The Student Room Group

Should I get the Nexplanon implant?

I have an appointment to get the Nexplanon implant put in next week. However I made the appointment without researching anything about the implant, I just thought it would solve the problem of remembering to take the pill. Now I have done some internet research and so far there have been only a handful of good reviews and plenty of bad and some extreme reviews (some poor guy broke up with his girlfriend of 7 years because she changed so much :eek: ) In some cases the women became 'baby brained' and apparently it affected their memory, given that I have a university interview the day after and exams coming up this sort of freaked me out as well. The side effect of weight gain, sore breasts and more acne also put me off and the insertion and removal itself it pretty scary. So I was wondering what your experience is and is it worth at least trying it? I'm on the pill at the moment (monogynon 30), would it be better to just stick to that?
I will be grateful for any replies as I am sort of freaking out at the moment.
Reply 1
People are more inclined to write negative things. Statistics for customer service jobs are that if a customer has a good experience they might tell a few people, but with a bad experience they'll tell loads. Medicine will be similar - "got implant, nothing happened" is boring.

And when things do happen, people look for causes and decide it must be that. So anything then becomes a side effect. Have an itchy nose? Must be caused by the implant!

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 2
Original post by BaraLlama
I have an appointment to get the Nexplanon implant put in next week. However I made the appointment without researching anything about the implant, I just thought it would solve the problem of remembering to take the pill. Now I have done some internet research and so far there have been only a handful of good reviews and plenty of bad and some extreme reviews (some poor guy broke up with his girlfriend of 7 years because she changed so much :eek: ) In some cases the women became 'baby brained' and apparently it affected their memory, given that I have a university interview the day after and exams coming up this sort of freaked me out as well. The side effect of weight gain, sore breasts and more acne also put me off and the insertion and removal itself it pretty scary. So I was wondering what your experience is and is it worth at least trying it? I'm on the pill at the moment (monogynon 30), would it be better to just stick to that?

I've been on Nexplanon for a year and a half now.
Can't say its been too bad actually.
My periods stopped which was actually a blessing as mine used to make me pass out :frown:
I won't lie, i have gained a little weight but its barely noticeable. Just look "fuller".
Boob growth - onky slightly, say half a cupsize?
(Not that i mind ha). Babybrained? I woukdnt say that... broody is more my case.
Feels a bit weird after insertion but other than that... its been good :smile:
Try not to worry, reviews scared the hell outta me but truth is everyone is different. Give it a go, if you dont like it, get it removed simple ^^

Hope i helped x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I really wouldn't get it fitted the day before an interview - had my implant changed from implanon to nexplanon yesterday and its still hurting like hell - if I had anything to do today i would have had to cancel it, I cant drive because my left arm hurts so much and I couldn't even lift the milk out of the fridge door with it so yea.. I'd reschedule.

On another note I had my implanon for 3 years and didn't really have any issues with it - thats the thing you see, you'll see plenty of internet reviews moaning because it something just does what it says on the tin, people don't tend to rave about it.
Reply 4

i've had the nexplanon implant for over a year now and i've have no horror stories, i haven't put on weight or gotten spotty or moody. My periods did get a bit hectic but that was easily sorted by a course of microgynon. I think its great. It's worth a try, every medicine you'll take will have caused someone a horrible side effect, everyones different.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've had the implant for over 3 years now (had my new one put in during November).

I'm not going to lie, I had some pretty bad side effects during the first 3-6 months but after that I was fine. It even stopped my periods for 10 months (best 10 months of my life!). I'm crap at taking the pill and this solves the problem, although I've started taking the pill again to regulate when I have my periods (when I have them at all, they seem to have disappeared again recently).

A lot of the horror stories are exaggerations. The implant's had a lot of stigma attached to it because it's pretty new compared to other types of contraception and people are still cautious of it.

I would say to re-schedule your appointment if you have an interview tomorrow though. Mainly because initial headaches/queasiness can be common when it's first inserted and you want to be on best form for your interview! Note that most types of contraception can have initial side effects so this shouldn't deter you from getting the implant. Just ask to have your appointment moved to a later date; as long as you call in over 24 (or 48?) hours in advance they'll be fine with it.
Reply 6
Thank you for all the comments :smile: I spoke to my doctor about my worries about the side effects and she was very positive about it. In the end we agreed it would be the best for me to stick to microgynon for one more month as that's what I'm used to, just to get me through my exams and once that pack has finished I will switch to the mini pill with the same hormone as the implant. The doctor said she usually recommends that to most of her patients just so they can see what side effects they might have and whether the implant would be a good choice. She was very nice and even had the implant herself! So for now I don't have to worry about the implant and I can think about it again in few months time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest