The Student Room Group

called in sick today

hey all,

I caught a cold as it seems everyone around me is ill, so I called in sick at 7:40am this morning. However, my manager never asked me what I had. She just said 'ok' and hung up the phone. Somehow I feel like she does not believe me, but given that I am still in my 3 months probationary period, this could have repercussions on my contract, right?
Reply 1
Maybe because there is a cold going around she assumed that's why you were sick. Maybe other people you work with are also off sick. Maybe she was very busy and couldn't keep talking to you. I wouldn't worry about it right now, I'd wait and see if anything comes of it later.
Do you work in a supermarket? Yeah this happened to me before and I thought the same thing but it turned out loads of people were off sick, so I think she was just fed up answering the phone asking the same thing.
Reply 3
Original post by itzme
hey all,

I caught a cold as it seems everyone around me is ill, so I called in sick at 7:40am this morning. However, my manager never asked me what I had. She just said 'ok' and hung up the phone. Somehow I feel like she does not believe me, but given that I am still in my 3 months probationary period, this could have repercussions on my contract, right?

The very strict manager will sack you since you have no employment rights yet.

The strict manager will give you a verbal warning for poor attendance.

The more relaxed manager will be annoyed, but won't do anything providing you make up for the time later on, and work more overtime once in a while.

The friendly manager will show compassion and completely agree you should stay off work just because you have a cold.

I've been to work even when I have the flu. It's not a good enough excuse to call in sick when you're working in a supermarket where you're easily replaceable, and you haven't worked over 2 years to get employment rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending