The Student Room Group

Being a slave to your phone...

First, apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum...! I wasn't quite sure if it could fit in here or not...!

Is anyone a bit like me and hates it when you find yourself checking your phone constantly? I hate it when I do that, especially when I'm looking out for a text from a guy or something, *sigh*... I also get frustrated sometimes when people stop replying. Fair enough if it's something like an email, but when it's by phone, I feel like an idiot just waiting for a response...

Sometimes, I hide my phone out of sight and only check it when I get up and before bed. There's something a bit satisfying about being free from my phone and not having to worry about whether I've got a text, etc. I also like to be surprised when I find that I have a text before bed... Equally, I'm disappointed when I find that I have none... Yeah, that's a bit weird, isn't it...

So basically, I hate being a slave to my phone and was wondering if anyone is a bit like me, perhaps...

Scroll to see replies

You aren't alone....I need to stop doing this too, it's worse during the holidays than at uni. With uni I find it the opposite tbh, I get annoyed when my phone's buzzing, probably cos I'm doing more at uni than at home where I get bored easily.
Reply 2
Original post by SirRamAlot
You aren't alone....I need to stop doing this too, it's worse during the holidays than at uni. With uni I find it the opposite tbh, I get annoyed when my phone's buzzing, probably cos I'm doing more at uni than at home where I get bored easily.

You're back.
I am the ruler of my phone - I don't check it every 2 seconds.
Well I always keep my phone on silent, literally always I never take it off a lot of people get annoyed when i don't answer (and you can imagine the number of emergencies i missed) but I still don't care I hate the any phone's ring tone i find it the most distracting thing ever. I just look at my phone randomly if i walk past it but that's it, I really think it's the best thing ever staying away from the phone.
Reply 4
For me, leaving my phone on silent just makes me want to check it more. If I put it on vibrate, then I can definitely hear that I've got a message... And on my old phone, I could easily see if I had a message but on my old one, you have to press a button first, which adds to the tension...! Ha ha...
Original post by tehforum
You're back.
I am the ruler of my phone - I don't check it every 2 seconds.

Yeah buddy, good to see you're still about too. I've missed trollin around this place
Reply 6
Similar to 'kiss my asthma' my phone lives on silent essentially and for some reason I don't really feel the vibrations well through my pocket. Sure I'll make sure to check it frequently but not if I got something else I could be doing like work or lectures to be concentrating on. One of my pet peeves is whenever i'm at a social gathering - there's always that guy texting away in the corner or glancing at his phone every minute.
Reply 7
I'm not a slave to my phone but I feel sorry for those that are. I always see girls constantly glued to their mobile like its the most precious thing in the world.

I think this photos applicable:
http://imgur.com/47ZLW
Reply 8
I feel the same, yet I use mine a fair amount. Sometimes when I go away I'm not able to use my phone at all as where I go with my parents there is no signal, which is nice for a while as you can live in peace. However, after a while I just feel like I'm missing out on stuff :tongue: so it can go both ways..
Reply 9
I definitely am, most of the times it's just checking websites,playing games on it etc though. I get anxious if I don't have it, constantly texting etc. I need to stop!
Original post by rjm101
I'm not a slave to my phone but I feel sorry for those that are. I always see girls constantly glued to their mobile like its the most precious thing in the world.

I think this photos applicable:
http://imgur.com/47ZLW

Has it occured to you that she might be texting for help?
Reply 11
Are you really that concerned about whether you have received a text or not? Who gives a ****? It shouldn't dictate your life.

I personally don't take part in this 'long text convo' **** - I text my mates when I need to, or maybe send the occasional banterous message, and once I've sorted matters out, I stop texting because there's no need.

What I use my phone for - mainly photography, checking night bus times, checking football scores and texts/calls when I need to.

A text is just a text... get on with your life and stop worrying about trivial things. I agree that sometimes when your texts get blanked, it is a bit unwarranted, but just care less. You'll end up less stressed and you'll be able to focus on more important things.
Reply 12
Im so weird with my phone. If get texts alot i'll get all "oh for **** sake **** OFF" even if its a mate but if its silent for a day im checking it all the time.
Reply 13
Also, I hate that when I get into a text conversation someone, I kind of go out of my way to answering them, even though I'm occupied or busy with other people! I feel rude doing that when I'm with people but I'm just strongly drawn to my phone for some reason...! There's just something exciting about seeing that little flashing red light on my Blackberry, *sigh*...
Reply 14
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Has it occured to you that she might be texting for help?

If you look at the third pic the area is taped off with police tape meaning the police are already there.
OP, is your phone a Blackberry by any chance?
Original post by rjm101
If you look at the third pic the area is taped off with police tape meaning the police are already there.

brb gonna facebook status my situation
Original post by Frisby
First, apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum...! I wasn't quite sure if it could fit in here or not...!

Is anyone a bit like me and hates it when you find yourself checking your phone constantly? I hate it when I do that, especially when I'm looking out for a text from a guy or something, *sigh*... I also get frustrated sometimes when people stop replying. Fair enough if it's something like an email, but when it's by phone, I feel like an idiot just waiting for a response...

Sometimes, I hide my phone out of sight and only check it when I get up and before bed. There's something a bit satisfying about being free from my phone and not having to worry about whether I've got a text, etc. I also like to be surprised when I find that I have a text before bed... Equally, I'm disappointed when I find that I have none... Yeah, that's a bit weird, isn't it...

So basically, I hate being a slave to my phone and was wondering if anyone is a bit like me, perhaps...

Funnily enough I'm the exact opposite... Never feel the need to have it nearby and frequently leave it beside my pillow for the day. Some people must think I hate them because I always take a few hours at least replying.
Then again, my phone is a grade-A brick that does nothing besides calling and texting (and even those it's not great at) and texting on it is so laborious that I often become disheartened halfway through writing a text. And I'm a very awkward phonecall recipient..
OMG. Yes. I am addicted. I am anon cause I want to say that the guy I am seeing takes ages to reply and it is torture, absolute torture. I don't know if he is doing it on purpose but I literally glance at my phone every second. If he doesn't reply I text again. I keep thinking he is deliberately ignoring me. I feel liberated though when I leave my phone behind when I go out and come back and see lots of messages. its so rewarding. I rarely do this though. And yes I am the person glued to my phone all day all night. My friends got so annoyed with me but hey I am an addict..
My phone is a slave to me :wink:

That ****er works and I always threaten I'll bin it and get an iPhone instead if it slacks. That's how ya treat em!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending