The Student Room Group

English A-Level?

(edited 7 years ago)
Take English Lit:smile: there's no speaking in it but I'm not sure about the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
English literature is the most traditional of the three English courses on offer at A level and the only one that is universally accepted as being a respected A level. Lang / lit combined and English language tend to be less respected by the top universities. I do both English Literature and English language. Although English language is a less well respected subject than English literature, it is very useful for degrees in English language, journalism etc, and it teaches you all about grammer which is always good to know about! If you know what subject you want to study at university, or which universities you would like to go to, let this guide your choices. :smile:
None of them have any oral exams.
Reply 4
I'm currently studying AS English Lit, and so far I have been given 4 books to read and annotate, 2 of them being plays/scripts. We're also looking at poetry (which I highly dislike)!
I was hoping that Eng Lit would also cover some creative writing, but apparently it doesn't. :frown:
I suggest you choose Eng Lit only if you are an active reader, and enjoy reading; otherwise it will be a distressing year for you!
It depends on what you like, cos Lit is literally just poems/text analysis, so if you find that stuff boring, you will hate a level eng lit. Furthermore, you're expected to analyse your texts on your own and have your own controlled assessments etc instead of the teacher leading you through and you all being given one question. Although, your teacher will support you a lot, you'll get the most out of it if you;re independent.

I loved both lit nd lang @ gcse and would take them both if i could have, but if you have loads of other subjects you want to do, take lit. Unis view it like a million times better. Lang at a -level is more 'information' based? Like my friends study language development, the perception of lang in the media, analyse newspaper articles etc. So if you're into linguisitics then maybe, but it's more analytical and relates more to people's perception, and perceptions of society than purely just lang analysis.

I you're hard pressed then pick the combined course, but that does not go into enough detail for an enlgish degree.

There aren't any orals, but in my school you have to present to the class etc. :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm doing English Literature. I'm really enjoying but there's a heck of a lot to read! We finished reading Wuthering Heights and Hamlet and we have to start on the Colour Purple, The Duchess of Malfi and the poems yet. There's a lot of annotating! The books vary though, it depends on what set etc.
I don't know about lang or the combined a level sorry :colondollar:
If you enjoyed it at GCSE, then go ahead :smile:
Why not take both and drop whichever you don't like? :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending