting the car if that was the case
Reply 5
Original post by Stormy Seas
Had this problem happen for a while now, but recently it has been happening more frequently, and I am not sure what the problem is.

While driving, particularly when slowing down (at junctions, roundabouts etc) <30mph the engine randomly cuts out and the battery light comes on in the dashboard. I can usually restart the car immediately and continue just by turning the ignition key. However, I lose all power steering in the few seconds the engine is off and steering becomes infinitely harder.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Obvious solution is to get it checked out, but I want to see if it's something I can solve myself first.

I have a VW Golf 1.6 2000

can't you bump it while the car's still moving forward - or won't it idle?

Had similar in the old focus and it was a faulty sender confusing the EMU
Reply 6
could also be a spill control valve... A valve that regulates/stops the fuel from entering he engine from the fuel pump. This is what allows you to stop your engine. It could be blocked some how by bad fuel. Try running some redex or fuel cleaning fluid through the tank and see if this helps
Reply 7
I had same issue with my car last year (although it was an S2K) - and my issue was the MAP sensor required cleaning.
May well worth be investigating.
Reply 8
Vacuum hoses would be the first suspect.
Original post by Stormy Seas
Had this problem happen for a while now, but recently it has been happening more frequently, and I am not sure what the problem is.

While driving, particularly when slowing down (at junctions, roundabouts etc) <30mph the engine randomly cuts out and the battery light comes on in the dashboard. I can usually restart the car immediately and continue just by turning the ignition key. However, I lose all power steering in the few seconds the engine is off and steering becomes infinitely harder.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Obvious solution is to get it checked out, but I want to see if it's something I can solve myself first.

I have a VW Golf 1.6 2000

weird that you should post this, I've had the same problem in the last couple of days, but in a bmw 318i.
Reply 10
Original post by mathperson
weird that you should post this, I've had the same problem in the last couple of days, but in a bmw 318i.

Me too.
It was the rubber nipples on either end of the plastic vac hose between the dizzy and the plenum.

It's the cold weather. Anything made of rubber is likely to become hard and crack. Then you get vac leaks = car idling super lean. So it cuts out.
Doesn't affect the car at part throttle / WOT as the ecu adjusts the mixture to compensate.
Reply 11
Slightly alternative suggestion, but it could be your idle control valve. I had a similar thing on my old ST24, although it only really did it when I put the clutch down as the engine let the revs get too low and stall.

Replaced it, and all was well.
I have an 56 astra and it keeps cutting out when am slowing down to turn or stop and when i start it again the oil and engine management light stays on longer than the others any idea?
Reply 13
Original post by Scottjarvie95
I have an 56 astra and it keeps cutting out when am slowing down to turn or stop and when i start it again the oil and engine management light stays on longer than the others any idea?

This thread is 4 years old lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending