The Student Room Group

what's the saddest book you have read?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern. I have the Book Thief so I'll read that soon! I was going to read the Kite Runner but it's one of the texts for AS English Lit and my friends have been reading out some disturbing scenes from it so it's sort of put me off it :s-smilie: I really need to read Never Let Me Go now... looks like I'll be having a trip to the library tomorrow :P
'before I die'/'now is good' by jenny downham
'love aubrey' by suzanne lafleur
and also the naughts and crosses books...though not the last one particularly:smile:
The Chosen - Chaim Potok
Reply 63
Original post by Tyraell
The book is so much better than the film! Also, lots of his other stuff is quite enjoyable.

Andrew garfield though, hi there.
Reply 64
Demon Thief by Darren Shan had me feeling empty for a couple of days.
Reply 65
Original post by Pinkhead
Demon Thief by Darren Shan had me feeling empty for a couple of days.

I found the darren shan books more frightening than sad... but its a really good book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Noughts and Crosses is the only book that's made me cry, but it's 'young fiction' so not sure if it's the kind of thing you'll be after.

The Fault in our Stars - John Green is definitely worth a read.
Casper the commuting cat
Ive just finished reading it. The beginning part isnt really sad, but towards the end it is.
Original post by Emma:-)
Casper the commuting cat
Ive just finished reading it. The beginning part isnt really sad, but towards the end it is.

A bit ironic that you have a cat as your avatar! :tongue:
Reply 69
saddest story ever...even more so because it's true: A Boy Called It.

I actually cried.
Original post by Allison.

I actually cried.

That book was just plain horrific.

In terms of sad books the ones that spring to mind are Middlesex and The Virgin Suicides, 1984, The Casual Vacancy, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Trial, Of Mice and Men and The Book Thief.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them.
The first half of A Town Like Alice was pretty horrific.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is also horrific.

Black Beauty is the worst.
Original post by lonelybrummie
A bit ironic that you have a cat as your avatar! :tongue:

Yeah, im a bit of a car fan, lol
None of them are particularly sad, but if you're into a good thriller, then read Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. I can't put them down and they've stopped me studying on many occasions!
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, its a beautiful book. And pick up any books by Cathy Glass, they are all based on true stories :smile:
Original post by Allison.

I actually cried.

I read this too, It gave me nightmares - and almost left me feeling ill! You have sad....but this takes it to another level :frown: but when reading about him, he got through it and became pretty successful in later life!

I think I started to read a book about Judy westwaters life (cant remember the name) and found this one soo bad i couldn't finish it :frown: - dont get me wrong, everyone enjoys a sad story now and then but this was too much for me!
my sisters keeper - the ending is so unexpected and should have been kept this way in the film
ps i love you - cry everytime at both the book and film
cathy glass books (shes a foster carer and tells the stories of children shes looked after.)

sure I'll think of more.
Tuesdays with Morrie is sad

The fact it's based on a true story, and that old man was so strong, so receptive of everyone and so, so wise.
A Darkling Plain from my younger years.

Recently, Things Fall Apart isn't much of a picnic.
Reply 79
In order:

Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver
The Last Battle, CS Lewis
The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
13 Reasons Why, Jay Asher
Delirium, Lauren Oliver
Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult