The Student Room Group

Medicine as european - which university to choose?

Hello everyone,

my name is Moritz, I'm from Germany, and I am currently concidering studying medicine in the UK.

I have two main questions:

1. I didn't take Chemistry until my final secondary-school exams
2. It's already December, almost January, so obviously I'm about 3 months behind the deadline.

So, my question: Is there a university you would recommend for someone in my position?

Thanks for your help, :smile:

Moritz

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty positive you will get 0 offers after the deadline considering the volume of applicants that applied on time.

Take a gap year and apply next year.
Reply 2
Original post by linney
I'm pretty positive you will get 0 offers after the deadline considering the volume of applicants that applied on time.

Take a gap year and apply next year.

And applicants that apply on time are being prefered? I already took a gap year and I started to study in France, since being accepted for medicine in Germany is even harder then in the UK - and the main (and almost only) criterion is the grade of our final examn...

Supposed I want to try anyway, are there universitys where

1. you don't need to have had chemistry
2. it's "easier" to be accepted because they aren't that "popular"?
To be completely honest there isn't a chance you'll get a place this year. Nearly every university requires Chemistry at A level (edit: or Abitur in your case); and between that, UKCAT and BMAT unis also excluded, I don't think it's at all feasible for you to get in this year- and that's ignoring the fact you are way past the deadline. You're application wouldn't even be conidered, sorry
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MoMed
Hello everyone,

my name is Moritz, I'm from Germany, and I am currently concidering studying medicine in the UK.

2. It's already December, almost January, so obviously I'm about 3 months behind the deadline.

So, my question: Is there a university you would recommend for someone in my position?

Moritz

Hi, the deadline for medicine applications in the UK was in October, so you might find it will a bit difficult finding a place now. But there's always next year :smile:
Reply 5
It's pointless to apply after the deadline and it's pointless as an EU applicant to apply without the necessary qualifications (chemistry).
Original post by MoMed
And applicants that apply on time are being prefered? I already took a gap year and I started to study in France, since being accepted for medicine in Germany is even harder then in the UK - and the main (and almost only) criterion is the grade of our final examn...

:lolwut:
Only 10% of EU applicants get a place each year at a UK med school so even if you met the deadline your application would need to be spectacular, equivalent to the top quartile of UK applicants who get a place.

You always need chemistry, except in a couple of cases where you can get away with two or all of biology, maths and physics.

Ironically the less popular schools are the more difficult to get into, they have a much higher competition for places and when you're talking medicine applicants this translates to much higher selection criteria in practice.

Also it was to my understanding that it was much easier to get into a med school in Germany as there is much less competition for places and a lot of demand for doctors
The deadline does not have exceptions, plus without chemistry or a levels you wouldn't get in even if you'd met the deadline. Without Chemistry I doubt very much that you have any work experience or voluntary work either, medicine isn't something you do on a whim, do you research in time for the next cycle. Why aren't you applying in Germany?
Reply 8
Original post by MoMed
Hello everyone,

Moritz

Hallo Moritz. :smile:

1. When you say final secondary-school exams, do you mean Abitur? Did you even do the Abitur? I can't remember whether there are any other German school-leaving qualifications that grant entry to standard academic courses at university right now so you'll have to let us know what it is you have. You say 'until' your final exams, do you mean after? It does not matter whether you took Chemistry before the level required, as long as you have it at the level required (usually British A2 or foreign equivalent).

2. You cannot apply after the deadline, you will be rejected automatically because of being late. In fact UCAS might not even allow you to submit the application without warning you of this, or at all.

Others have asked - why not apply in Germany? It's a hell of a lot cheaper and you'll most likely find that student life at British universities in the early years are quite different from that in Germany (I speak only from limited experience of living with students in Hamburg but I'm fairly sure there is a significant cultural difference).
Original post by MoMed

All med schools are extremely competitive. They are all 'popular'.

In the UK, your place depends on:
minimum grade requirement - for almost all its compulsory to have studied chemistry in your final year.
work experience
personal statement
ukcat/bmat exam result
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Helloworld_95
Only 10% of EU applicants get a place each year at a UK med school so even if you met the deadline your application would need to be spectacular, equivalent to the top quartile of UK applicants who get a place.

Same goes for UK applicants, no? Both EU and UK applicants are considered to be 'Home' students so the selection criteria should be identical for both groups of applicants.
Reply 11
Original post by ilem
Same goes for UK applicants, no? Both EU and UK applicants are considered to be 'Home' students so the selection criteria should be identical for both groups of applicants.

There are only x number of funded places (note: funded doesn't mean free for the student) for students from other countries etc. For instance, in Scotland there are quotas set for Scottish, RUK, EEA, and International applicants.
Reply 12
Original post by Zedd
There are only x number of funded places (note: funded doesn't mean free for the student) for students from other countries etc. For instance, in Scotland there are quotas set for Scottish, RUK, EEA, and International applicants.

EU applicants are not considered to be international, they compete for their places with RUK students. In Scotland, for example, Scottish and EU students are considered to be Home (and pay Scottish fees as a result) while RUK students pay 9k/year.
Original post by MoMed
Hello everyone,

Moritz

The 15th October is deadline for medicine applicants I doubt anyone will look seriously at your application now I would wait until next yrs cohort of your serious about doing medicine in the uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by ilem
EU applicants are not considered to be international, they compete for their places with RUK students. In Scotland, for example, Scottish and EU students are considered to be Home (and pay Scottish fees as a result) while RUK students pay 9k/year.

Sorry, but EEA applicants are not treated the same as RUK or Scottish students in Scotland. It's true that they are basically treated as the same as Scottish applicants in terms of financial support, but that doesn't extend to them being able to take places reserved for Scottish or RUK students. If what you are saying were true then there would be a huge number of students from EEA that are studying medicine in Scotland, which isn't the case.
Reply 15
Original post by Zedd
Sorry, but EEA applicants are not treated the same as RUK or Scottish students in Scotland. It's true that they are basically treated as the same as Scottish applicants in terms of financial support, but that doesn't extend to them being able to take places reserved for Scottish or RUK students. If what you are saying were true then there would be a huge number of students from EEA that are studying medicine in Scotland, which isn't the case.

Not questioning the rest of what you say but what makes you think large numbers of people would want to come here to study Medicine when they can just do it in their own countries, for much less money, and most likely without having to do all the work experience and voluntary work like UK applicants do?

Edit: When I say 'here' I mean the UK, had a moment of emigrant amnesia there... :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Zedd

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/overseas/
'Candidates applying from the European Union are classed as "Home" students, and will be competing for one of the remaining 152 places available.'

http://medicine.dundee.ac.uk/faq
'There are 154 places available of which up to 12 can be allocated to overseas-fee students.'

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/international/
'There are only 18 places for candidates from non-EU countries.'

I couldn't find any information regarding Edinburgh and St. Andrews at a glance but nowhere here does it mention EU students having to compete in a bracket of their own.

As for why there's not many EU students studying Medicine in the UK, Ronove is probably right. The UK medical application process is very tough and daunting compared to most EU countries where grade alone will get you in. It's usually cheaper to study in your own country as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Ronove
Not questioning the rest of what you say but what makes you think large numbers of people would want to come here to study Medicine when they can just do it in their own countries, for much less money, and most likely without having to do all the work experience and voluntary work like UK applicants do?

Edit: When I say 'here' I mean the UK, had a moment of emigrant amnesia there... :tongue:

Is that the case though? Given that degrees from the UK are desirable and that in Scotland, EEA applicants are treated the same as Scottish students in terms of funding. Also, being German, or French, or Italian, etc and getting your degree in an English speaking country is a selling point for those graduates when returning to their country. Granted that might not be so important with something like medicine. Not too sure about it being harder here in regard to shadowing etc, although in France it is certainly easier to get into medicine.

Original post by ilem
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/overseas/
'Candidates applying from the European Union are classed as "Home" students, and will be competing for one of the remaining 152 places available.'

http://medicine.dundee.ac.uk/faq
'There are 154 places available of which up to 12 can be allocated to overseas-fee students.'

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/international/
'There are only 18 places for candidates from non-EU countries.'

I couldn't find any information regarding Edinburgh and St. Andrews at a glance but nowhere here does it mention EU students having to compete in a bracket of their own.

None of these statements tell you how many places are allocated to EEA students. Even in regard to Aberdeen's statement, they say that EEA applicants will be competing for 'the remaining 152 places available'; that is not to say that you are competing for one of the 152 places available, but one of 'the remaining' ones, i.e., the places not allocated to RUK, Scottish, and Internationals. I think it was probably Edinburgh who had some information which alluded to a limit on EEA places, but I'm not sure where you'd find that as someone else linked me to it. Best bet is to check the statistics posted on Aberdeen's website and/or email the various schools.
Reply 18
Original post by Zedd
Is that the case though? Given that degrees from the UK are desirable and that in Scotland, EEA applicants are treated the same as Scottish students in terms of funding. Also, being German, or French, or Italian, etc and getting your degree in an English speaking country is a selling point for those graduates when returning to their country. Granted that might not be so important with something like medicine. Not too sure about it being harder here in regard to shadowing etc, although in France it is certainly easier to get into medicine.

None of these statements tell you how many places are allocated to EEA students. Even in regard to Aberdeen's statement, they say that EEA applicants will be competing for 'the remaining 152 places available'; that is not to say that you are competing for one of the 152 places available, but one of 'the remaining' ones, i.e., the places not allocated to RUK, Scottish, and Internationals. I think it was probably Edinburgh who had some information which alluded to a limit on EEA places, but I'm not sure where you'd find that as someone else linked me to it. Best bet is to check the statistics posted on Aberdeen's website and/or email the various schools.

3 categories of applicants are outlined in Aberdeen's 2012 applicant statistics: Home/EU, RUK and Overseas. Out of 1258 Home/EU applicants 108 enrolled on the course. Most of them are probably Scottish due to proximity, availability of maintenance loans/grants and the difficulty of putting together a successful medical application and additional expenses for EU students. However, no distinction between Home and EU students is mentioned. Rather I believe there is a low amount of students from the EU due to the aforementioned factors. It is without a doubt vastly easier to get admitted into med school in your own country.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/admissions/previous/
Reply 19
Original post by Zedd

Well given that nowhere else I've heard of has any work experience or volunteering requirement whatsoever I'd say that yes, it is harder in that regard. At least for EU sixth-formers who most likely have no idea about this part of the application process at the time they consider applying to study in the UK, at which point it will be too late (not to mention the lack of precedent in terms of non-med students wanting work experience meaning that doctors, at least in Germany, appear to think the idea of letting a non-initiate follow them around or sit in on confidential appointments absolute madness).

However I don't think it is easier overall to do Med in your own country if you do not have very strong grades where they are required. If I had not done so well in my GCSEs I would not be in a position to walk straight in to Med School here in Denmark because they accept people based on their calculated grade average, which for UK applicants means from GCSEs, AS and A2. A few less A*s at GCSE and I would have little to no chance of getting in here, so it's not like it's somewhere any UK student could apply to and get in - for those who didn't get virtually all A*s at GCSE (and now also at A-level - since that A* was introduced the A is no longer worth as many points in the Danish grade translation system), the UK is still going to be much easier to get into.

For EU students I have no idea why you'd think they would want a UK degree. UK degrees really don't get you far in Europe, they're not vocational enough. People ask you what you did and ask what the hell it qualifies you for. There's not the same market for graduates of any academic discipline here. So even if it's not Medicine you're talking about, no, I don't think many EU students would really have any burning desire to go to the UK to study, unless they were particularly enamoured with British culture. The UK is not the haven of superior education that Brits think it is. Maybe to certain cultures in the East, but certainly not in Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending