The Student Room Group

The 'WOOHOO, I got into medical school' 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maryam A
So, I take it we have to wait until we hear back from all our unis before we start replying?

Has anyone received an offer from their first choice? If so, then I guess you're not really fussed about the other decisions as much :tongue:

Are most of you expecting more offers, shocked at getting an offer and now recovered from the mental breakdow (like me :tongue:) or do you think you may get more offers but not sure
Also, is anyone here throwing parties/got present

Nope you can withdraw if you want to firm. I've recieved an offer from my first choice but I'm going to wait so i can make a more informed decision when the time comes to firm by going on post offer open days. although I don't expect any more offers still shocked from the first. My friend got a macbook when she got an offer, when I got two offers my parents took me out for a 2for£10 meal, slightly bitter :P
(edited 11 years ago)
So, I take it we have to wait until we hear back from all our unis before we start replying?

Has anyone received an offer from their first choice? If so, then I guess you're not really fussed about the other decisions as much :tongue:

Are most of you expecting more offers, shocked at getting an offer and now recovered from the mental breakdown (like me :tongue:) or do you think you may get more offers but not sure?

Also, is anyone here throwing parties/got presents, etc? :smile:

Don't have to wait :smile:

I've cancelled my interview at and withdrawn from Leicester as I had only really applied as I was almost guaranteed an interview. I'm thinking about doing the same for Newcastle because, although I liked it, St Andrews and Dundee were always my top two choices and I have an unconditional from Dundee.
Before firming anything I will wait for St Andrews to reply to me and perhaps nip up to Scotland again to be doubly sure.

As for when I got my offer, I just went out for a meal with my parents. No expensive presents but they've said they'll buy my a laptop etc for my birthday :smile:

I think mum might have bought a cake for us to have at dinner? No meals out like the others here though :tongue:
Reply 23

I got norovirus after getting an unconditional from Sheffield :P
Original post by sydney07
I got norovirus after getting an unconditional from Sheffield :P

At least you had something to pull you through :P Are you firming? I actually felt physically sick when I got my King's offer actually, not as bad as you would have done but it took me a while to get myself together again.
Reply 25
Original post by Hippokrates
At least you had something to pull you through :P Are you firming? I actually felt physically sick when I got my King's offer actually, not as bad as you would have done but it took me a while to get myself together again.

Haha true:smile: I should be firming, it's my first choice, but I'm keeping my options open until we can start arranging Sheffield accommodation :smile:
Congrats on your offer! You firming kings? I'm glad you're all together now :P I don't blame you for feeling like that, I was over the moon :smile:
Reply 26
Haha true:smile: I should be firming, it's my first choice, but I'm keeping my options open until we can start arranging Sheffield accommodation :smile:
Congrats on your offer! You firming kings? I'm glad you're all together now :P I don't blame you for feeling like that, I was over the moon :smile:

Have you joined the offer holders group? Who you are if you have :P
Reply 27
Original post by savage903
Have you joined the offer holders group? Who you are if you have :P

On Facebook? :smile:
Reply 28
Well done for the offers! How does everyone feel? :smile:
For like the first 15 minutes, I was jumping up and down in joy, but now it still hasn't hit me that I got in.

It doesn't seem to have sunk in yet, I feel I should be happier somewhat! Were you expecting it this early? I definitely wasn't, as I was expecting replies around february, so it came as a surprise (as a result of me checking track every 5 seconds :tongue:)

I know exactly what you mean I keep telling myself I shoudl be happier but I'm just numb its so shocking I got an email then a track update didn't tell anyone for a good few hours because I was wrapping my head around it still
Reply 29

Are most of you expecting more offers, shocked at getting an offer and now recovered from the mental breakdown (like me :tongue:) or do you think you may get more offers but not sure?

I'm waiting to find out if I get an offer from my other 2 choices as My first choice only just started handing out interviews. I didn't get anything for getting an offer other than a Hug lol but tbh I didn't expect of need anything
Wow, you must all be over the moon! I'm not applying this year, but I'm hoping to study medicine. To those who received an unconditional from Dundee, what were your grades/workexp/volunteering/extracurricular/ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by anthonyfl
Wow, you must all be over the moon! I'm not applying this year, but I'm hoping to study medicine. To those who received an unconditional from Dundee, what were your grades/workexp/volunteering/extracurricular/ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highers - AAAAA
UKCAT - 740 average

EC/Voluntary work/w/e:

Netball and basketball school teams
Vice House Captain in school
Charities group
First aider at St Andrew's First Aid
Debating at school
In-Class support (S6)
Paired reading (S6)
Lunchtime club at school for autistic pupils/pupils with some social difficulties
work at religious weekend school (for 3 yrs)
Work at elderly people's home (care home) - 8 months now
young enterprise - managing director (S5)
Prefect
volunteer at 2 charity shops once a week - about a year now
1 week at GP
2 days in paediatrics
2 days in cardiology
3 days in radiology
another day at another GP

I hardly mentioned half of my ECs in interviews. If you're under limitations, choose the most beneficial experiences. Make sure you don't overwork yourself at the expense of getting good grades/ukcat. Dundee interview on the basis of academics (60%) and UKCAT (40%) for school leavers.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
When I got an offer, my family and I just had a little celebration at home :tongue: However, my parents are helping me organise a party after my exams next month. But, yeah, I wouldn't mind if I didn't get anything. Wow, the feeling of success and jubilation is just amazing :biggrin:

I never knew you could withdraw from your other choices if you have got an offer at your first choice. To be honest, I think I am just going to wait to receive replies from the other unis and then decide what to do from there.
When I got an offer, my family and I just had a little celebration at home :tongue: However, my parents are helping me organise a party after my exams next month. But, yeah, I wouldn't mind if I didn't get anything. Wow, the feeling of success and jubilation is just amazing :biggrin:

I never knew you could withdraw from your other choices if you have got an offer at your first choice. To be honest, I think I am just going to wait to receive replies from the other unis and then decide what to do from there.

Me too, if I get any more offers I might as well have a good look round the med schools because I could always change my mind. :smile: You might as well consider all the options.
Reply 34
Original post by Hippokrates
Me too, if I get any more offers I might as well have a good look round the med schools because I could always change my mind. :smile: You might as well consider all the options.

Yeah, exactly :smile:
Reply 35
On Facebook? :smile:

Yes, would be good to know who my future med school buddy is
Reply 36
Woo! Joining this thread! :biggrin:

Got conditional offers from leicester and manchester, and interviews at newcastle and exeter!!

I'm not firming yet, waiting for rejection/offer from exeter. I was going to withdraw from my newcastle one because i haven't had that interview yet, but i changed my mind as i want to keep all my options open!

Congrats to everyone! :biggrin: Oh, for my leicester one my mum made me my favourite cake, and for my manchester one she bought me my favourite ice cream! :tongue: (can you tell i like food? :wink:)
Reply 37
joining too ! :biggrin:
I'm from Poland ^^ so any offer is for my like the biggest surprise ever. I've applied to Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds and Dundee and I'm going to Scotland this Tuesday for the MMIs interview, my first one as I got rejected by Sheffield and still waiting for the other two. (replies not rejections :biggrin:) any tips on how to prepare ? I hope it will be not only stress but stress and fun ^^
Original post by mirthful
joining too ! :biggrin:
I'm from Poland ^^ so any offer is for my like the biggest surprise ever. I've applied to Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds and Dundee and I'm going to Scotland this Tuesday for the MMIs interview, my first one as I got rejected by Sheffield and still waiting for the other two. (replies not rejections :biggrin:) any tips on how to prepare ? I hope it will be not only stress but stress and fun ^^

Just don't waffle you don't have much time at the stations so be concise, don't worry though interviewers are generally friendly people :smile:
Original post by anthonyfl
To those who received an unconditional from Dundee, what were your grades/workexp/volunteering/extracurricular/ukcat?

- GCSEs - 7A*, 3A
- A-Levels - A*A*A (achieved)
- UKCAT - 715 avg.

Work exp. / volunteering etc
- 1 week shadowing consultant cardiologist
- 1 week shadowing consultant cardiac surgeon
- Advanced First Aider with St John Ambulance (2 years)
- Helper at Brownies (1 year)
- Maths mentor at school (2 years)
- "Lead Student" at school (2 years)
- Currently working full-time in a care home (since September)
- Fundraising for my trip to Kenya
- Hobbies include football and photography, but have taken neither further than being "just" a hobby

I thought the selection process for Dundee undergrads was 60% academics and 40% UKCAT? I'm sure at the open day they mentioned they don't look at the PS until interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending