The Student Room Group

Dropping out & other opportunites

Hi,
I started my first year this september at the university of Bath studying computer science. It is now 3 months in and I feel like university is not the thing for me. I just don't enjoy it, both the course and student life in general. I feel like i'm fed up of studying and education and would like to just move into the 'real' world.
So my question is: would dropping out be a good idea and if I was to leave, what other route could I take?
I don't want to spend the next 3-4 years at uni if i'm not enjoying it, however I'm not sure what other opportunites are available out there in terms of a computing related career without a degree - I got pretty good A levels and GCSE results, hence why I was able to get to Bath :smile:. Is a degree needed in order to get a good job nowadays?
Thanks
Original post by Elviii
Hi,
I started my first year this september at the university of Bath studying computer science. It is now 3 months in and I feel like university is not the thing for me. I just don't enjoy it, both the course and student life in general. I feel like i'm fed up of studying and education and would like to just move into the 'real' world.
So my question is: would dropping out be a good idea and if I was to leave, what other route could I take?
I don't want to spend the next 3-4 years at uni if i'm not enjoying it, however I'm not sure what other opportunites are available out there in terms of a computing related career without a degree - I got pretty good A levels and GCSE results, hence why I was able to get to Bath :smile:. Is a degree needed in order to get a good job nowadays?
Thanks

Sorry I could not help but laugh at your post... My simple recommendation is to stay on the course if you really hate it then apply for jobs and only drop out if you find employment.

You don't need a degree to get a good job. In fact your education is pretty meaningless to a lot of jobs you will apply for. However, if computing is your goal then having a degree is pretty important.

We are in a recession at the moment with 2.5 million people unemployed with a youth unemployment at around 20%. Quitting your course will most likely result in you living back at home unable to find work. I have an MSc and I am unable to find work with jobs that perfectly match my skill set not even giving interviews as candidates with greater experience are applying.

My advice is to remain in uni as 'joining the real world' would be a really stupid decision on your part. Best to stay on the course for another 2/3 years and leave uni into a strong job market.
Hm, ....

1) Maybe you just need a gap year?
2) Maybe it is just a more difficult adjustment phase?
3) Maybe you should do an apprenticeship before?
4) What do you want to do later?
5) Just dropping out with the plan not to do anything, but simply work is not allways the best idea and only advisable in some job areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending