The Student Room Group

Any idea where to go?

I want to do Software Engineering at university but honestly, I don't really know what my best options are :smile:

I think my biggest problems are that I'm probably going to fail maths (I'm not going to take it in the second year though) which is obviously pretty computery and I'm goign to switch colleges at the end of this year, but I might want to redo the year as I'd rather do physics than biology (It's more relevant?) but it's a couple of weeks away from the first exams so it's much too late now. :/
I also don't have any proper work experience - I'd done school work experience and I've spent a week helping a relative on a stall but I haven't managed to find paid work yet. Will that go against me a lot?

I've emailed my top two universities about it though, and they said that it wouldn't matter if I failed maths or redid a year as long as I got the entry requirements. Would that still make it really hard for me to compete with others though?

I've only got it down to 3 unis so far (I think I need to submit 4 or 5?).

Nottingham - The best one that I could go to without getting an A level in maths. It wants AAB, including an A in a science (Computing or maths preferred)

Newcastle - Still decent looking and in the russell group, but with lower requirements. It wants (according to it's website) AAB/ABB/AAC including a B in GCSE maths (I have that).

Bradford - Wants I think 260 UCAS points, a backup in case I don't get into the first two.

When I left college for the christmas holidays I was on an A in computing, a B in Psychology, an E in biology and a U in maths.
However, I have biology and psychology exams in january (9th/10th) and after doing more revision and a few past papers for biology, i'm getting As in them, because I had the knowledge but wasn't answering the questions right. Psychology I haven't yet started doing papers for but I intend to do them very soon.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to pull off AAB grades but one of my biggest worries is that I've heard you get into Uni based on predicted grades. Due to failing 2 of my GCSES (Unrelated; art and french) and hitting Bs and As with the others (I have to admit I didn't study nearly as hard for GCSE as I should have, nowhere near what I'm doing now), my predicted grades for college are C/D in everything. I heard from a friend that they'll just replace my predicted grades with what I get for AS but she isn't in Uni yet so I'm not sure. Is this true?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but does anybody have any advice on the college situation - do I stay with my current college (supposedly the best in the area, though everyone I know is doing rather badly) or switch to the other (same entry requirements but a 6th form with much smaller class sizes, where everyone I know is doing much better)? There's also the advantage that I could switch biology to physics and possibly improve on maths to not have as bad a AS grade with a fresh start.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending