The Student Room Group

New York woman pushed man to death in hate crime

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Algorithm69
It's usually who Muslims justify hate-crimes against other groups.

This was simply a tragic, but rare and isolated, incident perpetrated by a very nasty person.

I can imagine him coming here and saying that if it wasn't for Muslims this woman would have never committed this murder. Providing an excuse for her actions.
Reply 41
Original post by Steevee
It's a sensitivity thing. It may not have been all Muslims that agreed with or perpetrated the acts, but it was some Muslims and that makes some people uncomfortable with having suge a large Islamic orientated structure near the site. Think if Irish Republicans wanted a memorial or meeting centre in Omagh, or if a Hindu Temple popped up on the site of one of the Sikh massacres of 1984.

The proposed community center would hardly have been built on the memorial, it was several blocks away on some street that was practically abandoned. It was pretty much hidden away - people visiting Ground Zero would never have had to encounter it (unless they were seriously lost). The whole issue had been completely blown out of proportion.
Original post by Robbie242
Are you going to tell me that falling debris caused tower 7 to implode on itself at 5pm that evening. Larry Silverstein even admitted in an interview. ''So I said pull it''

If you are going to put something in quotation marks then make sure the quotation is correct.

"I remember getting a call from the, er, fire department commander, telling me that they were not sure they were gonna be able to contain the fire, and I said, 'We've had such terrible loss of life, maybe the smartest thing to do is pull it.' And they made that decision to pull and we watched the building collapse."

In context, he is not going to commit lives to fighting a fire that was out of control. However, you have to make up a quote.

It is completely absurd that he would suggest on a publicly available documentary that he wanted to blow up a building.
Reply 43
Nope sounds way lesson common than fox news?

Guess you're just talking about big US channels? Press TV is kind of like the Islamic version of Fox, but a lot of people will use it as a source because they have no idea about it's agenda, and only see the report they're looking for. Kind of like Russia Today, which is a good source of another viewpoint, but often people miss their rather obvious bias at points.

Original post by mr hyde
The proposed community center would hardly have been built on the memorial, it was several blocks away on some street that was practically abandoned. It was pretty much hidden away - people visiting Ground Zero would never have had to encounter it (unless they were seriously lost). The whole issue had been completely blown out of proportion.

But I'm sure you can still see the argument. And once it was a national news story it may aswell have been right next to the memorial with neon signs.
Reply 44
What sources did you read to come to the conclusions in the first paragraph?

I'm sorry, is being a Muslim who has read the Qur'an and the hadith not enough? If you don't believe me, I'll be able to find you some direct quotes if you want? But if you're not going to believe me regardless, I'd rather not look.

In your opinion would I be insensitive if I plonked a Marxist School or building next to the scene of the Katyn Massacre? After all not all Marxists are Stalinists.

Plonk a Marxist school in a middle of a forest.... Is there such a thing as a Marxist school?

What dumb example are you going to use next? A paedophile centre next to the grave of Sarah Payne?
Original post by mr hyde
I would agree with you, except for the fact that Islam condemned the attacks. .

Islam doesn't condemn anything. It is not a person.

Most Muslims may condemn it. The fact is that some Muslims justify their actions through the Qu'ran. Accept it and fight them on it.
Reply 47
Original post by Steevee
But I'm sure you can still see the argument. And once it was a national news story it may aswell have been right next to the memorial with neon signs.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, even though I mostly disagree. It's probably better if the center wasn't built anyway if it was just going to so much hate and if it weren't safe for people to visit it.
Reply 48
Original post by DorianGrayism
Islam doesn't condemn anything. It is not a person.

Most Muslims may condemn it. The fact is that some Muslims justify their actions through the Qu'ran. Accept it and fight them on it.

I'm sorry, I should've made myself clearer: when I say Islam condemns the attacks, I mean Islam says that God condemns the attacks (I don't like to say it like that, because it can seem insensitive to say that God said something when people of other religions won't agree that he did).
Original post by Snagprophet
I blame the man for being in a white and Christian country.

Are you trolling or are you for real? :s-smilie:
Reply 50
What sources did you read to come to the conclusions in the first paragraph?

Maybe you should explore other sources instead of the usual anti-Islamic ones. Here is a talk on terrorism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qoPkHjNcMNE

You can find statements by major scholars specifically condemning 9/11.
Reply 51
Original post by mr hyde
Yeah, I get what you're saying, even though I mostly disagree. It's probably better if the center wasn't built anyway if it was just going to so much hate and if it weren't safe for people to visit it.

I'm not sure how I felt about it to be honest. And I doubt it would have been unsafe for people to visit, but in the long run it's probably better it wasn't built there in my opinion.
Don't understand how anyone can be that stupid to believe the US government was behind 9/11

a) You think Americans are smart enough to do this?
b) It would've taken weeks to implant explosives in the towers, someone would've noticed!!
c) Americans are loud mouths and tend to blab alot - yet they've all stayed silent.
d) None of America's enemies has said it was the government
e) It's an expensive way to start a war
f) The amount of things that could've gone wrong
g) A high chance of failure
h) The hundreds of eyewitness accounts all saying a plane flew into the Pentagon, not to mention all the bent and uprooted lampposts outside. Missiles don't do that. Missiles do create craters though and there were no craters at the Pentagon.
i) When planes crash, there tends not to be a lot of wreckage.
The people against it are just dumb or small minded. now if we are taking yours and many others view on 9/11 then Only A SMALL MINORITY took part in the attacks. Building a mosque would show that to Muslims, Americans could be nice to them and respect their religion, whilst remembering that it was a SMALL minority terrorist group that did it.

It's 2012, it's being 11 years I'm sure the American Citizens can put up with new cultures, near once horrific events.
People need to move on realise the bigger picture, otherwise we'll be held back by one-sided opinions for the rest of these years.

islam was the cause of 9/11, why would americans want to facilitate islamic beliefs when it has yet to benefit the country bar a boom in military expansion and arms?

patriotism heavily out weighs islam in america, the prevention of a mosque being built is reflective of the stigma surrounding muslims.
Reply 54
Ah, so you have an incredibly subjective and biased view. Thanks.

Sorry, but "Islam" is not a singular ideology. It is broken and fragmented into groups with completely contradictory viewpoints on pretty much everything. These differing viewpoints stem from the vague and ambiguous nature of the Quran, to the highly selective nature of Hadith "science".

What you think Islam teaches relies on accepting some parts, reading some justifications, and ignoring others. And someone else will ignore the parts you accept, and accept the parts you dismiss. You will both call yourselves Muslims, and you will both argue til the cows come home. You will never agree because your sources are ambiguous nonsense.

Thanks for educating me on my own religion. I really appreciate it. I would give you back an informed reply with quotes from actual primary sources upon which the religion is based, but there won't be any point as I'm sure you'll just claim that I'm being biased (despite the fact that I can leave Islam whenever I choose)/using the wrong translations/or whatever other bs you resort to when you refuse to understand an argument.

It was a hypothetical...a thought experiment. Why are you thinking about the logistics of a thought experiment? And you call me dumb...

OH REALLY? I didn't realise it was a thought experiment. I thought they were actually going to build a Marxist school in the middle of the forest....

and no, I didn't call you dumb....I called the idea dumb.....
Reply 56
Original post by mr hyde
Thanks for educating me on my own religion. I really appreciate it. I would give you back an informed reply with quotes from actual primary sources upon which the religion is based, but there won't be any point as I'm sure you'll just claim that I'm being biased (despite the fact that I can leave Islam whenever I choose)/using the wrong translations/or whatever other bs you resort to when you refuse to understand an argument.

Why are you even bothering him? He told me he hates Islam the other day and he will always look for things to strengthen his claim no matter what anyone says so let him just carry on.
Reply 57
So sad.
Reply 58
Original post by sissoko46
Why are you even bothering him? He told me he hates Islam the other day and he will always look for things to strengthen his claim no matter what anyone says so let him just carry on.

New to the website, rookie mistake :colondollar: +rep for the heads up, though.
Reply 59
Ah, so you have an incredibly subjective and biased view. Thanks.

Sorry, but "Islam" is not a singular ideology. It is broken and fragmented into groups with completely contradictory viewpoints on pretty much everything. These differing viewpoints stem from the vague and ambiguous nature of the Quran, to the highly selective nature of Hadith "science".

What you think Islam teaches relies on accepting some parts, reading some justifications, and ignoring others. And someone else will ignore the parts you accept, and accept the parts you dismiss. You will both call yourselves Muslims, and you will both argue til the cows come home. You will never agree because your sources are ambiguous nonsense.

It was a hypothetical...a thought experiment. Why are you thinking about the logistics of a thought experiment? And you call me dumb...

Why did you ignore my post? I posted a statement by one of the most renowned modern scholars of Islam condemning terrorism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending