The Student Room Group

Biology Unit 4 Edexcel SNAB January 2013 Exam

Thought I'd add a thread as I couldn't find any existing ones.

How is everyone's revision going?

Any predictions for this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Currently sh*tting myself. It's like no matter how hard I it becomes a game of "Try and guess what's on the mark scheme" I honestly don't know what they're asking half the time. Hoping for lots of describe the graph and tick the correct box questions so I at least get a C :tongue:

How are you feeling about it?
Hate this unit. Ecology, GW, and forensics = not cool.

Immunology > the rest.

Hate the questions too and i'm so unmotivated too, not working hard enough.

So yeah, overall, dreading it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Haha same! I hate the 'suggest' questions- if the question isn't mentioned in the text book then don't ask me about it!

And yeah so unmotivated to revise as well, but I'm scared most of the content is going to come up as there was barely any biology in the June 2012 paper :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Not looking forward to this exam, literally don't know what to revise..half the questions are unrealted to the spec i swear!
Spending my afternoon revising HIV, T and B cells :frown:

How did everyone do at AS?
Reply 5
Original post by NESS1234
Not looking forward to this exam, literally don't know what to revise..half the questions are unrealted to the spec i swear!

I can completely empathise with you... got an A at AS but this paper is just ughhhh.
I'm suffering with the command question words like 'why' and 'explain'... the mark scheme really doesn't answer some of these questions based on what they ask... it's really inconsistent. I am dreading the paper...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NESS1234

I know, this exam is so frustrating. Pretty sure half the stuff they include in mark schemes no one would even think of writing..I did great at AS but unfortunately I'm scared I'm gonna drop a grade or two because the mark scheme is horrendous :frown:
Reply 7
Is it bad that ive just been learning the revision guide and the answers they have used in previous markschemes? not sure if this is a good idea... for GCSE thats what i did and ended up qith 100% in bio. But for AS I litterally learnt the textbook word for word (i have that sorta memory dont ask) and scraped a B but need an A to get into uni
Reply 8
Hey guys,

Not gonna lie, im dreading this exam too!

Just a quick question - is peptidyl transferase an enzyme that simply causes the formation of peptide bonds in translation (protein synthesis).

I'd never heard it before and its just popped up in the mark scheme!

Good luck, im sure you'll all do great :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mattsav
Hey guys,

Not gonna lie, im dreading this exam too!

Just a quick question - is peptidyl transferase an enzyme that simply causes the formation of peptide bonds in translation (protein synthesis).

I'd never heard it before and its just popped up in the mark scheme!

Good luck, im sure you'll all do great :smile:

That's true.
I was surprised when I read it in the markscheme for the first time as well. :^_^:
Reply 10
I'm so dreading this exam ! so much content to learn but its so annoying how in the exams its actually so little on the content and the mark schemes make its so hard to get any marks.
Reply 11
Absolutely dreading this exam! I'm the same as you guys in that I just can't seem to motivate myself to work.

I think I'm good with photosynthesis, thank god, but I'm having trouble with the ecology stuff. It's boring to learn and the questions they set for it are ridiculous, none of the points on the mark scheme seem to cover anything I would write!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Good luck everybody! The way that I'm revising is getting flash cards and writing down the questions from past papers on them and putting the answers on the back from the mark scheme, and then learning it so that I can remember which type of words/phrases need to be used for similar questions in the exam!
Reply 13
Original post by cwood166
Good luck everybody! The way that I'm revising is getting flash cards and writing down the questions from past papers on them and putting the answers on the back from the mark scheme, and then learning it so that I can remember which type of words/phrases need to be used for similar questions in the exam!

If you do it online could you please post it?
Reply 14
Original post by shumen9523
That's true.
I was surprised when I read it in the markscheme for the first time as well. :^_^:

I know I'd never heard it before!
And thanks :smile:
Reply 15
I found some more practice questions on another thread if anyone has finished all the available past papers. I didn't collect them myself but thought they might be of use to some of you! (thanks to whoever posted them :smile:)

Questions:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmq7ds7clfmkfgm

Mark scheme:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?i2aiyp4pb4koi0e
Reply 16
Original post by Tessy
I found some more practice questions on another thread if anyone has finished all the available past papers. I didn't collect them myself but thought they might be of use to some of you! (thanks to whoever posted them :smile:)

Questions:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmq7ds7clfmkfgm

Mark scheme:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?i2aiyp4pb4koi0e

Thanks a lot, absolute gem of a find :wink:
http://studentforums.biz/index.php?topic=6540.0

Found these notes on another thread. Don't know how helpful they'll be but they seem ok :smile:
As you all know, the exam will be on this Friday the 11th of January. The Student Room has a strict policy with Edexcel exam discussion, and so you will not be able to discuss the exam on here between 1:30pm on the day of the exam, until 4:30am the following morning. I will close this thread and label it as "no discussion" until the elapsed time has passed, please do not make any other threads attempting to discuss the exam, and please read the announcement in the Study Help forum.

Best of luck with your exams and thank you for your cooperation! :h:
Reply 19
Original post by Dhaden
Thanks a lot, absolute gem of a find :wink:

:smile: I need to stop spending my time trying to find things to revise from rather than actually revising... How's your revision going?

Quick Reply

Latest