The Student Room Group

3 out of 4 'danger doctors' are immigrants.

Scroll to see replies

It shouldn't be about being racist. I do not think it is anything to do with being racist.It is about CULTURE DIVERSITY.As for "language" argument- of course it helps to speak English fluently. I do not believe it matters if a Doctor has an accent. You all have accents to me. (I'm Irish) And you don't see me complaining! :tongue:But seriously, If a Doctor has an accent, then fine, if they can speak English, and explain what is needed to be explained, and if they are confident, competent and willing to pull their weight. If they can't speak English fluently- this is a huge problem then obviously.I do not think you can penalise someone for having a heavy accent. I believe that is not only discriminatory but it is utterly ridiculous.I also believe there used to be a lot of racism within the British Mentality. I do believe it is much less than it was. There's still class, social standing and there's the Nationalistic approach and then there are just those who don't like listening carefully.I think people might wish to consider that discriminating those with "foreign accents" or "heavy accents" may be potentially harmful. And I am talking about those of other cultures within the UK- and not to mention possibly those others with accents within Scotland, Ireland and Wales etc. Like another Poster, I would urge you to be cautious and consider in your attitudes, to some of you, because if all those with accents deemed under those suggested "categories" got up and walked, there would be many less Highly Qualified Medical Personel in the NHS - but you might argue then that would open up the spaces to others waiting to get Jobs, who are equally as Qualified. It is one thing having a Qualification, another thing having experience. The point is, is that we -you need to be diverse, because the UK IS diverse, like it or not, and it's here to stay.Also, might I remind you, that in today's age, where once some of those people were in the "minority," some are now in the "majority" as many cultures exist within the UK- and their populations still continue to grow.Of course NHS is one option. There are always alternatives to working the NHS also.
Reply 61
3 out of 4 'good doctors' are immigrants too.
WOW, there is less factual and correct information in this thread than the entire Daily Mail newspaper.
Original post by carcinoma
WOW, there is less factual and correct information in this thread than the entire Daily Mail newspaper.

<M.A.S.>

:hnn:
Reply 64
Original post by MilitaryPatch
It shouldn't be about being racist. I do not think it is anything to do with being racist.It is about CULTURE DIVERSITY.As for "language" argument- of course it helps to speak English fluently. I do not believe it matters if a Doctor has an accent. You all have accents to me. (I'm Irish) And you don't see me complaining! :tongue:But seriously, If a Doctor has an accent, then fine, if they can speak English, and explain what is needed to be explained, and if they are confident, competent and willing to pull their weight. If they can't speak English fluently- this is a huge problem then obviously.I do not think you can penalise someone for having a heavy accent. I believe that is not only discriminatory but it is utterly ridiculous.I also believe there used to be a lot of racism within the British Mentality. I do believe it is much less than it was. There's still class, social standing and there's the Nationalistic approach and then there are just those who don't like listening carefully.I think people might wish to consider that discriminating those with "foreign accents" or "heavy accents" may be potentially harmful. And I am talking about those of other cultures within the UK- and not to mention possibly those others with accents within Scotland, Ireland and Wales etc. Like another Poster, I would urge you to be cautious and consider in your attitudes, to some of you, because if all those with accents deemed under those suggested "categories" got up and walked, there would be many less Highly Qualified Medical Personel in the NHS - but you might argue then that would open up the spaces to others waiting to get Jobs, who are equally as Qualified. It is one thing having a Qualification, another thing having experience. The point is, is that we -you need to be diverse, because the UK IS diverse, like it or not, and it's here to stay.Also, might I remind you, that in today's age, where once some of those people were in the "minority," some are now in the "majority" as many cultures exist within the UK- and their populations still continue to grow.Of course NHS is one option. There are always alternatives to working the NHS also.

I was unaware it was the foreign accents that killed those patients in the article.....
Reply 65
I have had some really terrible care from both foreign doctors and foreign nurses. In some cases they simply don't understand what you're saying, as amazing as that may sound. The number of deaths you can chalk up to an incompetent doctor, even just an incompetent GP, is astounding and we should make sure they are of a good standard.
Original post by Elipsis
I have had some really terrible care from both foreign doctors and foreign nurses. In some cases they simply don't understand what you're saying, as amazing as that may sound. The number of deaths you can chalk up to an incompetent doctor, even just an incompetent GP, is astounding and we should make sure they are of a good standard.

Whoa, whoa, don't say that on here, you'll be labelled a racist.
Original post by Adileh
I was unaware it was the foreign accents that killed those patients in the article.....

very few of the doctors struck off are for fatal errors. most are due to complaints of one form or another which lead to investigations, investigations generally will find dirt - they would on most of us if they looked hard enough.

Fact is that many foreign doctors simply don't communicate as good or in the same way as british trained. Some is language, some is attitude (medicine being far more paternalitic in many countries). Often i think its more misunderstandings than offensiveness.

But i think the mail turns around everything incorrectly based on stats.
Hell they were announcing how we have a n nhs full of 'pervs and reprobates because there are 1000 doctors with criminal records'
they didnt point out most of these are for rather banal offences, nor that far far higher percentage fo the general population has a criminal conviction
I have nothing against the recruitment of immigrant doctors but I think they should all go through the British course first. Should they wish to become doctors in the UK they have the opportunity to apply to a British university and pass the same course that British born doctors pass. Whilst it's all well and good saying some come better qualified we should note that this is only on paper. We, or moreover the NHS, do not know how difficult the course the applicant passed or whether they passed it fairly if they trained abroad. At least if they went through a British course the NHS can be 100% positive that they are competent with both their language skills and their medical practice.

I condemn the notion that the NHS is rife with racism though. The doctor that claimed that should put forward evidence or apologise for such slanderous claims.

I just really wanted an excuse to post this
Original post by Blackburn_Allen

I condemn the notion that the NHS is rife with racism though. The doctor that claimed that should put forward evidence or apologise for such slanderous claims.

It isn't slanderous. It does happen quite a lot.
Original post by Adileh

Me neither.
Original post by carcinoma

Ah well, I see now so. If the Daily Mail wrote it, it MUST be true!

Quick Reply