The Student Room Group

'How to argue effectively' course in primary education.

no
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by s.aley
I reckon this should be implemented in primary school. At least a very small fraction of the schedule should be dedicated to this.

Arguing (effectively) is probably the most important life skill. Society constitutes of people, not one person. And every individual is not going to have exactly the same view about everything with everyone. I dare say differences in views are a key reason for violence and hate etc. You can't ignore the fact that everyone is not going to think the same thing about everything, the only way to resolve it is efficient and effective communication, and learning that disagreeing can be (and should be) a viable peaceful option.

So early on they should teach how to argue correctly, i.e about ad hominem / ad populum, improve peoples ability to formulate/be aware/stick to their intentions/purpose for an argument etc etc.

I have a feeling such a small change like this could potentially have a huge change on society. I dare say the functionality of a society is quantified by effectiveness of arguing.

Do you agree or disagree? Please comment.

That would seem like quite a high attainment level - why not stick it into secondary schools where there's more chance of pupils understanding it?
Reply 2
There is a subject at college called critical thinking which most people who do it believe to be a doss. I don't think it can be taught effectively in school. I say stick to maths and english, which teaches arguments and conclusions indirectly.
Reply 3
Original post by s.aley
Thats very true but i reckon learning to argue could be way more efficient, without sacrificing a huge amount of time for the rest of the curriculum.
No I disagree. The increase in the ability to argue effectively should come naturally as you become better in the core subjects. You ask questions and prove them via experiments in science. You discuss meanings and conveyances. In maths you take premises and prove them and interpret things logically. All this should eventually transcend into verbal arguments.
I wish it was when I was at primary school. I'm terrible at arguing- I always end up arguing the wrong point or something stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending