The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Quantum Physics Question

Hey all, I'm only posting this as I'm really quite stuck! Once i get started i should be alright, so if anyone can manage that I'd greatly appreciate it! The question is 7c.
hhhh.jpg
Reply 1
Part one is pretty straightforward, just α2|\alpha|^2 if I recall, shouldn't be too difficult for you.

The second part looks like conditional probability, should be something like P(AB)=P(AB)P(B)P(A|B)=\frac{P(A\cap B)}{P(B)}.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
agostino981
x

Hello,
Firstly thank you for the response! Initially I thought it could be just standard probability, but when I emailed the lecturer the other day he said:
"To do this question you need to understand the rules for calculating, (a) the probability of obtaining a given outcome when measuring an observable on a quantum state Psi, (b) the state that the system is left in after a measurement has obtained a particular outcome." Which looks like there's some annoying difference in dealing with Quantum systems as per.

I'll dig through the notes I have and look for something like what you posted though; I recall using the alpha squared coefficient quite frequently in other areas, but I only remember using the last formula in probability classes. I'll post my results in either case haha, thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest