The Student Room Group

IB/Consulting in London for non-EU HEC MiM student

Hello all,

I've been admitted to the HEC Paris Grande Ecole MiM 2013 intake. While I'm excited about the program and HEC, I have a few concerns over job prospects for a non-EU student in Europe. I will pick up French for sure but I am not very optimistic about getting an IB job in Paris without speaking fluent French. Right now it seems logical to me to go to HEC and try to get an internship during the gap year in London high finance/consulting so that I have a better chance of getting a full time job there after graduation.

My concern is, is it common for non-EU students studying in continental Europe (especially at schools such as HSG/HEC/Bocconi) to get IB/consulting jobs in London? Are labor/immigration laws in the UK and Europe something to be very worried about? By IB/consulting jobs I mean graduate programs at large IBs or MBB consulting. I've looked around online and found that overall it's rather difficult for a non-EU student to get a job+work permit in UK/Europe but what about the high finance sector?

I've posted in the University forum but thought that I might get lots of useful info here too.
Would really appreciate your advice and insights! Big thanks in advance!
Original post by lpxman
Hello all,

I've been admitted to the HEC Paris Grande Ecole MiM 2013 intake. While I'm excited about the program and HEC, I have a few concerns over job prospects for a non-EU student in Europe. I will pick up French for sure but I am not very optimistic about getting an IB job in Paris without speaking fluent French. Right now it seems logical to me to go to HEC and try to get an internship during the gap year in London high finance/consulting so that I have a better chance of getting a full time job there after graduation.

My concern is, is it common for non-EU students studying in continental Europe (especially at schools such as HSG/HEC/Bocconi) to get IB/consulting jobs in London? Are labor/immigration laws in the UK and Europe something to be very worried about? By IB/consulting jobs I mean graduate programs at large IBs or MBB consulting. I've looked around online and found that overall it's rather difficult for a non-EU student to get a job+work permit in UK/Europe but what about the high finance sector?

I've posted in the University forum but thought that I might get lots of useful info here too.

I am not sure what you mean by high finance..
Reply 2
Original post by lpxman
Hello all,

It will be hard to get the jobs in Paris without speaking fluent French but jobs in London shouldn't be an issue.

HEC places very well for summer internships in London so I wouldnt be worried
Reply 3
Original post by Londonburger
I am not sure what you mean by high finance..

I think it's an American term for big-money IB/PE/HF...
Reply 4
Original post by Frenchous
It will be hard to get the jobs in Paris without speaking fluent French but jobs in London shouldn't be an issue.

HEC places very well for summer internships in London so I wouldnt be worried

thank you! and do you know whether the non-EU status could seriously hinder my internship prospects?

From what I've read, non-EU status by itself doesn't affect chances of getting BB internships, but could anyone who has interned in IBD/S&T at a BB confirm/reject my hypothesis? Do you see many people from outside the EU (especially from Asia) in your summer intern class?
Reply 5
Original post by lpxman
thank you! and do you know whether the non-EU status could seriously hinder my internship prospects?

From what I've read, non-EU status by itself doesn't affect chances of getting BB internships, but could anyone who has interned in IBD/S&T at a BB confirm/reject my hypothesis? Do you see many people from outside the EU (especially from Asia) in your summer intern class?

Visa and work permits wise, certainly not the best time in the UK.

You do see quite a few non-EU people (including from Asia) in Summer Analyst classes but they are usually studying in the UK and hence, only require work visa upon graduation for full-time which is easier to get (UK Student Visa lets you work full-time during the holidays whilst enrolled in university).

I don't know how many firms would be willing to sponsor an intern's work visa given the time and effort to do it just for an 8-10 week internship.
Original post by lpxman
I think it's an American term for big-money IB/PE/HF...

OK, as long as you are targeting BB, I wouldn't be much concerned about the visa issue. However, I would also advise that it should be easier to get an internship in Paris, as French IBs tend to offer more structured/unstructured internships.
Reply 7
@Clara: thank you! I'm only targeting BB or MM IBs and big consulting firms, do you know if they would have problem sponsoring internship visa?

@Londonburger: exactly what I hope (but need to be validated), thank you! I know that BNP has several off-cycle and long term internships based in London that are designed for students studying in France. From what I've seen on here, other banks have similar long-term internships (am I right?). I definitely will try to get relevant internships in Paris as well as in London, and I believe HEC can open quite a few doors. I just want to validate that belief with opinions from people. And may I ask if you have personally seen people from HEC cutting it in London? Thanks again!
Reply 8
Original post by lpxman
@Clara: thank you! I'm only targeting BB or MM IBs and big consulting firms, do you know if they would have problem sponsoring internship visa?

@Londonburger: exactly what I hope (but need to be validated), thank you! I know that BNP has several off-cycle and long term internships based in London that are designed for students studying in France. From what I've seen on here, other banks have similar long-term internships (am I right?). I definitely will try to get relevant internships in Paris as well as in London, and I believe HEC can open quite a few doors. I just want to validate that belief with opinions from people. And may I ask if you have personally seen people from HEC cutting it in London? Thanks again!

A lot really. They place just as well as the best UK unis. About your visa issue I would think that they have standard procedures in place at big investment banks and so that would not be an issue but I cant say for sure. I remember I saw an Asian from HEC at an interview which probably means the banks was ready to sort out his visa etc should he get an offer which he didnt in the end.
Reply 9
Original post by Frenchous
A lot really. They place just as well as the best UK unis. About your visa issue I would think that they have standard procedures in place at big investment banks and so that would not be an issue but I cant say for sure. I remember I saw an Asian from HEC at an interview which probably means the banks was ready to sort out his visa etc should he get an offer which he didnt in the end.

that's very good to hear! thanks a lot mate!
Reply 10
Original post by lpxman
Hello all,

If you do an internship with one of the french or continental banks (e.g. commerzbank, Unicredit etc) you should have a decent shot at getting a shot in the door (assuming you don't have experience). You probably gotta do a 1 year intenrship as part of the programme anyway, right?

Original post by Londonburger
OK, as long as you are targeting BB, I wouldn't be much concerned about the visa issue. However, I would also advise that it should be easier to get an internship in Paris, as French IBs tend to offer more structured/unstructured internships.

Why only BBs?

Hardly any bank or boutique will turn you down because of a work visa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending